Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What components in a Tesla are made from fossil fuels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are asking the wrong question. Fossil Fuels is a generic term for non-renewable energy sources. components ≠ fuel/energy thus your question results in an ⚠︎.

Are you asking what components are derived from petrol products? The answer is approximately 775lbs, about the same as an ICE vehicle.
What would you like to extrapolate from this information @hooty ?

You also have to wonder about Tesla's environmental choice over switching to vegan 'leather', particularly since the world seems to be moving to having a surplus supply of hides from its beef consumption.
I don't think we need to wonder about it honestly. It is a marketing move, not an environmental one.

"Vegan" sells, even if it is worse for the environment. Maybe "organic friendly" would market as well as vegan.

Oil is only a fossil fuel when used as a fuel. It is possible to reuse the long carbon chains in plastics to make new plastics. With enough cheap energy those long carbon chains could be reused indefinitely to make new plastic products (energy is currently too expensive but will continue to drop with additional renewable capacity).
The reason so much plastic is found in cars is because of the weight savings that leads to fuel savings, using plastics can make a huge difference in the lifecycle impact.
Just read the Tesla sustainability report. But ultimately the plastic problem can only be solved long term by much cheaper than fossil energy.

Reactions: m4rtin
I don't think we need to wonder about it honestly. It is a marketing move, not an environmental one.

"Vegan" sells, even if it is worse for the environment. Maybe "organic friendly" would market as well as vegan.
Tesla used to use Cow Leather in their cars, my 2014 Model S has cow leather, but were persuaded to change to “Vegan Leather“ as a result of shareholder action supported by PETA. So more an animal rights or response to shareholder concerns type reason. But I’m sure marketing benefits supported the move.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Wow, that is a heck of a lot of fossil fuels for an electric car.
I wonder how far Tesla is behind Polestar on this issue
You're throwing around a bit of mis-information. I've directly cited teslas impact statement which answers your question. You just need to read it.

Their impact statement explains that fossil use is upstream from tesla in material refinement, which they need to bring inhouse eventually.

This is the polestar report: https://www.polestar.com/dato-assets/11286/1682594257-polestar_sustainabilityreport_2022_eng.pdf

On page 28 it looks like almost 30 CO2e per car for polstar, whereas with the tesla report its actually stated in grams (gCO2e) at 68? It seems crazy that tesla produces many thousands of times less emissions than polstar so maybe i dont understant the units correctly

Last edited:
You're throwing around a bit of mis-information. I've directly cited teslas impact statement which answers your question. You just need to read it.

Their impact statement explains that fossil use is upstream from tesla in material refinement, which they need to bring inhouse eventually.

This is the polestar report: https://www.polestar.com/dato-assets/11286/1682594257-polestar_sustainabilityreport_2022_eng.pdf

On page 28 it looks like almost 30 CO2e per car for polstar, whereas with the tesla report its actually stated in grams (gCO2e) at 68? It seems crazy that tesla produces many thousands of times less emissions than polstar so maybe i dont understant the units correctly

Tesla on page 57, 37 ton CO2e per vehicle
Polestar on page 29, 45 ton CO2e per vehicle

I think this is reasonably similar since they have taken different energy source for the estimation.

Reactions: meloccom
Tesla used to use Cow Leather in their cars, my 2014 Model S has cow leather, but were persuaded to change to “Vegan Leather“ as a result of shareholder action supported by PETA. So more an animal rights or response to shareholder concerns type reason. But I’m sure marketing benefits supported the move.
Yep, 100%. Sure, PETA (can't stand that organization...) did the persuasion, but I think Tesla was easily swayed as the Vegan leather is looked at as more sustainable (maybe false?).