Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is causing the limited tow capability of the new Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok for a camper. So you pull in get out, block the trailer wheels, raise the tongue jack, disconnect the WD, raise the jack more, disconnect the ball and electrical, (level the trailer if your fridge is running). Then charge the truck. Then you do have the camper to hang out in for ~45 min. Then do the first process backwards. You are looking at a minimum 30min extra and probably closer to 45 min.

Now do that 2-3x a day sometimes….

Yep, definite mind shift from doing Michigan to Florida in under 24 hours of driving (one sleep cycle).
I akso [also] need to reset my mind to a relaxed journey vs cannonballing to destination.

Of course, stops can be less often with the range extender and lower travel speeds. I'll be interested to see if the air suspension can assist with trailer mating cycles. There is the also added benefit of taking the truck to any local less maneuverable spots.
Once at the destination in the wilderness, plug the trailer into Cybertruck and have all your amenities without a generator running.

@gtgarner @buckets0fun

You guys aren't worried about Tesla losing people like me? I was patient number 0. If I wasn't still in college when the first roadster came out, I would have owned one of those. I saved and planned and started a business to get my first Model S. Then came the years of lies and overpromises, the hype, the service center experiences (dozens of them), the terrible sales experience in 2020, the 11 month wait for a windshield, the driver's seat that couldn't be adjusted, the failed MCU that couldn't be replaced because of software updates, the lost business lease turn in (still dealing with that one).

I actually had the money set aside to buy a new Model S this year and a Cybertruck next year. After the lease turn in nightmare, I opted to buy a used Model S and cancelled my order of a new one (I ate the $250 deposit); with a wait and see attitude towards the Cybertruck. Imagine my disappointment when it didn't end up being a truck...
Well… since you asked…

No. I couldn’t care less. You’re citing issues during a global pandemic, as if every other company didn’t have them. Ford did, they cited them as to why they couldn’t sell us a lightning or how they couldn’t service our Raptor correctly.

Plenty of us are actual day one customers, from roadsters to walking in without a reservation @ Y launch and walking out with 3. We are also those that understand prototypes and how they rarely(read: never) 100% translate into production vehicles.

Losing a customer, one who has spent nearly $200,000 on their products. More money than I have spent with any other individual company, probably more than I've spent on all my other current possessions (other than houses) combined.
Measuring contests are boring, there’s always someone with more. Oooooooooo 200?! That’s it? What’s a typical solar glass roof + powerwall install? Or 3x80k YP w/FSD @ launch. Some have spent over 200 with ( insert automotive company that tickles your fancy) in short order.

Yes, statistically speaking an automobile is the second largest purchase an adult makes.

Truthfully, it sounds like your use case is best served by an Edison motors converted truck. I know I’m considering one.

I akso need to reset my mind to a relaxed journey vs cannonballing to destination.
I get it. Done LA to DC twice in an older Model S and about another 50k miles on superchrger road trips over the years in multiple Model S and Model 3s. Just don't think 45min of charging every 90min of towing is going to work out for me. This, again, isn't to mention the added overhead of dropping and reattaching the trailer every time.

Measuring contests are boring, there’s always someone with more. Oooooooooo 200?! That’s it? What’s a typical solar glass roof + powerwall install? Or 3x80k YP w/FSD @ launch. Some have spent over 200 with ( insert automotive company that tickles your fancy) in short order.
Nothing to measure, just saying that Tesla's decision making over this vehicle is going alienate a large portion of the truck buying market. Including decade long customers. For the past four years, I've been hearing nothing but "Tesla is going to eat Ford's lunch on trucks"

Well clearly they aren't eating anyone's lunch with this "truck". It's a toy, everyone here seems to agree on that. A toy that Tesla can only make <20 a day of. A toy that's not for traditional truck buyers.

So, sorry but not sorry that I'm dispointed when I expected it to be a truck that I could use as a truck.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Well clearly they aren't eating anyone's lunch with this "truck". It's a toy, everyone here seems to agree on that. A toy that Tesla can only make <20 a day of. A toy that's not for traditional truck buyers.

So, sorry but not sorry that I'm dispointed when I expected it to be a truck that I could use as a truck.
So much to unpack here.

You’re an employee at Austin, and know the production per day? thats wild, doesn’t your nda prevent you from disclosing actual business?

I’d sooner trust the suspension/exterior paneling on the CT over the rivian. Talk about a toy. Monroe/tenneco suspension systems are fragile. And man those rivian guys beat the snot out of their vehicles.

Tesla and NACS is light years ahead of the ford/riv/any EV CCS ownership experience. Dropping your power tongue jack trailer and charging isn’t as big of an issue as you’re making it out to be. Air suspension, powered tongue jack, and rear camera have all but made this automated. Mountain, meet mole hill.

