Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What EV would you drive til Gen 3 is released?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2011 Nissan Leaf SL in addition to our 2013 Model S (delivered 2 months ago). The Leaf is on a 39 month lease which will be up next year. My wife loves our Leaf and I did too until I got my Model S. I only drive the Leaf to my health club 3 times a week (crazy parking lot and don't want to take chances with my baby). At this point I expect we will lease another Leaf unless business keeps going the way it is in which case I may buy another Model S for my wife. This is the best car I have ever owned. No going back to any car that uses gasoline. I think the current Leaf price point (less than it was when we got ours) is the best buy for the range. I don't get how BMW or others planning EV's with Leaf range think EV consumers will pay higher prices just for their name. We have the fast charge option on the Leaf and Nissan is making a smart move by installing ChaDeMo chargers at their dealerships.

Last edited:
I read it that way first too, I think me means, he'll be getting a car in a few months to last until GenIII is ready.

Yeah, that's it. A Gen3 will be a good second car for the family (primary will be the X), but I need something to drive in until the Gen3 is released. As has been noted, one 3 year lease won't be long enough, so it's either 2 leases, or a purchase and sale.

I'm in California, so I have the compliance cars to consider, although availability has been challenging for nearly all of them.

Yeah, that's it. A Gen3 will be a good second car for the family (primary will be the X), but I need something to drive in until the Gen3 is released. As has been noted, one 3 year lease won't be long enough, so it's either 2 leases, or a purchase and sale.

I'm in California, so I have the compliance cars to consider, although availability has been challenging for nearly all of them.

In California, I would have gone for the RAV4 EV. :)

Won't be theoretical for me, as next March they pry the ActiveE from me, so I'll have to make that decision for real. Right now it seems to be the BMW i3 leading the pack, then the Honda Fit (assuming they are actually available here) because I always liked Acura/Honda, followed by the LEAF. While I like the Volt a lot, I've a 60 mile round trip commute, with no guaranteed charging at work, so that means burning fuel and I'd rather not do that. If the RAV-4 was available over here, that'd be in the running as well. I'm not gonna "import" one from CA however.

I'm hoping that as an ActiveE "electronaut" I'll be able to get a nice lease on the i3, and that BMW extends the ActiveE lease until the i3's are here in the states. When that lease is up (2 or 3 years) it'll either be GenIII for me(!) or Model X for the wife and I get her Model S.

Either way, not going back to ICE if I can help it.

Went for a test drive in the leaf and i dont see what all the hype is about it, compared to the volt the volt is more enjoyable to drive (and a lot better looking) its kind of hard to feel comfortable while driving in a odd looking car. :redface:

but being an electric vehicle i gotta respect it