Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is causing the limited tow capability of the new Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hear Naperville is beautiful

Indeed it is beautiful.

One reason why I keep using Teslas system to get there is because I want to watch the system as it advances update after update.

4 years ago there were numerous interventions on the expressway and NO local navigation - from my driveway to Naperville. Now there aren't any interventions on the expressway nor local and getting better.

I'm retired now, but I worked in Naperville for decades. I traveled there EVERY weekday since I got my P3D and engaged Teslas system home to work and work to home. 65 miles per day.

Again, not a CT only problem.

Gooseneck, fifth wheel, extended fuel tanks have been taking up bed space for decades. Buy that king bed diesel/petrol 3/4ton and enjoy life. Be less stressed on EV towing.

I can’t speak to how the range extender works. I can say that anyone with the illusion of rolling into a supercharger and getting to 80% from 10 or less, in an hour… is a bit removed from reality.

What mi/kWh / Wh/mi are you thinking you’re achieving with a brick on wheels? For the 250+ while towing it the 350+ not.

This isn’t much more than a math problem. We need 1kWh (on average) to travel 1mi while towing at a constant speed on level ground without accounting for the wind in the area or any other factor (hvac, wipers, cooled/heated seats, 12v refrigerator, travel trailer 12v backfeed).
How much money are you looking to spend for the 250kWh cybertruck? how large should it physically be in order to account for this pack? Are you willing to give up 8” of ground clearance for the double stack?
I get all of that. I really do. I understand that towing always uses signifigantly more energy. I get hat comprimises must be made. I even said it before.

The issue is the expectations. If Tesla had setup the megachargers and put in a truly 500mi EPA range battery in the Cybertruck, it would be compelling. Like a 200kwh battery could be chaged at a peak of 500kw, in a space that allowed for trailers. I would be in full scale "shut up and take my money" mode. Even considering all the other BS I've been thru with them over the years.

Instead Tesla compromised the functionality it promised for a design asthetic it promised. Which IMO is just annyoing, cause I want Tesla to succeed and I want an electric truck. But instead Tesla made a six figure toy.

Last edited:
I get all of that. I really do. I understand that towing always uses signifigantly more energy. I get hat comprimises must be made. I even said it before.

The issue is the expectations. If Tesla had setup the megachargers and put in a truly 500mi EPA range battery in the Cybertruck, it would be compelling. Like a 200kwh battery could be chaged at a peak of 500kw, in a space that allowed for trailers. I would be in full scale "shut up and take my money" mode. Even considering all the other BS I've been thru with them over the years.

Instead Tesla compromised the functionality it promised for a design asthetic it promised. Which IMO is just annyoing, cause
I want Tesla to succeed and I want an electric truck. But instead Tesla made a six figure toy.

Tesla is currently succeeding with their toy. No need to worry.

They will continue to succeed - toy or not.

The CT has too many successful features to fail in a single area. If anyone believes that the CT has failed on towing - fine - that won't stop its success.
How many people do you see on the roads towing something? If Tesla loses the towing customer base for now.... ok fine.... it's still selling its other features just fine.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Tesla is currently succeeding with their toy. No need to worry.

They will continue to succeed - toy or not.

The CT has too many successful features to fail in a single area. If anyone believes that the CT has failed on towing - fine - that won't stop its success.
How many people do you see on the roads towing something? If Tesla loses the towing customer base for now.... ok fine.... it's still selling its other features just fine.
That is the culture around Tesla, no improvement, we do things our way and if you don't like it, screw off.

I used to be like you, fresh and new to Tesla. Give it a few years, they'll beat that optimism right out of you. Wait for the first five figure service bill after your car sits broken for six months. Or my personal favorite, when a key feature you enjoy is taken away with a software update.

Instead Tesla compromised the functionality it promised for a design asthetic it promised. Which IMO is just annyoing, cause I want Tesla to succeed and I want an electric truck. But instead Tesla made a six figure toy.
The CT was never going to use mega chargers, have you seen how large that semi pack is? the vehicle sells for 250k base.

The moment the CT became a 5 passenger, no frunk vehicle, you should have realized that the customer base was soccer practice and weekend project runs to Home Depot/boat to the local lake. 500mi was on the prototype announcement, that truck doesn’t exist in anyway but name. That truck also had a driver display/cluster, why no uproar?

