Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is best to protect paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NoMoGasBro

Woman who owns a P100D!
Apr 27, 2017
Georgia
I know they have 3M film and things like that but what do you use on your car? I dont want to not put any paint protection on the car since we do a lot of highway driving (I could but I wont) that would probably destroy the paint. And what kind of window tint do you guys also use? Im looking at about 15% Rear, 20% Front, and 35% Windshield.

I know they have 3M film and things like that but what do you use on your car? I dont want to not put any paint protection on the car since we do a lot of highway driving (I could but I wont) that would probably destroy the paint. And what kind of window tint do you guys also use? Im looking at about 15% Rear, 20% Front, and 35% Windshield.
Your post is confusing. Are you saying you do not want to put film on your car? Or that you DO want to put film on your car?

Xpel and Suntec are the most popular. I use Suntek (mostly because I didn't get good vibes from the local Xpel installer). Having a clear film is really the only way to protect the paint from rock chips. For windows, I purchased four slap on sun visors from Sporty's Pilot Shop. They are darker than any windshield tint you can get. Way less expensive, and can be easily moved.

We put XPEL on the entire car and even though I am still in shock from the expense, we are so glad we did. After one year there is not a single spot on the car and I park in pretty narrow parking garages not to mention our new building being on a construction site (it is a brand new building). Great ease of mind.
Not sure where you are lol dated but in AZ I can highly recommend Bulldog Detailing, Kyle.

Reactions: jerry33
i put liquid glass on, its easier and cheaper than film and looks just as good

Amazon.com: Liquid Glass LG-100 Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish - 16 oz.: Automotive

You get what you pay for. It will do nothing for rock chips and anything else striking the paint.

I have Xpel Ultimate full front and have already been saved 4 times from gravel falling out of the backs of trucks.

I have Opticoat 2.0 everywhere else for protection against bird dung, water spots, and possibly minor swirls. After two years, I'm swirl free even under a 10 watt led paint light on dark gray but I attribute that more to my beyond compulsive washing habits rather than the paint coating.

The Xpel Ultimate also heals from very minor damage or swirls for up to 7 years.

+1 on liquid glass.

Lets talk about rock chips.
There is no "immunity from rock chips".
Yes xpel is better because it's literally a plastic film, but a big enough rock will get through.

Same applies to their self-healing demos - sure it heals itself if you rub it with steel wool, but
a) You won't literally rub your car with steel wool ~ however a full xpel means you can drive your car through commercial car washes.
b) And if a tree branch or bush or an ex-girlfriend decided to do some damage, I doubt xpel would save you.

It's a car, evaluate how much you want to protect it vs. what sort of return you expect.
And frankly, the best way to protect your paint is
a) Regular maint.
b) Drive on nicer roads,
c) Don't drive behind trucks. Keep that auto-follow distance to 7.

2 years in, liquid glass, self-wax and wash, car looks brand new, 1 rock chip.
Am I p!ssed about the rock chip? Slightly! But I'm happier that I saved $3k-$5k on xpel.

Lets put it this way, if you cannot put in elbow grease, your car sits outside, and you want to drive through commercial car washes, get xpel. It protects, but it costs quite a bit too.

Otherwise, save the $, you need the exercise anyway.

Sorry, answering Q in a different way,

- Best way to protect paint,

~ don't drive (free)
~ xpel + opticoat (5-7K, not 100% safe, but best protection)
~ just opticoat (2k, no safety from rock chips)
~ just wax (whatever you spend or self do, no safety from rock chips, and you'll have to put in the work)
~ don't do anything (free).

In all the above, don't drive behind trucks or on poor roads.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18
+1 on liquid glass.

Lets talk about rock chips.
There is no "immunity from rock chips".
Yes xpel is better because it's literally a plastic film, but a big enough rock will get through.

Same applies to their self-healing demos - sure it heals itself if you rub it with steel wool, but

Note sure where you're getting your info but your way off base.

Xpel is complete protection against rock chips. Rocks will dent your body before they get all the way through xpel ultimate.

A large enough rock will go completely through your car. Heck, a large enough rock will destroy the planet. What exactly was your point :rolleyes:

Secondly, I've had dozens of very tiny nicks from gravel hitting xpel that completely vanished within a week and are now undetectable.

Xpel is complete protection against rock chips. Rocks will dent your body before they get all the way through xpel ultimate.

I'm not off base. Just read your sentence - you just said xpel doesn't protect against every single rock.
It reduces the probability of damage but does not eliminate it.

My point was, is it worth spend $5k to protect a depreciating asset? In my mind it does not make enough financial sense.
However once you throw emotion into it, sense goes out the window and xpel is worth it.

I'm not off base. Just read your sentence - you just said xpel doesn't protect against every single rock.

My point was, is it worth spend $5k to protect a depreciating asset? In my mind it does not make enough financial sense.
However once you throw emotion into it, sense goes out the window and xpel is worth it.

Like I said, you're way off base. $5K? My full front Xpel Ultimate was $1195 and provides complete protection from anything small enough to not cause a dent. I've already saved at least 6 times that amount.

It's also a full edge wrap install with no seams or edges showing at all and includes one free bumper redo when I want.

Why would I need full coverage? Almost anything that will damage the paint from an impact will come from the front as it has in my case. As a result, even though I've had trucks spill gravel on me, I'm chip free, swirl free, and ding free.

"ding free" ..your front end XPEL protects you from minivan dings on the side?
Like I said, xpel is a GOOD product, but it's pricey, and nothing is 100% safe.
I value protecting a depreciating asset less than you. So you spend on XPEL, I'll spend on hookers and weed.

I ask this question to determine whether or it should be considered, "Is it less than sales tax?" (or what would be sales tax if you live in a jurisdiction without sales tax). If so, it's probably cost effective. If not, then don't. And so far it's saved me two bumper repaints from cars who scraped mine (less the cost of some bug and tar remover). I've seen prices quoted in forums up to $2,600 for a bumper repaint. No idea how accurate or current that is, but if true I've recouped the cost. If not, I've at least saved the days of shop time.

(Disclosure, I use Suntek, but Xpel would perform similarly.)

If you have help and willing to do it yourself you will probably spend $2-3K on materials if you go xpel. It is a lot of work and you need to know how to cut it properly without cutting into the paint. The reason I did it is I have no plans on selling the car anytime soon. Moreover xpel gives me piece of mind where ever I use it. Otherwise I would garage the thing all the time. I personally know of another owner who does this to his tesla. It seems to be kind of a waste spending all that money and not enjoying it as much.

Reactions: sorka
I know they have 3M film and things like that but what do you use on your car? I dont want to not put any paint protection on the car since we do a lot of highway driving (I could but I wont) that would probably destroy the paint.
After 2 years with no paint protection film but with Opticoat Pro Plus, my opinion is get the hood wrapped and don't worry about anything else.

Here's what no PPF does, from my experience:

Now that I had to get a new hood, I had 3M PPF installed on it. I sleep much better at night now :D Go to my channel and look at my latest video to see how the car looks today (the car was crunched on the front end earlier this year).

Stuff like Opticoat doesn't last forever. It did help with keeping swirl marks down and made the car easier to clean but after a year or so it's effectiveness was greatly diminished, so unless you want to have it touched up every year, don't worry about doing it in the first place.