Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does a referral code do for the buyer and the person providing the referral code?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would someone use a complete stranger’s code? This is a forum of people who either own Teslas or are at least enthusiasts. It would be very rare for someone to not already know someone that has a code that they would like to help out.

Good point!! Which is why I was asking if anyone actually had success.

Hopefully I end up knowing someone who also wants to buy a Tesla someday.

Good point!! Which is why I was asking if anyone actually had success.

Hopefully I end up knowing someone who also wants to buy a Tesla someday.

My experience has been that once you own one people who see you driving it will ask questions about it. If you take the time to educate them on the benefits of a Tesla EV eventually someone will end up buying one because of the time you took to show them why it’s a great car. Looking for referrals on an Internet forum is the wrong place to be looking.

Reactions: JasonR67
My experience has been that once you own one people who see you driving it will ask questions about it. If you take the time to educate them on the benefits of a Tesla EV eventually someone will end up buying one because of the time you took to show them why it’s a great car. Looking for referrals on an Internet forum is the wrong place to be looking.

No doubt. I ordered my Model 3 after my buddy let me drive his... Unfortunately that was in between the referral programs!! Haha. So he had an honest, true referral and he won't get anything for it when I get my car next month.

No doubt. I ordered my Model 3 after my buddy let me drive his... Unfortunately that was in between the referral programs!! Haha. So he had an honest, true referral and he won't get anything for it when I get my car next month.

You could always cancel and reorder. I don’t think it will really affect your delivery schedule. Once they begin shipping in volume to the US they should have plenty of cars to fill orders. You could also try to negotiate to get the referral code added after the fact. The service center was able to do that for me on a friend’s order. It’s just a matter of finding the right person...which is like looking for a needle in a haystack at Tesla unfortunately.