TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is going on in Norway???

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Modeler, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Modeler

Modeler Member

We are visiting Oslo and have been walking around for half a day today. At some point we noticed that there was an unusually high number of Teslas around. Once we started counting, we got 18 of them, including a MS taxi and an MS with a weird custom two-tone paint job. That's more Models S than I see in a month in the DC area!

I wonder why the numbers are so high? Is there an unusually large tax benefit? Or just high popularity? Can anyone shed some light?

2. GSP

GSP Member

ICE car buyers pay very heavy taxes in Norway, espically high powered ones. EVs are exempt. A Model S costs about the same as a VW Golf GTI after taxes.

PEVs are now 25-30% of new car sales in Norway.

Norway is a great country. Enjoy your visit.

GSP

• Informative x 3
  3. f-stop

f-stop Member

• Informative x 1
  4. John Stuckey

John Stuckey Member

Looks like you visited the future. Thanks for reporting back.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 3
  5. gfunkdave

gfunkdave New Member

I was visiting friends in Oslo a few months ago and asked the very same question. They said an equivalent-performance car to the MS would cost $200k with the taxes that the MS is exempt from, so people just buy the MS.

• Like x 1
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Norway has at times in the past few years been the #2 country after the US for number of Teslas delivered in a quarter, for the reasons described above. It has been much discussed on TMC.

7. eloder

eloder Member

It's what happens with proper incentives are provided :)

Next up, Norway reports significantly decreased healthcare costs in 20 years due to the utter proliferation of EVs and renewables.

• Like x 2
  8. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Well, the S did save the life of a woman and her child in Norway.
    Woman and child saved by the Model S in a landslide

• Like x 2
  9. xav-

xav- Member

Norwegians are used to stuff being expensive.. I am pretty sure a $100k car is cheap for them. And they are all green and want to ban ICE cars. Pretty ironic considering they make all their money selling oil (they don't produce anything else).. Even Americans make more stuff

:D

• Funny x 1
  10. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Member

They put the profit into a Wealth Fund ... part of which is funding their move to EV, helped by the amount of Hydro they have. Good for them - they did something sensible with the money when they stumbled over their windfall.

Here in the UK we probably had just as much North Sea oil as Norway - certainly "more than enough" - but we squandered the profits - mostly on unemployment benefits as I recollect it ...

11. f-stop

f-stop Member

I happen to be visiting Stockholm now and just saw a Model S taxi here. While I think total Tesla sales here are still tiny compared to Norway, I hear they are growing quickly. I wonder if Norway's neighbours have good EV incentives?