Tesla delivered the most close to concept vehicle in recent years. When everyone was hung up on it never going to look that way. Now it’s zomg I didn’t get the range the concept promised. Likely from the same camp screaming why they can’t have their new roadsters with promised features for promised money. 😵‍💫

It’ll be something else next update or announcement. Robo taxi and 5DU will upset someone. Despite 5DU being absolutely amazing.

How much would you be willing to pay for 200kWh? the weight would go up and the range would go down. /cough/ hummer ev.

Until you get to the semi truck, you’re not getting the range you hope to have. Now think vehicle weight to range there. At the end of the day it seems as though expectations weren’t managed by yourself, being that data with EVs and towing have been around. 1:1 being highly understood.

That is the culture around Tesla, no improvement, we do things our way and if you don't like it, screw off.

I used to be like you, fresh and new to Tesla. Give it a few years, they'll beat that optimism right out of you. Wait for the first five figure service bill after your car sits broken for six months. Or my personal favorite, when a key feature you enjoy is taken away with a software update.

LOL,

I am certainly not NEW to Tesla. My P3D has 182k miles on it. 5 years old.

My P3D is nothing like it used to be 5 years ago as far as features and tech is concerned. Vast improvements. Thats why my optimism is where it is. Tons of new features and function. New things like longer range/shorter 0-60 times/free supercharging for life/ Netflix/hulu/Smart Summon/ etc. Thats where my confidence/optimism for Tesla comes in to play. I have all confidence that my CT ownership will be the same.

This was me 6 years ago (4 in the morning) waiting in line in the rain on 1st day to reserve my Model 3. I'm in the blue tarp on the other side of the tent - camped out for hours and hours without even seeing the vehicle. The reveal of what it looked like was that night.

IMG_20160331_063154996_TOP.jpg

IMG_20160331_084909658_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thyname
Tesla delivered the most close to concept vehicle in recent years. When everyone was hung up on it never going to look that way. Now it’s zomg I didn’t get the range the concept promised. Likely from the same camp screaming why they can’t have their new roadsters with promised features for promised money. 😵‍💫
@gtgarner @buckets0fun

You guys aren't worried about Tesla losing people like me? I was patient number 0. If I wasn't still in college when the first roadster came out, I would have owned one of those. I saved and planned and started a business to get my first Model S. Then came the years of lies and overpromises, the hype, the service center experiences (dozens of them), the terrible sales experience in 2020, the 11 month wait for a windshield, the driver's seat that couldn't be adjusted, the failed MCU that couldn't be replaced because of software updates, the lost business lease turn in (still dealing with that one).

I actually had the money set aside to buy a new Model S this year and a Cybertruck next year. After the lease turn in nightmare, I opted to buy a used Model S and cancelled my order of a new one (I ate the $250 deposit); with a wait and see attitude towards the Cybertruck. Imagine my disappointment when it didn't end up being a truck...

Last edited:
@gtgarner @buckets0fun

You guys aren't worried about Tesla losing people like me? I was patient number 0. If I wasn't still in college when the first roadster came out, I would have owned one of those. I saved and planned and started a business to get my first Model S. Then came the years of lies and overpromises, the hype, the service center experiences (dozens of them), the terrible sales experience in 2020, the 11 month wait for a windshield, the driver's seat that couldn't be adjusted, the failed MCU that couldn't be replaced because of software updates, the lost business lease turn in (still dealing with that one).

I actually had the money set aside to buy a new Model S this year and a Cybertruck next year. After the lease turn in nightmare, I opted to buy a used Model S and cancelled my order of a new (I ate the $250 deposit); with a wait and see attitude towards the Cybertruck. Imagine my disappointment when it didn't end up being a truck...
Why would anyone here be "worried" about Tesla losing anyone?

What an odd thing to say.

• Funny
Reactions: gtgarner
@gtgarner @buckets0fun

I actually had the money set aside to buy a new Model S this year and a Cybertruck next year. After the lease turn in nightmare, I opted to buy a used Model S and cancelled my order of a new (I ate the $250 deposit); with a wait and see attitude towards the Cybertruck. Imagine my disappointment when it didn't end up being a truck...
I feel for you. My experiences are similar.

@gtgarner @buckets0fun

Well, not really.

My Tesla stock is up 1800% because of the confidence of an entirely different group.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Losing a customer, one who has spent nearly $200,000 on their products. More money than I have spent with any other individual company, probably more than I've spent on all my other current possessions (other than houses) combined.
Again, why would any of us...on a message board be worried about that?

More power to you. Good luck!

Yes, because you can double park your trailer in the field of spots.

