Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you hate about your M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ha! I can see you're a new member with that view...

Tesla is the biggest short in the US stock market

.. and we get many of them posting every little issue they can find with the 3 (and S and X) here (and so full of hate in their comments) because the shorts are losing their shirt -- so, so much for a "lovefest".

But it is a Tesla forum so of course many of us here are bias in favour of Tesla and that certainly shouldn't surprise anyone.

In any event, "hate" is too strong of a word for me, but after driving my 3 through the mountain passes in the rain I found water in my rear left tail light. No hate at all and I can't even really call this a concern since I went through it with my S and both rear headlights -- and they were fixed fine. But really, Tesla, I would think this problem would solved on the 3 ! ...

View attachment 308451 View attachment 308454
I had condensation in my driver side tail light on delivery. Wonder if they just had a bad batch of tail lights...

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I got delivery yesterday afternoon in Vancouver. Came home and charged the car to 420 km using HPWC. I turned the Bluetooth off on my phone at night. This morning when I turned it back on, the car had lost 10km. I read some posts about vampire drain but I’m unable to pinpoint the exact reason for the charge loss overnight. Anyone else having same issue?
The one time I paid attention I saw it lost 2km in about 20 hours.

This thread gives me two possibilities for things I might not like.

One person said they didn't think their rear view mirror was auto-dimming. Can anyone else comment on whether this is true or not? I would be sad if it wasn't. My Model S is the first car I've had with an auto-dimming rear view mirror and I find it totally awesome. Same question applies for side mirrors. Auto-dimming is totally awesome. I used to perhaps dangerously set my side mirrors to point at the ground during my frequent long night drives because I couldn't stand the constant head lights shining in my eyes, especially with newer cars these days that have insanely bright head lights. Not having to deal with this anymore is a godsend that I hope will also apply to the Model 3 if I get one to replace my S.

Second is ease of entry and exit. Perhaps due to safety and aerodynamic constraints, the Model S is the hardest car to get in and out of that I have ever owned. To get in without doing the butt first old person thing (which also doesn't work perfectly because then the top of my head hits a bit even with seat at lowest position), I have to lead with my shoulder, put my head in my crotch, and perform a twisting maneuver that is hard on my knee. And my butt always drags on the interior panel which will surely wear it out in time. I would be a little sad if the 3 was no better. (The Model X, however, is extremely easy to get in and out of, and that alone makes the Model X a tempting proposition)

This thread gives me two possibilities for things I might not like.

One person said they didn't think their rear view mirror was auto-dimming. Can anyone else comment on whether this is true or not? I would be sad if it wasn't. My Model S is the first car I've had with an auto-dimming rear view mirror and I find it totally awesome. Same question applies for side mirrors. Auto-dimming is totally awesome. I used to perhaps dangerously set my side mirrors to point at the ground during my frequent long night drives because I couldn't stand the constant head lights shining in my eyes, especially with newer cars these days that have insanely bright head lights. Not having to deal with this anymore is a godsend that I hope will also apply to the Model 3 if I get one to replace my S.

Second is ease of entry and exit. Perhaps due to safety and aerodynamic constraints, the Model S is the hardest car to get in and out of that I have ever owned. To get in without doing the butt first old person thing (which also doesn't work perfectly because then the top of my head hits a bit even with seat at lowest position), I have to lead with my shoulder, put my head in my crotch, and perform a twisting maneuver that is hard on my knee. And my butt always drags on the interior panel which will surely wear it out in time. I would be a little sad if the 3 was no better. (The Model X, however, is extremely easy to get in and out of, and that alone makes the Model X a tempting proposition)

I feel like my mirrors did auto dim. just drove it and the lights in my mirrors appeared muted.

did anybody's Model 3 come with windshield washer fluid? apparently mine didn't.

Mine did -- and I like how it sprays from the wipers better than how it sprays on my S.

I guess it's too much to expect windshield washer fluid in an 70k+ car.

Cue the violins. I hate the "70+" argument (it's the $100+ argument in the S/X threads by people with your view). I guess someone who buys a $35k vehicle doesn't deserve washer fluid? Or, perhaps they can only be 1/2 as upset as you are having paid double? With your logic, my S deserves to have it more than my 3. I just don't see it that way. Who cares what it cost? It was a mistake. Tesla makes more of those many other car makers because they are practically brand new and had to hire people off the street to prep and deliver hundreds of cars. Or did you expect them to have those people in place already in Vancouver? And hiring people off the street in this market is very difficult, to say the least, having interviewed people over the past 25 years for my business -- now it's really tough and the good ones interview me. Most people who don't have jobs, don't have them for a reason. So if there wasn't someone's fluid who wasn't filled, I would be surprised. I wouldn't take it as offensive because of what I paid for the car. That argument always make me cringe.

Last edited:
Mine did -- and I like how it sprays from the wipers better than how it sprays on my S.

