Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is the drag coefficient on Rivian?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The design of the Rivian SUV and pickup truck seems odd with a high drag coefficient.. I don't get why people are excited about this car. Tesla is years ahead in design and software

Does it really matter if they still get 400 miles of range? Yes it will be more expensive to “fuel” (I think it’s a 180 kw pack?) but still not as expensive as an ICE or diesel truck. And yes...people are excited because it’s finally an EV truck.

They’ve announced $60,000 - $100,000. Not out of line with Tesla prices.
Those prices will only cover a 180 kWh battery. And remember that they are hoping to sell to the 'luxury truck' market so they cannot skimp on the truck itself.

Nah. They are pulling an Elon here. They will either find ways to pump up the final price or they will wait until battery prices drop enough to meet their stated price. $50 a kWh for cells, anyone ?

I was very pleasantly surprised by pricing. Not bad at all for that product segment.

Will be interesting to see state of standardized charging network when these roll out end of 2020. I could definitely see the R1S replacing my performance 3 and Wrangler rubicon. 3 second 0-60 off road capable big SUV... mighty tempting if reliable charging network is in place to allow for trips to national parks and other remote destinations.

Those prices will only cover a 180 kWh battery. And remember that they are hoping to sell to the 'luxury truck' market so they cannot skimp on the truck itself.

Nah. They are pulling an Elon here. They will either find ways to pump up the final price or they will wait until battery prices drop enough to meet their stated price. $50 a kWh for cells, anyone ?

Only 180? I think that’s the largest pack isn’t it?

I’m guessing the truck will be $68,000 for the 105kwh, $80,000 for the 135kwh, and $100,000 for the 180kwh

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Kinda like the Jaguar I-PACE right? Designed a beautiful looking car, got people hyped. Then once people saw how inefficient the car is, they start having doubts especially given its high price.

With that said, I'm rooting for Rivian. Even Elon has repeatedly stated the mission of Tesla is to accelerate the advent of clean & sustainable transportation. Anything to replace the terrible, dirty, and disgusting gasoline trucks is a good thing. Yes Tesla is ahead of the game, I have no doubt Tesla's trucks will be better in terms of range, power, efficiency, and tech. But this Rivian reveal has lit a fire under automakers that have been clinging to internal combustion engines.

Tesla taking bites out of their pie in the sedan and suv segment is one thing. But once Rivian starts taking bites out of their pie in the trucks segment, they're going to start hurting It's a good thing.

Kinda like the Jaguar I-PACE right? Designed a beautiful looking car, got people hyped. Then once people saw how inefficient the car is, they start having doubts especially given its high price.

With that said, I'm rooting for Rivian. Even Elon has repeatedly stated the mission of Tesla is to accelerate the advent of clean & sustainable transportation. Anything to replace the terrible, dirty, and disgusting gasoline trucks is a good thing. Yes Tesla is ahead of the game, I have no doubt Tesla's trucks will be better in terms of range, power, efficiency, and tech. But this Rivian reveal has lit a fire under automakers that have been clinging to internal combustion engines.

Tesla taking bites out of their pie in the sedan and suv segment is one thing. But once Rivian starts taking bites out of their pie in the trucks segment, they're going to start hurting It's a good thing.

I find their design hideous (maybe their pick up truck looks better than what's out there) but their SUV is hideous. There is nothing unique about this car. It's just a giant battery on a rectangular design. The design is not aerodynamic. They don't have autopilot or anything that would set them apart. Just look at Tesla truck, that thing is just beautiful. The drag coefficient is lower than a sedan.

Amazon should have invested in Tesla and get those Tesla trucks out quicker (which they actually need). But Jeff Bezos has too much competition with Musk.

I find their design hideous (maybe their pick up truck looks better than what's out there) but their SUV is hideous. There is nothing unique about this car. It's just a giant battery on a rectangular design. The design is not aerodynamic. They don't have autopilot or anything that would set them apart. Just look at Tesla truck, that thing is just beautiful. The drag coefficient is lower than a sedan.

Amazon should have invested in Tesla and get those Tesla trucks out quicker (which they actually need). But Jeff Bezos has too much competition with Musk.

Lol what? The Tesla truck is hideous if what we’ve seen is real. I agree that the Rivian SUV is ugly as well though. Also, they DO have radar autonomous driving.

Or are you talking about the Tesla semi? That looks slick but is not something an average consumer is going to be buying.

Reactions: cizUK and ricohman