Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What exactly do you buy when you pay for AP2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

whitex

Sep 30, 2015
Seattle area, WA
Is there any kind of time-frame guarantee to get to the level of functionality advertised? Does the bumper-to-bumber warranty or at least drivetrain plus all the sensors, screen and computer extent at least until a year after the car actually does what you pay for (as per description in the design studio)? Are there any guarantees that if additional sensors are needed, those will be retrofitted free of charge within some reasonable time frame. After how many years can you ask for your money back if the car doesn't do as advertised? Or is there fine print somewhere that says says something a bout you buying "future looking statements" with no guarantees whether they will ever come true? I'm just curious as I'm considering a second Tesla.

The print is very fine. ON the order page for EAP it says "Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval."

And for FSDC it says: "Please note that Self-Driving functionality is dependent upon extensive software validation and regulatory approval, which may vary widely by jurisdiction. It is not possible to know exactly when each element of the functionality described above will be available, as this is highly dependent on local regulatory approval."

So no guarantees. I do think that they priced it high enough that the can retro-fit some things if necessary in the future when the parts are even cheaper. (Like maybe a rear facing radar unit.)

Is there any kind of time-frame guarantee to get to the level of functionality advertised?

Nope, no guarantees. You want guarantees with no drama my friend? Go buy a Camry, get a nice cushy government job stamping documents somewhere, eat your vegetables, get 8 hours of sleep every night and always stay away from really beautiful women.

You want the most advanced, bleeding edge rocketship on planet earth? Pony up your $100K baby - I know I'm in line. Then go do more of whatever alpha work/investing it is you do to pay for your spacecraft and wait with glee for the mothership to hit the on button.

Future is now - here we go...

Well, as soon as they release the ventilated seats in non-P cars I'm in line. :)

Reactions: bradjc