Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do I choose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2020 Model Y Long Range, but I am looking to upgrade to an X. I like a lot of the features, and I considered an S, but the X is just so fun. I test drove a 2023 X today, and really enjoyed it, especially all the changes, however... I don't know If It's worth it to get the 2023, or a used 2021 or under. It would be nice to not spend the extra money for a new one, but will the older models suffice? Please give me opinions on what you think and changes, etc. Also, I read that people recommend getting 2019 Raven and above, is that true?

Thank you so much!

Reactions: ModelX
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2020 Model Y Long Range, but I am looking to upgrade to an X. I like a lot of the features, and I considered an S, but the X is just so fun. I test drove a 2023 X today, and really enjoyed it, especially all the changes, however... I don't know If It's worth it to get the 2023, or a used 2021 or under. It would be nice to not spend the extra money for a new one, but will the older models suffice? Please give me opinions on what you think and changes, etc. Also, I read that people recommend getting 2019 Raven and above, is that true?

Thank you so much!
Also, I don't charge at home, and only use superchargers.

Compared to 120k originally, it’s a bargain.

Depends on the person. I'm thinking it is more 'reasonably priced' compared to when it was $120k and way overpriced. The build quality is still somewhat lacking for an $80k vehicle. It is now within range of the BMW iX and MB EQE/EQS SUV. I'm only comparing 5 seater version since you're comparing an $80k vehicle.

Now that you have Kia EV9, Volvo EX90 (with more seats) coming out at similar price points with probably better build quality, I would say Model X has more room to drop to be considered a bargain. My bargain price for the Model X is around $65k-70k not including tax credit.

Example: Going from the Acura RDX (5 seater) to Acura MDX (7 seater) is only a $5k difference with a bigger size, and more luxurious features. Model Y to Model X, given its upgrades, should be at most a $15k difference, not $27k currently.

Last edited:
Depends on the person. I'm thinking it is more 'reasonably priced' compared to when it was $120k and way overpriced. The build quality is still somewhat lacking for an $80k vehicle. It is now within range of the BMW iX and MB EQE/EQS SUV. I'm only comparing 5 seater version since you're comparing an $80k vehicle.

Now that you have Kia EV9, Volvo EX90 (with more seats) coming out at similar price points with probably better build quality, I would say Model X has more room to drop to be considered a bargain. My bargain price for the Model X is around $65k-70k not including tax credit.

Example: Going from the Acura RDX (5 seater) to Acura MDX (7 seater) is only a $5k difference with a bigger size, and more luxurious features. Model Y to Model X, given its upgrades, should be at most a $15k difference, not $27k currently.
Cheapest spec iX with anywhere close to the features of the MX is $95-100k, and that's for the xDrive50, which is a good deal slower than the MXLR, but performance seems to get ignored in all these conversations. Saying the MX is "within [price] range" of the MB EQS at this point is so incorrect I don't even know where to start.

Having owned a Palisade, I couldn't even imagine paying more for a Kia EV9 than an MX. I've heard many say that the Tesla doesn't look or feel like it belongs at the price point it's at, but it's even more true for the Kia, which is running north of $80k for the GT model with dealer markup (and incidentally, pretty much impossible to get).

I think people really need to take a hard look at what $80k actually buys nowadays. It's not what it used to be.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Cheapest spec iX with anywhere close to the features of the MX is $95-100k, and that's for the xDrive50, which is a good deal slower than the MXLR, but performance seems to get ignored in all these conversations. Saying the MX is "within [price] range" of the MB EQS at this point is so incorrect I don't even know where to start.

Having owned a Palisade, I couldn't even imagine paying more for a Kia EV9 than an MX. I've heard many say that the Tesla doesn't look or feel like it belongs at the price point it's at, but it's even more true for the Kia, which is running north of $80k for the GT model with dealer markup (and incidentally, pretty much impossible to get).

I think people really need to take a hard look at what $80k actually buys nowadays. It's not what it used to be.

