Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What exactly does the extended service agreement cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a used 2013 Model S and the owner purchased the extended 4 year service agreement.

I went to tesla today to replace a key fob cover and to schedule an appointment to check my tire pressure system which appeared on my dash saying to contact tesla service.

They said that my tpms system wouldn't be covered under the extended service plan.

Is there a difference between an extended service plan VS extended warranty? I was under the impression buying the car from the guy that it had an extended warranty.

I read a few articles regarding how little the extended service agreement covers. And im wondering.. is there an extended warranty I don't know about?

If my door handles stop retracting or the trunk liftgate stops working.. I'm assuming the service agreement doesn't cover that..

Kind of disappointed cause I bought the car pricing in the service agreement.. and now I realized I should've just bought a cpo that comes with 4 years of warranty..

...extended service plan VS extended warranty...

Tesla couldn't sell Extended Warranty in some states that require an insurance broker permit so they call it Extended Service Agreement.

"Agreement" is not as strong as "warranty" which automatically gives consumers "rights" (no agreements needed).

There are exclusions including "Tires and Wheels" but it does not mention TPMS so I guess Tesla considers it as part of Tire and Wheel exclusion.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Tesla couldn't sell Extended Warranty in some states that require an insurance broker permit so they call it Extended Service Agreement.

"Agreement" is not as strong as "warranty" which automatically gives consumers "rights" (no agreements needed).

There are exclusions including "Tires and Wheels" but it does not mention TPMS so I guess Tesla considers it as part of Tire and Wheel exclusion.

Would it still cover mechanical issues such as lift gate and door handles and leaks?

Cause based on what the Tesla rep told me, it covers very little.... and for the $4k price that it was purchased for, tire rotations and allignment and fluids aren't really worth it..

and for the $4k price that it was purchased for, tire rotations and alignment and fluids aren't really worth it..

You're confusing the Annual Service Plan, with the Extended Service Agreement.

The former does the tire rotations, fluids, and annual service/maintenance items.

The ESA is the warranty to replace defective parts.

Go to the MyTesla page for your car, and see which one (or both) do you have?

If you only have the annual maintenance plan, that's not a warranty at all. The good news is that you can still likely buy one.

Reactions: gaswalla
The Extended Service Agreement is an extension of the warranty for an additional 4 years/50K miles (except for the battery & motor which are always covered for 8 years/unlimited miles).

For our S 100D, we pre-paid for 4 years/50K miles of service - which is called a "Maintenance Plan".

On our late 2012 S P85, the ESA has covered all major problems we've encountered after the car hit 50K miles. Because there is a $200 deductible per problem, anything that would cost less than $200 would not be covered.

With our S P85, we also purchased the 8 year/100K mile Maintenance Plan (which is no longer offered), and that has covered our maintenance visit every 12.5K miles. For our S P85, I believe we've only paid for replacement tires and the $200 deductible for two problems encountered after 50K miles (failures of the front trunk latch and secondary charger).

Because of our experience with the S P85, we've already purchased the ESA for our new S 100D. The new ESA also includes towing to the nearest service center when there's a problem (which wasn't covered under the original ESA's).

.....tire rotations and allignment and fluids aren't really worth it..

May I please clarify:

Extended Service Agreement or layman term Extended Warranty does not deal with maintenance items that you mentioned above. It is only for defective items such as failed automatic presenting door handles ($1,800) , leaky 17" screen display ($4,000) , failed A/C ($4,000), charge port ($600), cabin heater ($4,500) ...

For maintenance, they offer prepaid Maintenance Plans.

Thank you for clarifying then.

This means the girl at the Tesla service center was absolutely wrong when she explained to me that my service agreement didn't cover manufacturers defects.. and " it was only for routine service like tire rotations and checking stuff going on in the car, doing fluids and filters"

So I attached what it says in my Tesla.

Can someone confirm that the coverage I have.. will cover the auto presenting door handles, and the power liftgate and the 17" screen?

Attachments

• IMG_0058.PNG
    IMG_0058.PNG
    258 KB · Views: 117
...will cover the auto presenting door handles, and the power liftgate and the 17" screen?

Correct.

Your Extended Service Agreement is not a Maintenance Plan for fluids and tire rotation.

And yes, it does cover door handles, power lift gate and 17" screens.

It is only effective after New Vehicle Warranty expires in 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first.

A Maintenance Plan on the other thand is effective annually or every 12,500 miles.

The major difference between the warranty for the first 4 years and the extended service agreement for the next 4 years is the deductible. Each incident costs $200. There is no deductible for the warranty.

With the original extended service agreements (which we have for our late 2012 S P85), Roadside Assistance was not included. Last summer we had a frunk latch failure in the middle of Kansas - and Tesla recommended we not drive the car on the highway and have it towed to the KC Service Center. We were responsible for the towing charge, which our car insurance covered. New ESA's being purchased now include Roadside Assistance and towing up to 500 miles to the nearest Service Center.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and Tam
Well, that should have been covered under the factory warranty. Do you have more than 50,000 miles? If so, the only reason I can see them denying this repair is if you have aftermarket rims mounted.

I have 62k miles. So at this point the ESA should be in effect.. but I don't want to pay the 200 deductible just for them to fix the tpms.

The only thing that concerns me is the requirement that you have to service with them routinely every 12500 miles.
I drive 25000 miles a year with my work commute.. and I don't want to shell out $900 just to keep my ESA active / valid. Seems kind of stupid they have the ability to deny you service if you don't keep up with their recommended services.

This would be the sunny side up version of the renaming. My opinion is that they renamed it this to avoid the Magnusson Moss Warranty Governance. The wording in their "Service" agreement is very exclusionary - well beyond what a warranty would normally claim. It rings very close to what it used to be like prior to the Act being put into law...they require things like service just to replace a failing part; the Act doesn't if its within the warranty period. Moreover, "service" itself is required by Tesla, which is also in conflict with the Act. The agreement smells very wrong to me for these reasons.

In my case it has covered pano roof creaking, bug in tail light, replacing noisy tail gate struts, and fixing a piece of trim that came unglued. I also get free tire rotations every 5,000-7,000 miles since I pay for the annual service. I haven't read the ESA, so don't know if these items are normally covered, but my local Tesla Service is amazing.