View attachment 1007467
Ok for a camper. So you pull in get out, block the trailer wheels, raise the tongue jack, disconnect the WD, raise the jack more, disconnect the ball and electrical, (level the trailer if your fridge is running). Then charge the truck. Then you do have the camper to hang out in for ~45 min. Then do the first process backwards. You are looking at a minimum 30min extra and probably closer to 45 min.

Now do that 2-3x a day sometimes….

The CT was never going to use mega chargers, have you seen how large that semi pack is? the vehicle sells for 250k base.

The moment the CT became a 5 passenger, no frunk vehicle, you should have realized that the customer base was soccer practice and weekend project runs to Home Depot/boat to the local lake. 500mi was on the prototype announcement, that truck doesn’t exist in anyway but name. That truck also had a driver display/cluster, why no uproar?

It’ll be something else next update or announcement. Robo taxi and 5DU will upset someone. Despite 5DU being absolutely amazing.

How much would you be willing to pay for 200kWh? the weight would go up and the range would go down. /cough/ hummer ev.

Until you get to the semi truck, you’re not getting the range you hope to have. Now think vehicle weight to range there. At the end of the day it seems as though expectations weren’t managed by yourself, being that data with EVs and towing have been around. 1:1 being highly understood.
Silverado WT has >200 kWh, >450 miles for $79k.

Ok for a camper. So you pull in get out, block the trailer wheels, raise the tongue jack, disconnect the WD, raise the jack more, disconnect the ball and electrical, (level the trailer if your fridge is running). Then charge the truck. Then you do have the camper to hang out in for ~45 min. Then do the first process backwards. You are looking at a minimum 30min extra and probably closer to 45 min.

Now do that 2-3x a day sometimes….
Right. A BEV truck probably isn't the right solution for you.

Like I said before, I wanted something to tow my boat. I got rid of my F150 and now use rental credits to tow when I need it, but I'll have to do the same. The CT will be a larger Model Y that I can make dump runs in (sucks to put that stuff in my MY). It's not going to solve my boat towing problem for me and it's fine.

Silverado WT has >200 kWh, >450 miles for $79k.

The Silverado 4WT series will start at 79k and have up to 450 miles of range. This is for fleet customers.

They will eventually release a 50k version, but the original customer version will have up to 400 miles of range for $106,985.

The Silverado info is all over the place. I trust them less than I trust Tesla.

Last edited:
The Silverado 4WT series will start at 79k and have up to 450 miles of range. This is for fleet customers.

They will eventually release a 50k version, but the original customer version will have up to 400 miles of range for $106,985.

The Silverado info is all over the place. I trust them less than I trust Tesla.
No, it is starting at $79k for consumers. Fleet prices are more like ~$70-75k depending on volume (at least 50 units). I have a business order (for 2 trucks) and have received my packet and pricing. I can buy 2 trucks for $79,199.00 each including delivery and fees.

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    819.4 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: HitchHiker71
No, it is starting at $79k for consumers. Fleet prices are more like ~$70-75k depending on volume (at least 50 units). I have a business order (for 2 trucks) and have received my packet and pricing. I can buy 2 trucks for $79,199.00 each including delivery and fees.
Right...Fleet.

Fleet customers will be the first to get their hands on the Silverado EV 4WT, though they won't be cheap. Chevy says the starting price is $79,800. Eventually, however, the company will offer Silverado EVs for as low as $50,000. But, the first Silverado EV to reach individual consumers is the $106,985 RST First Edition. Chevy confirmed that truck will have a 400-mile range, and one assumes the lower figure is result of the RST's much greater output of 754 hp and 785 lb-ft of torque.

Chevy says consumer version with will have 400 miles of range for 106k for the First Edition.

The consumer version has been pushed to 2025 or later.

A lot can happen in 2 years. They are more battery constrained than Tesla.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Right...Fleet.

Fleet customers will be the first to get their hands on the Silverado EV 4WT, though they won't be cheap. Chevy says the starting price is $79,800. Eventually, however, the company will offer Silverado EVs for as low as $50,000. But, the first Silverado EV to reach individual consumers is the $106,985 RST First Edition. Chevy confirmed that truck will have a 400-mile range, and one assumes the lower figure is result of the RST's much greater output of 754 hp and 785 lb-ft of torque.

Chevy says consumer version with will have 400 miles of range for 106k for the First Edition.

The consumer version has been pushed to 2025 or later.

A lot can happen in 2 years. They are more battery constrained than Tesla.
That isn’t what my reservation packet says.