Have you looked at leases for the BMW iX and the Mercedes Benz EQS/EQE lately? They're cheaper to lease than the leases for a Model X. A BMW iX has been leased for $700-750 a month. A Merc Benz EQE lease is around $800 a month. Check leasehackr. A lease for the Model X is $1100 a month for 10k miles/36 months for the 5 seater version. A Mercedes EQS SUV can be leased for the same price.

Also, dealers are offering $10-12% MSRP off a BMW iX and 15.5% off the Mercedes EQS SUV. EQE is also around the same discount, which makes it on the SAME price range as the Model X.

Again, I don't count MSRP BECAUSE NOBODY buys a BMW or MB at MSRP. You have to look at the final cost.

Given that Tesla seems to drop their prices at a moment's notice, I would be more inclined to lease.

Here are links.

Also, to reiterate- a car is not just about performance. It's about the overall experience- buying, build quality, luxury features, driving experience, servicing, etc. Don't just focus on one thing. Tesla Model X to me has the wow factor, yes but how reliable is that wow factor when you see build quality issues/rattles, squeaks, trim coming apart, misalignment issues, etc. I test drove the Model X and noted so many rattles and squeaks while driving. These issues are much more rare in a BMW/MB and I wouldn't have to be as vigilant on delivery of one of these vs buying a Tesla. Not a good look for Tesla.

Nevertheless, I am buying a Model X to try it out, but at the first sign of trouble, I'm dumping it.

Last edited:
Have you looked at leases for the BMW iX and the Mercedes Benz EQS/EQE lately? They're cheaper to lease than the leases for a Model X.
Interesting. I'm not a fan of leasing, personally, since I buy and sell too often and don't like getting trapped.

If leasing terms are making $95-130k cars cheaper than an $80k MX, they ought to be advertising better because that's a good deal!

Interesting. I'm not a fan of leasing, personally, since I buy and sell too often and don't like getting trapped.

If leasing terms are making $95-130k cars cheaper than an $80k MX, they ought to be advertising better because that's a good deal!

Yeah, they don't. I'm not sure why, but they do take advantage of the $7500 leasing credit that Tesla doesn't.

This is an example: iX M60 lease at $114k MSRP for only $997 monthly payment after $3k due at signing, for an effective $0 down $1067 monthly cost for 36 months/10k miles. It's cheaper than Tesla Model X 5 seater tax credit edition. with a Model X, you're paying $7500 down PLUS $1099 monthly payment for 36 months/10k miles. It means that they think the Model X will depreciate crazy fast given that kind of payment. It's almost like financing.

Admittedly this is the best lease deal posted but it's a lease on a disco ball EQS for less than what it would cost to lease the Y:

Have you looked at leases for the BMW iX and the Mercedes Benz EQS/EQE lately? They're cheaper to lease than the leases for a Model X. A BMW iX has been leased for $700-750 a month. A Merc Benz EQE lease is around $800 a month. Check leasehackr. A lease for the Model X is $1100 a month for 10k miles/36 months for the 5 seater version. A Mercedes EQS SUV can be leased for the same price.

Also, dealers are offering $10-12% MSRP off a BMW iX and 15.5% off the Mercedes EQS SUV. EQE is also around the same discount, which makes it on the SAME price range as the Model X.

Again, I don't count MSRP BECAUSE NOBODY buys a BMW or MB at MSRP. You have to look at the final cost.

Given that Tesla seems to drop their prices at a moment's notice, I would be more inclined to lease.

Here are links.

Also, to reiterate- a car is not just about performance. It's about the overall experience- buying, build quality, luxury features, driving experience, servicing, etc. Don't just focus on one thing. Tesla Model X to me has the wow factor, yes but how reliable is that wow factor when you see build quality issues/rattles, squeaks, trim coming apart, misalignment issues, etc. I test drove the Model X and noted so many rattles and squeaks while driving. These issues are much more rare in a BMW/MB and I wouldn't have to be as vigilant on delivery of one of these vs buying a Tesla. Not a good look for Tesla.

Nevertheless, I am buying a Model X to try it out, but at the first sign of trouble, I'm dumping it.
I’ll be waiting to pick up your vehicle since the resale value is not so great

• Funny
Reactions: Tiger