Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do while supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually grab a Chipotle salad before stopping at a supercharger. There's several Chipotles in Albuquerque but none in northern NM so it's slways fun to stop there for lunch or dinner when passing thru ABQ, and eat it while charging. I've done the Chipotle near the SC in downtown Colo Springs as well as the one at the SC in Tejon Ranch CA. Wish all SCs came with Chipotles :)

Reactions: Joeker88
Boring I know but I created a driver profile called "Charging" that moves my seat way back, then I get my laptop out, tether to my phone and catch up on work emails. Then when I'm done I click on my regular driver profile which puts everything back then take off.
I literally do the exact same thing. "Charging" profile and all. Awesome.

Some stops are rather brief, so not much other than taking care of any biobreaks anyone might need and taking a short stroll about the area.

Longer stops will see us taking a 2-3 mile walk or perhaps grabbing a bite to eat. My son and I have a "tradition" of grabbing a beer at Chili's in Barstow while the car charges.

Stops approaching an hour will usually involve fiddling around on my phone until I reach the desired level of charge.

Reactions: Ulmo and Joeker88
I tend to take a walk, often with audio books on my MP3 player, to get some exercise. And, since I always bring my own food on road trips and never visit restaurants, I'll often eat something from what I brought with me. Besides a restroom, my favorite Supercharger Station amenity is a nearby grocery store (but I've only come across two: Farmington NM and Moab UT).

My S60 takes at least double the charge time of the bigger battery cars so I have plenty of time for my walks. Before getting the Model S I used to do much the same in my ICEV by stopping periodically at rest areas.

I've only had my car 1 month 1 week, so I'm open to lots of ideas, but so far:
  1. Wish my car was a transformer and transformed into a bedroom complete with nice bed and a shower so I could take a shower and sleep for a while.
  2. Update my destination plan accuracy and detail.
  3. Verify and confirm plans upcoming.
  4. Clean my car.
  5. Answer messages.
  6. Small amount of paperwork.
  7. Meditate.
  8. Listen to music (rare while at SuperCharger).
  9. Eat (depending on my input needs and available options)
  10. Shop (depending on my shopping needs and available options)
  11. Get coffee (depending on my coffee needs)
  12. Take a nap. See #1. Sometimes I try to do it by leaning the chair down, which never works. I have a plan to take a lot of junk out of my trunk and install a perfectly flat platform (that is not rigid so it offers no crash dangers), and a vent to vent air from the middle of the car to the rear, and tint some windows, so I can actually take a 20 minute nap. I've only actually done this once, and it felt like too much of a hassle moving extra stuff around at the time, and the non-flat surface was bad, and my feet got very cold.
  13. Talk with other SuperCharger users. Very rare, and usually very short conversations, and usually about snow tire conditions in the coming mountain roads with snow in SuperChargers that are on the way to such areas.
  14. Futz around on computers.

I tend to take a walk, often with audio books on my MP3 player, to get some exercise. And, since I always bring my own food on road trips and never visit restaurants, I'll often eat something from what I brought with me. Besides a restroom, my favorite Supercharger Station amenity is a nearby grocery store (but I've only come across two: Farmington NM and Moab UT).

My S60 takes at least double the charge time of the bigger battery cars so I have plenty of time for my walks. Before getting the Model S I used to do much the same in my ICEV by stopping periodically at rest areas.

dgp, for future reference on your travels:

Grocery stores are proximate (my definition is <1/4 mile) to Fresno (Target), Mt. Shasta City (across the main road near the railroad tracks), Corning (Safeway one block north), Mojave (in the same parking lot due east of the stalls) and Flagstaff (across Beulah). I am sure there are others, but these come to mind.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush

Grocery stores are proximate (my definition is <1/4 mile) to Fresno (Target), Mt. Shasta City (across the main road near the railroad tracks), Corning (Safeway one block north), Mojave (in the same parking lot due east of the stalls) and Flagstaff (across Beulah). I am sure there are others, but these come to mind.

Harrisburg, PA is in the lot of a Weis grocery store, with a note that they are paying for the power.

That's nice to know.

I've been to 34 Supercharger Stations but the only one on your list has been Flagstaff and that is an overnight stop for me, usually getting in late and leaving early (grocery shopping during the morning charge would be useful). That may change if a Kayenta Supercharger Station opens and shortens my home to Flagstaff route.

Supercharger time is perfect for diaper changes and eating for the kiddos, and gives us pause to get some fresh air.

If I happen to be traveling solo, I prefer to chat with other owners- for some reason however I haven't run into many friendly/chatty South Florida owners.

• Funny
Reactions: Texas