Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you "pay" for the HW4.0 suite?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d wait to see if they release any info on March 1st. If it’s a new computer, HD radar, new higher resolution cameras and updated placement I would wait for it if it will come out in the coming months. I’d easily give up half the tax credit and the current price increases for that.

If they announce it they'll tank orders until it's in production. Hopefully they'll do like some have been speculating and announce it concurrent with cutting it into production.

it maybe available soon based on this statement. again we can't be sure but it does give hope that cars built after march 1st would include hw4. then again, the cost should also include losing the $3750 credit since everyone is expecting treasury to release the notice in march at which point it will trigger the applicability of those requirements.

at $2250 yeah it would probably worth it but at $6,000+ after possible price hikes, now its a different ball game. my edd is 3/3 - 3/31 so i'm gonna wait and see what happens.
My EDD is 3/12 - 3/31. I'm hoping that March production MYs include HW4 for the additional safety features. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: AJ.. and WyoDude
If you intend to buy FSD now or in the future, you will want HW4. Many of us believe Tesla will never pull it off on HW3, and end up having to refund a lot of money as they have said an upgrade from HW3 to HW4 is not going to be available. Now, I'm not sure if and when they will pull it off on HW4 but it's a lot more likely they can do that, than make it work on HW3. Of course they say it will work on HW3 just be a bit better on HW4 but they don't actually know. They also said it would work on HW2.5.

If you are not concerned about FSD, you will save that $2K with HW3. However, again, if they actually pull off FSD, then the resale value of HW4 should greatly exceed that of HW3. If they don't pull it off - still a distinct risk -- you will do better with HW3. It's also possible HW4 cars can be upgraded to HW5 -- HW3 cars almost certainly won't.

So it looks like the HW4.0 suite may be "imminent" (at least on some models). That suite purportedly includes the new computer, new/additional cameras, and HD radar. I have a MYP on order AND it is at the 01/13/2023 price. Since that time, the price has gone up by $2K. Even with this reduced price, I am considering canceling my order and waiting for HW4.0. Yes, I know "Tesla is always changing" however, it is one thing to buy when you have no idea what is coming next vs. buying on the (potential) eve of a "known" material change. If it was JUST a faster computer, I don't think it would be compelling enough to consider waiting, but the additional cameras AND radar (especially in the face of the loss of the USS sensors on the latest cars...grrr) may be worth waiting for.

Waiting, at least for me, minimally costs me $2K (plus my $250 deposit so actually $2250). I feel like it may be worth $2250, and if I keep the car 6 years (as I did my Model S) it averages out to $375/year...not cheap, but MAYBE worth it. For the record I paid $2K to get the COLOR I wanted as I will appreciate it EVERY TIME I LOOK AT IT...not sure HW4.0 has the same impact...but maybe every time I park it!!

Of course, I also think Tesla will raise prices...perhaps significantly after Investor Day.

That brings up the question: "How much $$$ IS the new HW4.0 suite really worth?". $0? $500? $2000? $5000???

Thoughts?

(Note: I believe the IRS will rule the full $7500 rebate will remain in effect...minimally for some number of additional months. I also believe HW4 will have MINIMAL effect on resale as, while Tesla geeks are available about every single change, the average car buyer and dealer certainly isn't).
I would pay nothing.
I'm not a potential customer for FSD, without which HW4 has no real value.

Reactions: KJD and nate704
So it looks like the HW4.0 suite may be "imminent" (at least on some models). That suite purportedly includes the new computer, new/additional cameras, and HD radar. I have a MYP on order AND it is at the 01/13/2023 price. Since that time, the price has gone up by $2K. Even with this reduced price, I am considering canceling my order and waiting for HW4.0. Yes, I know "Tesla is always changing" however, it is one thing to buy when you have no idea what is coming next vs. buying on the (potential) eve of a "known" material change. If it was JUST a faster computer, I don't think it would be compelling enough to consider waiting, but the additional cameras AND radar (especially in the face of the loss of the USS sensors on the latest cars...grrr) may be worth waiting for.

Waiting, at least for me, minimally costs me $2K (plus my $250 deposit so actually $2250). I feel like it may be worth $2250, and if I keep the car 6 years (as I did my Model S) it averages out to $375/year...not cheap, but MAYBE worth it. For the record I paid $2K to get the COLOR I wanted as I will appreciate it EVERY TIME I LOOK AT IT...not sure HW4.0 has the same impact...but maybe every time I park it!!

Of course, I also think Tesla will raise prices...perhaps significantly after Investor Day.

That brings up the question: "How much $$$ IS the new HW4.0 suite really worth?". $0? $500? $2000? $5000???

Thoughts?

(Note: I believe the IRS will rule the full $7500 rebate will remain in effect...minimally for some number of additional months. I also believe HW4 will have MINIMAL effect on resale as, while Tesla geeks are available about every single change, the average car buyer and dealer certainly isn't).
I just wonder also if the HW 4.0 stuff helps with Autopilot in general with the addition of HD radar and the additional cameras. Obviously HW 4.0 would benefit most for FSD users but I do wonder if that HD radar helps with just normal Autopilot stuff.

I just wonder also if the HW 4.0 stuff helps with Autopilot in general with the addition of HD radar and the additional cameras. Obviously HW 4.0 would benefit most for FSD users but I do wonder if that HD radar helps with just normal Autopilot stuff.
there's no info that radar gets added back to all models, or when.
Could be just MS and MX, then CT later when it goes into production.
There's exactly zero info on HW4 in the M3 MY

Reactions: 804son
there's no info that radar gets added back to all models, or when.
Could be just MS and MX, then CT later when it goes into production.
There's exactly zero info on HW4 in the M3 MY
Yes I know but if the HD radar is part of the HW4 suite then it will be included on all vehicles. Never said that there was any info on HW4 for the MY or M3. Its no secret that their FCC exclusion period is open and there are already pictures of the HD radar that is floating on twitter. If it is not part of HW4 then the HD radar should have been included in recent builds in early to mid February. The question isn't whether all models will receive the HD radar but just a matter of when.

Yes I know but if the HD radar is part of the HW4 suite then it will be included on all vehicles. Never said that there was any info on HW4 for the MY or M3. Its no secret that their FCC exclusion period is open and there are already pictures of the HD radar that is floating on twitter. If it is not part of HW4 then the HD radar should have been included in recent builds in early to mid February. The question isn't whether all models will receive the HD radar but just a matter of when.
radar will be part of HW4 but not necessarily for all vehicles.
let's allow Tesla to tell us themselves.

All the latest leaks from Killowatts and Teslascope have been about the computer and cameras too. We've seen the radar now in the FCC docs, but not gotten much else. Honestly, Tesla not provide much info on Investor Day. They can't afford to torpedo current 3/Y sales...after all, they are paying fot everything else Tesla is doing!

All the latest leaks from Killowatts and Teslascope have been about the computer and cameras too. We've seen the radar now in the FCC docs, but not gotten much else. Honestly, Tesla not provide much info on Investor Day. They can't afford to torpedo current 3/Y sales...after all, they are paying fot everything else Tesla is doing!
The wrong approach for Tesla would be to say after X date in the future, the MY will be HW4 included. If they just said as of today or like say march 2nd on investor day on Mar 1 that HW4 is in new teslas then it wouldn't torpedo sales. However if they announce like say May 1st or June 1st or something like that it would torpedo sales.