Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What did you do to your Model 3 today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Front end and rear bumper filmed with Suntek Ultra. All side windows tinted with Suntek Carbon. Looks good, despite the fact that it's really mainly preventative rather than fun. Still waiting on my center caps so I can remove the aero wheels. That should make a pretty noticeable difference.

Reactions: TexasTeslaRacing
What is a digital license plate?

IMG_5828.JPG

The best shot I have of it. It's a beta program for the DMV, a company a friend is working for makes. It's got a Kindle-like E-Ink display, so if the power goes out the display stays the same. It comes with a Verizon cell card so it can get updates pushed from the DMV when you pay your registration. It also will display a diagonal banner saying "Expired", if the car is reported stolen the banner says so.

But it has advantages that may make you want to buy it for your car when its out. There will be an app that lets you track where the car has been on your phone. When the car stops it will be able to shrink the image of the plate to the corner and put up a message or image of your choice. It does require power so they wired it to my battery to light the light when it's dark.

-Randy

Last edited:
View attachment 301712

The best shot I have of it. It's a beta program for the DMV, a company a friend is working for makes. It's got a Kindle-like E-Ink display, so if the power goes out the display stays the same. It comes with a Verizon cell card so it can get updates pushed from the DMV when you pay your registration. It also will display a diagonal banner saying "Expired", if the car is reported stolen the banner says so.

But it has advantages that may make you want to buy it for your car when its out. There will be an app that lets you track where the car has been on your phone. When the car stops it will be able to shrink the image of the plate to the corner and put up a message or image of your choice. It does require power so they wired it to my battery to light the light when it's dark.

-Randy

You left out the best part - it will only set you back $599-699 for the plates plus $7-8 monthly service fee (different articles quoted different prices). If DMVs are serious about these - they will need to do something about the prices.

View attachment 301712

-Randy

If this plate means I don’t have to use a front plate then I’d pay top dollar for it... sign me up!!!

I think that's only for the beta period. I cannot imagine they will allow that later. Front plates don't need registration, so likely they will still make the front plate.

Of course, the advantage of a digital plate is you can get a new license plate whenever you want for basically zero cost. That advantage would go away along with time savings for the DMV if you need a matching front plate of metal, perhaps a matching digital plate? A second $600...

-Randy

I think that's only for the beta period. I cannot imagine they will allow that later. Front plates don't need registration, so likely they will still make the front plate.

Of course, the advantage of a digital plate is you can get a new license plate whenever you want for basically zero cost. That advantage would go away along with time savings for the DMV if you need a matching front plate of metal, perhaps a matching digital plate? A second $600...

-Randy

You still need a regular license plate upfront? For the price, I assumed it was digital on both side - only one needs cellular, the front can link to the back. A Kindle e-reader is under $100, an e-ink display for the front should be pretty cheap.

How long does the battery/charge last? How do you recharge it?

You left out the best part - it will only set you back $599-699 for the plates plus $7-8 monthly service fee (different articles quoted different prices). If DMVs are serious about these - they will need to do something about the prices.
I'd imagine that once the tech is vetted and more common, they could just integrate the display into the car body. Then it could use the car's data and power, and when you register the VIN with the DMV, they send the plate data to the car. Would also allow for more aerodynamic designs on the front plate. Of course, given that they are just now toying with doing this with toll transponders, I'm not holding my breath.