Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if you don't qualify for a lease after downpayment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My lease contact at Tesla didn't say whether I'd lose the $2500 or not when I inquired about this. He just said, "We have a variety of fallback plans if the lease with US Bank doesn't go through."

The entire three years of lease payments will total about $40,000. I told him I could just put that into escrow and make payments from that account, thereby reducing the leasing company's risk to 0. We'll see if that makes them sufficiently happy.

The entire three years of lease payments will total about $40,000. I told him I could just put that into escrow and make payments from that account, thereby reducing the leasing company's risk to 0. We'll see if that makes them sufficiently happy.

Most leases that I have done have an option for an upfront lump payment of the entire lease amount. That should nicely solve your problem if you can swing it. I only do businesses leases for my cars, and I pre-pay 1 year of lease payments at a time. This is tax deductible, but pre-paying a longer amount is not.

I originally tried to have the deposit transferred to another inventory car - no dice. Might be time to fire off a few e-mails...

I think it depends on when the deposit was made. My wife and I tried to purchase an inventory in December of 2014, when the financing didn't pan out, our advisor told us the $2,500 was non-refundable but it was transferable. Fast forward, we are doing better now and have figured out financing and made another $1,000 deposit. When I spoke to my new delivery rep he told me point blank I have forfeited my original deposit. Since this wasn't what I was originally told by my first delivery rep, I called HQ sales and spoke to Tiffany, she called the regional sales manager who helped us in 2014, he confirmed that the policy had changed and that we were told something different.

Moral of the story, we now have a $3,500 towards our CPO purchase.

Inventory car deposit was $2500, same as a new order.

This is a very old thread, I realise. Is this where your story ends in regard to your deposit? I just pasted this from our our Order Agreement. It’s the last two paragraphs.

“Special Circumstances” described below and as otherwise described in this Agreement, this Agreement is binding and you may not cancel.
Special Circumstances. This Agreement is subject to the two “Status of Your Deposit” paragraphs immediately above, however, if you have indicated in your order
that you intend to finance the Vehicle, and are not able to obtain financing from us or another bank lender despite a bona fide, good faith effort to do so, you may
cancel this contract and receive a full refund of your deposit amount.

• Informative
Reactions: croman