Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you usually do when your Tesla is charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More often than not it's just a pit stop--15 minutes or less. Otherwise it's eating. I have one SC where I have a long stop because there's 200 miles to the destination and I want more than just the 200 miles--usually I nap then.

Reactions: guipingfang
Except for long distance travel using the SC network, all our other charging is done at home. Usually it is set for 50%, 80% for the weekends or when we have more local driving planned for the day. Every time we get back home the Tesla is plugged into our 30a EVSE we got 4 years ago when we got our Leaf. It charges up right away and is ready for the next drive.

We gave up public charging years ago with the Leaf when I realized what the "FREE" electricity we got from the DCFC cost us in time and miles going there, charging, then driving back home. We could spend an hour and get what would only cost of $1 at home. Now in the Tesla and Supercharger, we still only get about $3 of electricity for each hour, less if there is a waiting line like there is in the urban California Superchargers. I do not know for sure, but I suspect that many charging there are local and go to the SC to get free fuel, not thinking of the value of their time. For me, my time, even leisure time, is more valuable than $3 per hour. If you are sitting at the Supercharger just waiting for more electrons you are not properly pre-planning your trips, or you are local and could just charge at home. The exception would be those in appartments or condos that are not able to install an electrical outlet where they park. For these folks they have to just accept that they will waste time at the SC and find something productive to do while there.

Now while on trips, and we do lots of those, the Supercharger Network is very valuable. It is the reason that Tesla does not have any competition in the EV market. Whether an EV has 85 miles range or 249 miles range, they can not be recharged quickly enough to make it practical for long trips like the Tesla is. Plus, anyone using a public DCFC network is paying more for the electricity than they would for GAS and then add all the extra hours the trip takes.

With the Tesla we are able to make these long trips in almost the same amount of time as with a ICE car. Even if the car could go for 8 hours without stopping, we always stop every 1 to 2 hours for potty break and walking around to get the blood flowing in our legs and feet. With the Tesla we do the same, only we stop at a SC, find a restroom, walk around, and get a snack if needed. After 10 to 15 minutes we are ready to go again. If we stay longer it is not to get more electricity, it is just letting the car charge more while we are doing something else. Sometime it is talking to ICE drivers and answering questions about driving an Electric Vehicle.

AS A SIDE NOTE: Does anyone know if Tesla has accumulated the SC data to find out what percentage of charging is from local owners as compared to owners on out of area trips? I would be interested to know that statistic for the "overbusy" California Superchargers. The only wait I have had while on a trip was at the Rancho Cucamonga, CA Supercharger.

AS A SIDE NOTE: Does anyone know if Tesla has accumulated the SC data to find out what percentage of charging is from local owners as compared to owners on out of area trips? I would be interested to know that statistic for the "overbusy" California Superchargers. The only wait I have had while on a trip was at the Rancho Cucamonga, CA Supercharger.
What they can get is the residence of the owner vs. distance from the SC they are using. The two flies in the ointment are:
1. In densely populated areas, some Tesla owners don't have home charging (apartment, condo, and some HOA residents). Although technical local charging, it's not because they are trying to be cheap.
2. Some people have trips that leave them just short of getting home, in which case they use an SC to make it the rest of the way.

At one time they showed the number of cars and charging statistics at the top ten or twenty SCs on a dashboard in a few Service Centre locations. I don't know if that's still the case.

Clean the windows, pull the floor mats and clean them out (I need a small vacuum for the interior under those...hmm), catch up on E-Mails, catch up on electrek.co, Teslarati.com, cnn, foxnews, check supercharge.info for updates on somewhat local superchargers coming and those threads, post my pics with updated construction status, use the bathroom, get a drink/some food if required...By the time I've done all that I'm at 90-100%.

Reactions: mrElbe and GSP
I haven't used that. I'm not sure if the Tesla app is available in China but in the US it will send you a notification when your car is ready to continue on your trip.
Yeah,I think this charging card is the most importantly good for me the the white part can let me write down the phone number.It can help us to move the charging state when sb needs it more than me.

My keyboard doesn't do mandarin. Sorry. :rolleyes: Hey, I was just being silly. I figured the emoticons conveyed that. And do they have superchargers in China? Cool! Go, Tesla!

Seriously you've never navigated around the world on supercharge.info? It looks like there are just as many, maybe more superchargers outside North America. Europe is packed with them.

Except for long distance travel using the SC network, all our other charging is done at home. Usually it is set for 50%, 80% for the weekends or when we have more local driving planned for the day. Every time we get back home the Tesla is plugged into our 30a EVSE we got 4 years ago when we got our Leaf. It charges up right away and is ready for the next drive.

We gave up public charging years ago with the Leaf when I realized what the "FREE" electricity we got from the DCFC cost us in time and miles going there, charging, then driving back home. We could spend an hour and get what would only cost of $1 at home. Now in the Tesla and Supercharger, we still only get about $3 of electricity for each hour, less if there is a waiting line like there is in the urban California Superchargers. I do not know for sure, but I suspect that many charging there are local and go to the SC to get free fuel, not thinking of the value of their time. For me, my time, even leisure time, is more valuable than $3 per hour. If you are sitting at the Supercharger just waiting for more electrons you are not properly pre-planning your trips, or you are local and could just charge at home. The exception would be those in appartments or condos that are not able to install an electrical outlet where they park. For these folks they have to just accept that they will waste time at the SC and find something productive to do while there.

Now while on trips, and we do lots of those, the Supercharger Network is very valuable. It is the reason that Tesla does not have any competition in the EV market. Whether an EV has 85 miles range or 249 miles range, they can not be recharged quickly enough to make it practical for long trips like the Tesla is. Plus, anyone using a public DCFC network is paying more for the electricity than they would for GAS and then add all the extra hours the trip takes.

With the Tesla we are able to make these long trips in almost the same amount of time as with a ICE car. Even if the car could go for 8 hours without stopping, we always stop every 1 to 2 hours for potty break and walking around to get the blood flowing in our legs and feet. With the Tesla we do the same, only we stop at a SC, find a restroom, walk around, and get a snack if needed. After 10 to 15 minutes we are ready to go again. If we stay longer it is not to get more electricity, it is just letting the car charge more while we are doing something else. Sometime it is talking to ICE drivers and answering questions about driving an Electric Vehicle.

As strange as it might sound, I only charge at the SuC.

When I bought my Model S, I didn't have a plug in the garage of the building I live. The owner refuses to let me install one and so, for that reason, I have to drive 2 minutes to the SuC and do my runs twice a week from there.

Will have to do this for the next 12 months when I finally move to a building where the plug will be installed.
Building regulations are not EV friendly yet. :(

Reactions: mrElbe and BerTX
Seriously you've never navigated around the world on supercharge.info?

Nope. The supercharger network is an important thing, and shows Tesla's commitment to electric transportation. But I only ever charge at home, because my one road trip per year is on secondary roads where there probably won't be superchargers for quite some time. So I have no reason to search them out.

On our last trip, I had me, my wife, and my 8 yr old. We got out, walked around, went to the bathroom, ate once or twice, and in the emptier parking lots we through a ball back and forth.

On my work trips, I'm usually tired when I stop at the supercharger, so I take a nap. The charging is usually done before I am, so I always set an alarm to wake me up.

Reactions: guipingfang