We get it, you can’t use a CT. A diesel or diesel hybrid or petrol powered truck is perfect for your need to haul for 40days non stop with a 75’ Brooklyn apartment behind you. Some of us only need to haul 1900mi or so at a pace faster and with less frustration than CCS.
IMG_3780.jpeg

Last edited:
So much to unpack here.

You’re an employee at Austin, and know the production per day? thats wild, doesn’t your nda prevent you from disclosing actual business?

I’d sooner trust the suspension/exterior paneling on the CT over the rivian. Talk about a toy. Monroe/tenneco suspension systems are fragile. And man those rivian guys beat the snot out of their vehicles.

Tesla and NACS is light years ahead of the ford/riv/any EV CCS ownership experience. Dropping your power tongue jack trailer and charging isn’t as big of an issue as you’re making it out to be. Air suspension, powered tongue jack, and rear camera have all but made this automated. Mountain, meet mole hill.

We get it, you can’t use a CT. A diesel or diesel hybrid or petrol powered truck is perfect for your need to haul for 40days non stop with a 75’ Brooklyn apartment behind you. Some of us only need to haul 1900mi or so at a pace faster and with less frustration than CCS.View attachment 1007655
That's a bad ass picture.

So much to unpack here.

Nah. Those are Tesla's numbers. "Full scale production of 250,000/yr is still 12-18 months away". Before even correcting for the Elon Distortion field. Even if, let's say I'm wrong (which I'm not). They have also said they can only make battery packs for ~60-70 per day right now. But I'm not wrong, that's why there haven't been housands or even hundreds of new deliveries in the past 6 weeks. That's why there are no photos of hundreds fo CTs sitting in a lot somewhere. They are still working out the springing issue with stamping 304 SS, they only have one press casting the front and back. A press they only have 3 of in Texas, so they would have to cannibalize Model Ys if they wanted to use a second one.
Agreed. I was never even considering a Rivian.
Oh absolutely agree that Supercharging is light years ahead of everyone else for all Teslas excpet the Cybertruck. I mean, I guess SC is better than Electrify America for Cybertrucks but the experience, today, is pretty bad no matter what. That is until Tesla puts out 800v SCs with space for towing.
We get it, you can’t use a CT. A diesel or diesel hybrid or petrol powered truck is perfect for your need to haul for 40days non stop with a 75’ Brooklyn apartment behind you. Some of us only need to haul 1900mi or so at a pace faster and with less frustration than CCS.
Diesel is the current plan. Gonna go looking in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
They are still working out the springing issue with stamping 304 SS,
What issue? If it springs too much they tweak the robot...

they only have one press casting the front and back. A press they only have 3 of in Texas, so they would have to cannibalize Model Ys if they wanted to use a second one.
Rear uses the 9000 ton press of which they have two.
Front uses the 6500 (6000?) ton press of which they have many, one of which it dedicated to Cybertruck.

nah. It's that overbending 30x steel dramatically reduces the tool life, that and predicting the plastic defmoration point is way harder. Not saying they won't work this out, I believe they will. But it's just aother factor that going to lead to "production hell" V2.0
Did you watch the Munro walk though? The steel doesn't even touch the tool.
If they are overbending then they adjust the robot the other way. Not to mention mounting load cell on the effector to measure yield and springback in realtime.

The production hell was creating the line and manufacturing processes, that's behind them.

They are still working out the springing issue with stamping 304 SS,
Again, where are you getting your "information"? They said that the automated press bends the part, takes a measurement, and if it isn't bent enough bends it a little more. And that it auto-adjusts for the batch of material... Sounds to me like they already solved the issue.

Did you watch the Munro walk though? The steel doesn't even touch the tool.
If they are overbending then they adjust the robot the other way. Not to mention mounting load cell on the effector to measure yield and springback in realtime.
Being honest, I haven't had as much time as I would like to research the manufacturing process. I have not watched Munro's walkthrough. That actually sounds super cool. I'll check that out
The production hell was creating the line and manufacturing processes, that's behind them.
Until I see with my own eyes the production line banging these things out and a parking lot full of trucks, I don't believe that Tesla has achieved any sort of scale with regards to the Cybertruck. That bridge has been firmly burned and left in the dust.

I know I said <20 a day. That's just the rumor I heard from some firends in Austin (specifically 12 a day) but I know other rumors have 60 a day. We know Tesla won't relate with the press, so unless they Tweet about it, it's just speculation.

Being honest, I haven't had as much time as I would like to research the manufacturing process. I have not watched Munro's walkthrough. That actually sounds super cool. I'll check that out

Until I see with my own eyes the production line banging these things out and a parking lot full of trucks, I don't believe that Tesla has achieved any sort of scale with regards to the Cybertruck. That bridge has been firmly burned and left in the dust.

I know I said <20 a day. That's just the rumor I heard from some firends in Austin (specifically 12 a day) but I know other rumors have 60 a day. We know Tesla won't relate with the press, so unless they Tweet about it, it's just speculation.
Get data

Reactions: buckets0fun