Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do other EVs do in terms of consumption, range and charging speed compared to Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The manufacturers still haven't fully gotten this message---they still always make less efficient larger wheels standard with the upper trims. GM is still doing it like it's 1992, except average wheel size is 20 instead of 15.

The Chevy Equinox has 20" or 21" wheels with 21 only on all but the basic lines. 21"?? On a Camry people mover? Insane.
You can look at the Hyundai Ioniq 6, where the more efficient 18" wheels are only available on the lower SE trim, so if you want the stuff on the higher trims, you need to take the less efficient 20" wheels.

Tesla is just as bad. If I could get a non pup Y I may have by now. Really don't want the range reducing 21"ers, but anything less than the p will feel pedestrian after the M3 p-
I agree. I think they should offer a "tour" package that is Performance motor and exterior but with comfort wheels and tires and adaptive suspension. Directly target BMW Neue Klasse.

IIRC, Porsche CEO Oliver Blume has stated that Mercedes EQXX shows the way for future EVs, with efficiency being very impactful to a positive customer experience. Quite a concession to a major competitor. Hopefully we will see greatly increased efficiency in future Porsche EVs.

GSP
That why I still have a deposit on the Aptera, the thought of how cheap that travel will be despite the weird body and the looks I'll get.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
That why I still have a deposit on the Aptera, the thought of how cheap that travel will be despite the weird body and the looks I'll get.
Ah. But you are in the UK forum, where unfortunately, aptera don't seem to have a plan for how to come to market here. It breaks some fairly basic rules for EU road use (can't remember which, something like too wide for it's intended class designation) and despite desperately trawling their site I've not found even the slightest hint of them planning to address this. It's like for the sake of designing the car 3 inches narrower they have instead decided to challenge the EU road laws. As amazing a vehicle as it is, this is also not efficient, so I decided it was unlikely to make it here in Any reasonable timeline.

Would have loved to put a deposit down tho. Also their 'share issue' that you dont seem to get shares for also concerns me. So I watch from the side with interest rather than getting involved.

Ah. But you are in the UK forum, where unfortunately, aptera don't seem to have a plan for how to come to market here. It breaks some fairly basic rules for EU road use (can't remember which, something like too wide for it's intended class designation) and despite desperately trawling their site I've not found even the slightest hint of them planning to address this. It's like for the sake of designing the car 3 inches narrower they have instead decided to challenge the EU road laws. As amazing a vehicle as it is, this is also not efficient, so I decided it was unlikely to make it here in Any reasonable timeline.

Would have loved to put a deposit down tho. Also their 'share issue' that you dont seem to get shares for also concerns me. So I watch from the side with interest rather than getting involved.

There is an update that includes some UK/European countries relevant comments
It is acknowledged that if based in th UK the solar panels may add only 25% of the range that would be added in California.

You would never get it comfortably parked in a UK supermarket parking space... it's the widest vehicle that ever only carried two people!

Reactions: init6 and Avendit
Tesla is just as bad. If I could get a non pup Y I may have by now. Really don't want the range reducing 21"ers, but anything less than the p will feel pedestrian after the M3 p-
If I decide to get a Model 3 performance, I will get aftermarket 18” wheels that fit with the performance brakes. IIRC Martian makes them. Perhaps efficient aftermarket wheels and tires will provide what you are looking for in a Model Y Performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avendit
There is an update that includes some UK/European countries relevant comments
It is acknowledged that if based in th UK the solar panels may add only 25% of the range that would be added in California.

You would never get it comfortably parked in a UK supermarket parking space... it's the widest vehicle that ever only carried two people!
This was the old thread that broke the pretence for me: International Aptera Info | Aptera |

"you can’t make a three-wheel category M1 or N1 vehicle, they’re forced into category L5, and category L vehicles are maximum 2 m wide, 4 m long, both of which they exceed."

• Informative