Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What if the key fob gets wet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a proponent of (iff you fob/electronic is still wet, and you have removed the battery) soaking your fob in distilled water (ideally) or isopropyl alcohol before dropping it in with some silica gel. Assuming you take out the battery first. This helps diminish any mineral deposits from forming on your device.

The Nissan Leaf tells you not to place it close to a cell phone. I had that happen when I placed the fab and cell in the same pocket. It would not start. I was about to panic and then remembered reading this in the manual. My 85 will not be here until late Feb, but I have unloaded the manual, and started reading.

I was surprised that they didn't do a better job of making the fob waterproof. My Prius fob was fairly well protected with a gasket protecting the battery cover. While it had gone through the washing machine several times each time the inside was still dry afterwards.

So I went to the waterpark with my kids. Having a great time until I see my son playing with what looks like a little boat. At a closer glance I realize it's my coveted Tesla key!! Good news is...It still worked after being submerged in water for a long time.

Here's a suggestion...

Put the fob into a small airtight tupperware container full of uncooked rice. Let it sit for at least 24-hours. The rice will absorb any remaining moisture and prevent corrosion. This method sometimes works with cell phones, depending on how long it's been wet.

Just put my fob through the wash for the first time. Knew that was going to happen sooner than later. I'm pretty good about checking my pockets, but I missed it hiding in my cargo shorts front pocket. The fob worked at first, then while driving for a few minutes I got the key fob not in car alert. It started working again a couple of minutes later. When I got back home I opened it up to remove the battery and there was a little bit of moisture inside. I put it in a bag of rolled oats. I didn't have any rice.

Has anyone ruined their keys this way? How much is a key fob replacement anyway? I thought I heard on the Talking Tesla pod-cast recently that they use to be $400, but are $150 now.

Yesterday the fob battery was replaced at routine service. Today fob stopped working until battery was replaced. We think it was dropped in a shallow puddle after detailing which was the only thing odd about the fob's whearabouts between new battery and key not in car message. Someone the shop said they had run theirs through the wash and it did not recover.

Dip it. Dip it in Plastic-Dip. Been done, and worked.
I'm happy to say my laundered fob is still functioning. Awesome idea about the plasti-dip. Thanks for posting that. I got some at Home Depot as soon as I could. Worked great.

IMG_2678.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Fiddler and Akikiki
Electronics are a strange beast. I had an iPhone 5 that went for a 6 hour fink 18 feet deep at my dock. Once all my guests had left I went down to see if by chance I could find it. The flash - light was illuminated like a beacon and I found it. Put it in our warming drawer for s bit then a bag of rice. That phone worked for almost 2 months before it got flakey and had to be replaced. Hope your fob doesn't experience any after affects....

There's more than one place to get one. I've seen them for sale on ebay, but I don't think anyone can vouch for it being good. The only other place is your local service center. You are fortunate that you have a couple of service centers in Sacramento. But you also need to take your other one. After you pay for the new one, they must take your remaining one and the new one to program them as a pair for your car.

I've washed one. Before you do anything else, I recommend you put the washed one in a pocket of pants and run it through the dryer at least once. That hot air will help dry it out. It did mine. Mine still worked after the dryer. Take the battery out,. What do you have to lose now?

Last time I heard someone say, the cost was about $170. That's not so bad, because when I thought I was going to have to replace mine, the cost then was $350. Even now with one bad one, consider yourself lucky, its going to cost you half what it did 4 years ago.