TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What happened to the Ionizer?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by David29, Nov 19, 2018.

1. David29

David29 Supporting Member

Before version 9, there was a setting to turn the Ionizer on or off. the text in the user manual said, "Ionizer: If on, the air ionizer freshens the air in the cabin."

I cannot find such a control in the settings screen under version 9. I did a search through the latest manual and found no entry for the word "Ionizer."

So, what do you think? Was the setting preserved? is the ionizer now on or off according to how it was set before? or is it perhaps disabled?

Not a big thing, but curious. And not altogether surprising, given the mess that version 9 seems to be in other areas.

(PS: I would have posted this in a version 9 thread, but i did not find a sticky thread for it on the Tesla page. Sorry if I missed it.)

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I swear I’d about memorized the old manual when I first dived into things Tesla and I’ve never heard of any ‘ionizer’. I had to look at what country you were from in case this was a foreign thing :D and I’ve got nothing. I can’t even think what this could be except BWD mode...

Anyone?!

3. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

I remember the air ionizer too. It’s in 2014 to 2016 pre-refresh Model S. The setting disappeared in V9 and possibly at some point in V8. I’m completely speculating but it may be related to CARB rules about air ionizers in general. Ozone generating ionizers are banned in California now so maybe Tesla disabled it.

Hazardous Ozone-Generating "Air Purifiers"

4. boaterva

Gotcha, older models, that makes more sense. Thought I was missing something interesting! :D

5. StaticDischarge

StaticDischarge Utterly Unknown....

In Aug 2017, I asked Service via email: "Some time ago, the ionizer setting was removed from the UI. Can you tell me if the setting is on or off in my Model S? If it is on, could you turn it off, where it will stay?"

They replied: "Hi, you are correct. The setting toggle was taken out and whatever setting that was selected would remain active. I confirmed remotely that your ionizer is set to off. Please let us know if you would ever want the functionality restored, we can do so remotely. Thanks!"

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  6. boaterva

Good grief. That would be nasty if it actually did something harmful (any real level of ozone (but I doubt it)) and it was on and you couldn’t tell OR turn it off.

I would hope when they remove things like that, it disables (turns off) the functionality also.

• Like x 1
  7. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

Extremely incompetent, Tesla's software team.

8. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

I didn't even know this was a thing. Is this in all cars of that era, or just those with the bio hazard defense mode?

9. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Just Model S between 2014 and 2016. Before bioweapon defense mode which was introduced for Model S with the refresh.

10. thenaimis

thenaimis Former Tesla Cheerleader

Is this another feature that Tesla has remotely disabled through software "upgrades"?

11. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

..that's a very expensive way to switch something on/off! If you get somebody very competent on the first call, maybe costs Tesla, what $25 - $50 (?) for the expense of a human doing this for you. Multiply this for every telephone tag on Tesla side until finding a competent person.

I wonder if the firmware just switched them all off fleet-wide at time of disappearing the button? Hoping nobody would remember or care about the feature. Put me in that camp.

If it used electricity to run, then off means better range and I'm all for that.