Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is the drag coefficient on Rivian?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian to me is probably the only other electric car startup I actually see producing a vehicle. Those other ones like Nikola and Fisker I don't ever see producing anything. I hope they succeed, the world needs it and I wouldn't mind companies like Tesla and Rivian starting a new age of car companies. Some of these old dogs are in trouble. By 2021 though Tesla will probably be pumping out close to a million vehicles a year and I would have to imagine with the gigafactories going up they would have the cheapest cost of batteries too.

I don't get how one buys it for off-road and can use an autopilot technology to drive it, on the highway yes but off road? No lane markings to follow, how does one set it and gage operating speed not knowing what might lie ahead in the way of ruts and potholes, etc. Even Tesla's autopilot isn't suppose to be used yet in cross traffic/non-highway situations.

Got to get to the trail before you go off-road. Plus most of their cars are going to be off-roaded as much as range rovers and ford raptors are off-roaded.

If you watch that interview I posted they also plan to implement Jurassic Park style automated tours of national parks with narration. Eventually car would drop you off at a trail head and come pick you up on the other side. They will hype up those “adventure” themed uses but at the end of the day this will be level 3 highway driving.

I look at the Rivian PU as an original Tesla Roadster. It's the first effort from an untested company that does not yet know what they don't know. Drag is actually a pretty good point to raise, I mean after ten years in this business Tesla is obsessive about drag --- maybe they think it is important.

Experience matters in technology companies and I expect for cars that goes tenfold. Throwing tons of money -- and people -- does not always help either, unless your only goal is losing that money. The establishment -- Audi, VW, Porsche -- will have some growing pains, but the new companies like Rivian are going to have a much harder time IMO. All that said, I love the Bollinger truck myself, and it is about as high drag as possible.

The things is roadster was in early 2000s, this car is gonna go into production in prob late 2020. A 10 year old model S still looks fantastic. This car is just a rectangle on a giant battery, well anyone could do that and will do that in a few years. I mean look at how beautiful is Tesla truck, I'm no truck driver and had no interest but I would drive one. I remember in the keynote Musk mentioned how low was the drag coefficient on par with very expensive cars (this is crazy for a freaking truck). Rivian is a big hype (Tesla killer lol)

I don't think Rivian has announced the drag coefficient on the R1T yet, but remembered hearing something about it maybe during their reveal. Found this comment for what it's worth in an article from Motor Trend's 11/26/18 article on the vehicle ("2020 Rivian R1T EV First Look: The Electrick Pickup Truck")

"This tonneau, a gentle spoiler on the tailgate, front-wheel air curtains, and the aforementioned ballistic full belly pan with rear diffuser deliver what Rivian claims will be a class-leading pickup truck drag coefficient."

At this point seems like they are just roughly comparing it to other trucks at the moment. Will be interesting to see how it ultimately compares on that point against Tesla's pickup when it comes out.

Even Tesla Truck is far nicer than Rivian's pick up truck. Tesla right now is to iPhone as other car companies are to android phones. Every company is scrambling to announce an electric car, basically the same shitty design on a battery.