Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does the Parcel Shelf look like?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

37-tesla-model-s-beta-fd.jpg

:)

The white performance (Beta #53) had a parcel shelf in the back which was ill fitting but demonstrated how the concept works. Advisors indicated that it is a work in progress. but the shelf rails appeared to be pretty well designed. It had three segments which allows it to fold and be placed elsewhere if you needed to carry bulkier objects. It was covered in a headliner type fabric, not alcantara though. Construction was firm, but I wouldn't place anything of weight on it. Keep in mind that it was a prototype and was larger than the rails it was designed to attach to.

We played with this too. I noted when folded in the up position the three segment shelf was blocking the door hatch. High probality of closing the hatch and crushing the panels. As was stated though, this is a work in progress.

Nothing new but, a shot of the parcel shelf in bright sun at the Palo Alto event today; didn't get a shot of it with the hatch closed but, it looked very good and covered the storage area very effectively. Fellow forum member Nick (thanks for the ride again!) noted that the parcel shelf didn't have any attached "strings" to lift it up when the hatch is opened (as is the case in some hatchbacks).

IMG_2774.JPG

Not sure if this has been said. The "shelf" idea is a disaster. Why not simply offer a retractable cloth cover? Much more elegant (IMO) than a slab of plastic/cardboard. A retractable solution would coil up and not waste any space when privacy isn't a concern. Tesla are you listening?

This shelf idea reminds me of a Mitsubishi Eclipse I once had in college. When I hauled stuff the shelf was a monstrosity to deal with and collected dust in the garage...

Not sure if this has been said. The "shelf" idea is a disaster. Why not simply offer a retractable cloth cover? Much more elegant (IMO) than a slab of plastic/cardboard. A retractable solution would coil up and not waste any space when privacy isn't a concern. Tesla are you listening?

This shelf idea reminds me of a Mitsubishi Eclipse I once had in college. When I hauled stuff the shelf was a monstrosity to deal with and collected dust in the garage...

I agree. My Audi A4 Avant has a retractable cover that is made with some sort of plastic. It is sturdy enough to support a tissue box or stuffed animal like another poster mentioned but it retracts fully by coiling up. I can also remove the entire housing with the shelf coiled upif I need the 2-3 more inches or if I fold flat the rear seats and need an open space. I am too lazy to take photos of mine but here is a photo I found on the web.

2012-Audi-A4-Avant-Wagon-Trunk.jpg

2012-Audi-A4-Avant-Wagon-Trunk-Open.jpg

ok, I concede. "Disaster" is too strong a word. Clumsy or inelegant (lacking refinement) come to mind...

I had my test drive yesterday in Palo Alto. Overall i think Tesla has done a fantastic job with the driving "feel" of the car. The performance and chassis refinement were inspiring (awesome). They just need to fix a few of the fiddly details.

I will probably never use this shelf. One of the (many) advantages of the Model S is the frunk, which gives me the ability to hide anything valuable I'm transporting in the car. This is different than other crossovers or SUVs where there is no place to "hide" things.

BTW, I'm typing this on an iPad and it auto-corrected "frunk" to "drunk". Should we be worried?! :)

I also agree, though I wouldn't call the current option a "disaster". I'll likely leave it in place so I have a real, hidden, trunk.
Same here. I would prefer a roll-up cover like my Prius has, though. Roll it up if you need a bit more height, and if you need to put in something really big as when you fold the seats, just lift it out and drop it in the rear footwell, etc. I bet we'll see such an option in a future model year.