Cue the violins. I hate the "70+" argument (it's the $100+ argument in the S/X threads by people with your view). I guess someone who buys a $35k vehicle doesn't deserve washer fluid? Or, perhaps they can only be 1/2 as upset as you are having paid double? With your logic, my S deserves to have it more than my 3. I just don't see it that way. Who cares what it cost? It was a mistake. Tesla makes more of those many other car makers because they are practically brand new and had to hire people off the street to prep and deliver hundreds of cars. Or did you expect them to have those people in place already in Vancouver? And hiring people off the street in this market is very difficult, to say the least, having interviewed people over the past 25 years for my business -- now it's really tough and the good ones interview me. Most people who don't have jobs, don't have them for a reason. So if there wasn't someone's fluid who wasn't filled, I would be surprised. I wouldn't take it as offensive because of what I paid for the car. That argument always make me cringe.

Sho-sho-sho-shooooould the....sho-sho-should the....the the guy in the..in the 70 thousand car, be filling up his own windshield washer fluid??? COME ON!

GOBComeOn.jpg

I would be surprised if this was an intentional omission (and if it was, then in my view, that would be awful irrespective of the price of the car) and was likely just a matter of them scrambling to get cars prepped for delivery and out the door.

Having said that, in terms of the "$70K+ violin argument", I used to have a Range Rover Evoque (the "baby rover") which I just gave back off lease. My first service was free, the remaining mandatory services I had to pay for. Notwithstanding what they charged for the oil change etc, they routinely charged me $4.50 to refill the washer fluid. One time, I know my bottle was full or near full, because I had just recently filled it, and they still charged me! Again, leaving aside that I can buy washer fluid for a fraction of that, (and Jiffy Lube fills it for free), if they are going to charge me for it when they clearly did not fill it, at least give me the bottle! (this would drive me nuts)

Cue the violins. I hate the "70+" argument (it's the $100+ argument in the S/X threads by people with your view).

Your point would normally be valid for any other car, but think about it another way. Assume you bought a $15K Kia. Would you have to even think about paint quality, panel gaps, or a host of other nagging issues, including the windshield washer level when you pick the car up? Some people who picked up cars at IC had <50% charge. Does that make sense? Any Kia dealer will fill the tank of any car they sell and that would cost far more than fully charging a Model 3.

The point people are making with the $70K+ car argument is that all of these little details make a big difference in the perception initial quality of a car at this price level. If you compare the Model 3 to similarly priced German or Japanese cars the expectation of quality and service should be the same.

Tesla is in the honeymoon period where early adopters will over look some of these minors issues, but based on the number of more negative comments starting to emerge in the forums (including some that I have made) the honeymoon will end pretty quickly and Tesla won't get away with skipping the little details - yes, because it's a $70K+ car.

Reactions: Cory_YXU
I feel like my mirrors did auto dim. just drove it and the lights in my mirrors appeared muted.
If it's like my 2014 S, it should be pretty apparent. There is an obvious line around the edge of the mirrors, just maybe a quarter inch or less from the edge, that marks the edges of the dimming area. When it dims, the area in the middle is darker, but there is still a small non-dark rim around the edges.

I hate the fact that I'm sitting here at work and not out driving my Model 3.

Will be bringing it downtown tomorrow to show co-workers who will be having an employee BBQ lunch on the sidewalk outside our office. Side note, but has anyone done up a printable info sheet/card for Model 3 FAQ? Fingers crossed that I don't lose LTE and have the black screen issue that happened last night, which - paired with the soggy trunk situation - is all I have for issues so far.

Mine doesnt have it. Just tried today. SMH. If its empty why doesnt it show an indicator to fill it up? What's the deal? Has anyone complained to a service center yet?

I thought the same thing. However, the wiper button has two states. A gentle press will trigger the wipers and a much firmer press/click triggers the spray. It took more effort than I expected, so try that.

So, while driving around, i decided to fck around and activate the santas sleigh Easter egg... I don't know what happened, but I couldn't turn it off after starting. I went back to the easter egg settings, and clicked the button to turn off, but it wouldn't. It would just restart the damn song. My wife was getting super pissed that I started it in the first place. Lol. Eventually I had to activate the radio and I think that overrode it.

Not sure why it messed up. Could have been because I got a call at the same time I activated it. Even after accepting the call it was playing run Rudolph run on top of the call.

So, while driving around, i decided to fck around and activate the santas sleigh Easter egg... I don't know what happened, but I couldn't turn it off after starting. I went back to the easter egg settings, and clicked the button to turn off, but it wouldn't. It would just restart the damn song. My wife was getting super pissed that I started it in the first place. Lol. Eventually I had to activate the radio and I think that overrode it.

Not sure why it messed up. Could have been because I got a call at the same time I activated it. Even after accepting the call it was playing run Rudolph run on top of the call.
Happened to me too, turned it on and it wouldn't go off even after I turned off the easter egg. Had to reboot the MCU to fix it. Glad I wasn't driving when it happened.

I hate the fact that I'm sitting here at work and not out driving my Model 3.

Will be bringing it downtown tomorrow to show co-workers who will be having an employee BBQ lunch on the sidewalk outside our office. Side note, but has anyone done up a printable info sheet/card for Model 3 FAQ? Fingers crossed that I don't lose LTE and have the black screen issue that happened last night, which - paired with the soggy trunk situation - is all I have for issues so far.

Was the black screen issue after the software update? My car updated last night and I had a black screen this morning when I first went into the car. I rebooted the screen by pushing both buttons on the steering wheel for a few seconds and that seemed to fix it.