Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What I would do to the S interior in a refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very little. What would you do? I would:
  • Keep working on the seats - after months telling everybody here how great the premium perforated seats are, I'm beginning to prefer the Recaro Next Gens in my 2016. Give us more seat options.
  • Sound insulation
  • Do something to eliminate the plasticky silver material on the interior (screen bezel and in the door sill).
  • Upgrade the appearance and feel of the door sill leather and the door handles.
  • Sound insulation.
  • Soft close, self presenting doors
  • More storage pockets
  • Upgrade center console appearance.
  • Super trick road sensing suspension to make the ride even smoother as an option.
  • Even more effective ventilated seats.
  • Coat hooks, better mirrors.

Reactions: DIL
Having said that - the Model 3 interior is growing on me fast - I like it. But I don't think it looks any more "modern" than the S. It's different. I preferred the older BMW's that angled the controls toward the driver, for example - vs the Chris Bangle designs that did away with that unique BMW signature touch.

On the other hand - we *are* getting away from driving - so - it is what it is.

Not to forget, add some noise deadening.
FWIW my 2016 seemed quieter to me than the 2015 I rented this winter for a few weeks. And my 2017 seems noticeably quieter than my 2016 (girlfriend agrees with me though we have not broken out a db meter). I remain convinced they keep working away at sound insulation a bit more each year. Someobody on the X forum just gave a very detailed report on a new 2017 vs his early VIN 2016 - and he also reports improvements in NVH.

Posted this in the other thread. Not really all wishes, but more of a list of features other cars (in this case E-Class) have and the Model S doesn't.
  • Multibeam Adaptive Headlights with 84 LEDs
  • Open the trunk with your foot (station wagon, maybe that was the 5 Series)
  • Electronically folding rear seats (station wagon)
  • Automatic cargo cover (station wagon)
  • Softclose Doors
  • multi color LED ambient lighting
  • Sunvisors for the (rear window), the doors as well as the roof
  • Double sunvisors
  • Cooled & Massage Seats
  • Heated front armrests and upper door panels o_O
  • Touchpads on the steering wheel (X Prototype?)
  • 360° Camera
  • HUD
  • Android Auto and Carplay support
  • Wireless charging
  • Rear entertainment
  • Car to X Communication
  • Working Blind Spot Warning in the side mirror...
  • ...and being able to connect you phone via USB :rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: gowthamn
I'd like to have access to the car's cameras video, as if I had an aftermarket camera installed. The cameras are there. I bought them along with everything else in the car. They just sit there, waiting for software.

And more sound deadening for road noise. Did anyone mention that? I'd like to hear the gentle whine of the electric motors but not the tire sound. And I like the idea of a stereo with a speed related volume setting so I can get it louder than the tires when I'm on interstates then have it quiet down when things get slow.

I'd like to have more than one bluetooth device connected. Maybe just one phone but a music storage device as well. I know I can put it all on a thumb drive, and I've bought a thumb drive just for that. But I haven't copied all my music to it yet. I procrastinate. I'll copy it over tomorrow. Or next weekend.

I'd like the car to use Google Maps for directions. Whatever they use now just isn't as good. It's taken me on goose chases. I got spoiled by Google Maps on my iPhone before my Tesla. I want to go back to Google Maps; I want that a lot.

I want the camera to read speed limit signs. My friend's AP1 Tesla does that. My cameras are better. My on board computer is 40 times more powerful. There's one road where my car shows a speed limit of 55. Road signs show 35. That's a setup for a reckless driving ticket where I live. Stupid Tesla. I want a smart Tesla. 40 times smarter than my friend's.

I think I'd like paint that doesn't chip so easily. If they can't do that, they should wrap them all. Or maybe use powdercoat instead of paint. I powdercoated some wrenches, I can't get those to chip, and I've tried. Computer cases are powdercoated, the big buff colored under desk ones, not the laptops. I used the aluminum from a computer case to make something and had to remove the powdercoat. That was hell. Tesla should use that.

I like the car. It's great. My last car was a 1996 Ford Econoline 250 van. If you ever want to appreciate your Tesla, get a 1996 Econoline van. It was bouncy and had no cruise control at all. That van couldn't read speed limit signs either.

And let's add a lighted make up mirror on the passenger side. We have a Honda minivan, it's 13 years old but it has a lighted vanity mirror on the back of the passenger visor. Mary was surprised the Tesla didn't have that. I was, too. She'd rather we'd got another Honda anyway. She doesn't really appreciate very nice cars, they are just transportation to her. Well, transportation and mobile make up areas. Not at night, though, the Tesla isn't good for make up at night. Not like a Honda.

Last edited:
Posted this in the other thread. Not really all wishes, but more of a list of features other cars (in this case E-Class) have and the Model S doesn't.
  • Multibeam Adaptive Headlights with 84 LEDs
  • Open the trunk with your foot (station wagon, maybe that was the 5 Series)
  • Electronically folding rear seats (station wagon)
  • Automatic cargo cover (station wagon)
  • Softclose Doors
  • multi color LED ambient lighting
  • Sunvisors for the (rear window), the doors as well as the roof
  • Double sunvisors
  • Cooled & Massage Seats
  • Heated front armrests and upper door panels o_O
  • Touchpads on the steering wheel (X Prototype?)
  • 360° Camera
  • HUD
  • Android Auto and Carplay support
  • Wireless charging
  • Rear entertainment
  • Car to X Communication
  • Working Blind Spot Warning in the side mirror...
  • ...and being able to connect you phone via USB :rolleyes:

The Tesla does have:
Multi beam headlights

It has an autoboot

It has LED interior lighting (do you really need multicolour gimics?)

The E class glass roof is a joke. Its a tiny rear glass room about 15cm wide and a regular sun roof. You can't compare the two.

Do you need touchpads on the steering wheel when you have voice control that works and a 17inch touchpad?

The tesla parking sonar is the best in the business, but 360 degree cams would be a welcome addition. Do you really need them when the car can park itself flawlessly (hopefully soon)?

HUD? Do you really need one? An HUD to me is the 8 track of this era.

Wireless charging? Stop being a bogan and get an iPhone

Rear entertainment? Really?

Car to X communication is less advanced than the Tesla 4G connectivity no doubt.

• Disagree
Reactions: b team and gowthamn
I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but given how full Tesla's hands are with model 3, I don't see how they can focus on making any big changes to model s or x. Some small changes sure, but many of those will be offshoots from 3. For instance, the NFC/phone entry thing will most likely come to S and X.

Reactions: David29
I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but given how full Tesla's hands are with model 3, I don't see how they can focus on making any big changes to model s or x. Some small changes sure, but many of those will be offshoots from 3. For instance, the NFC/phone entry thing will most likely come to S and X.

Okay fine - gimme one more generation of seat improvement, magnetorheological shocks with a camera system that reads fine road undulations and a bit more NVH reduction - and I'll call it my ideal automobile for the very long run. The body itself I think looks as fresh as in 2012 and can run another 5 years or more if the interior is refreshed/improved and if self driving keeps steadily advancing, along with range for the money.

For the interior I'd just like better sound insulation, more storage pockets (e.g. for my sunglasses), and expandable sunvisors. Oh, and lighted vanity mirrors and oh-*sugar* handles for my wife.

Auto opening/closing front doors might be cool. I haven't seen how well it works on the X though.

The only other cool features that I have seen in other cars that I wish I had in my car are pothole-avoiding suspension and "birds eye" view when parking. The latter should be doable with all of the new cameras.