Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is P85D Ludicrous upgrade worth on resale ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a fully loaded 2015 Model S P85D with about 26k miles on it.

What will this increase the resale value of my Insane P85D if I upgrade it to Ludicrous ?

Wondering if I'll get the $5,000 back if I sell it now or later...

ludicrous_4c1e1d0e-0c5c-4e0c-b7ec-44230aa5b609_1024x1024.png
ludicrous_button_small.jpg

I have a fully loaded 2015 Model S P85D with about 26k miles on it.

What will this increase the resale value of my Insane P85D if I upgrade it to Ludicrous ?

Wondering if I'll get the $5,000 back if I sell it now or later...

My vote is not much of it, maybe more so now that Tesla limits the number of launches in ludicrous mode. I've only driven a P85D with insane mode and there is a step change (just empirical based on feel) in acceleration compared to my S90D. I doubt ludicrous adds a full step. Going from a S85 to the S90D was barely noticeable, even though the 0-60 time is over a second faster. My wife doesn't get a headache in either car but the P85D made her sick.

I follow EV-CPO quite a bit. I was looking at inventory P85Ds and P90Ds in Q3. I ended up getting the 90D because of the range but I when I evaluated the P cars I didn't really care about the ludicrous option.

Looks like you have a great car. Might as well hold onto it until something significantly better comes along.

Reactions: BrokerDon
My vote is not much of it, maybe more so now that Tesla limits the number of launches in ludicrous mode.

They don't limit the number of launches in Ludicrous mode on ANY tesla. They limit the POWER on the P90DL V2 only. The P90DL with the 1600 amp (v2) battery is limited to 1500 amps after some number of launches. The P90DL V1 battery and P85DL are both already limited to 1500 amps from the start. The P100DL is also not effected.

I just received a voicemail from our Tesla Service Center asking if I still wanted the Ludicrous upgrade I'd ordered January 4th for my 2015 P85D with the Plus suspension (March 2015 build).

I bought our fully loaded P85D in August 2015 with 2,901 miles as an "inventory" car and now have ~ 29,000 miles on it. TOTALLY love driving it both around town and road trips since it has AutoPilot.

Do you feel the Ludicrous upgrade is worth the $5,000 cost? Obviously more speed will be appreciated since I came from a 505 hp / 3,100 lb. 2006 Corvette Z06... but how much (if any) would this upgrade increase the resale value in 3 to 5 years?

I just received a voicemail from our Tesla Service Center asking if I still wanted the Ludicrous upgrade I'd ordered January 4th for my 2015 P85D with the Plus suspension (March 2015 build).

I bought our fully loaded P85D in August 2015 with 2,901 miles as an "inventory" car and now have ~ 29,000 miles on it. TOTALLY love driving it both around town and road trips since it has AutoPilot.

Do you feel the Ludicrous upgrade is worth the $5,000 cost? Obviously more speed will be appreciated since I came from a 505 hp / 3,100 lb. 2006 Corvette Z06... but how much (if any) would this upgrade increase the resale value in 3 to 5 years?

Difficult if not impossible to say. As far as I know, all CPO P85D cars come without Ludicrous, so in a private sale of your car, it might be more attractive to a prospective buyer if it has Ludicrous.

However depending on how long you keep the car, you could wind up getting the full $5K worth of enjoyment out of Ludicrous, such that anything at all that you got for it over what a comparable non Ludicrous P85D would have fetched would have made it worth it.

I plan to find out the answer soon when I sell my P85DL with ~30,000 miles. I'm ready to sell now but haven't formally listed it yet. I suspect the next few months will see quite a large number of these being sold to move to the newer, quicker. longer range, HEPA filter, AP-2 cars. Many of these owners are waiting until AP-2 begins to have real advantages. In my case I have been renting AP-2 cars when I travel, and I'm just waiting to pull the plug.

Either way, I cannot see that L itself is likely to be any material resale advantage. In reality the biggest change is the inconel temperature sensor vs the old one. That raises max power outputted probable durability, but not enough to make many used car buyers pay extra. OTOH, I do think L will make resale quicker, just as well-equipped models sell faster than do base ones. FWIW, most of the time I suspect 19" wheels will sell better than 21" ones because many buyers will think about tire life and consequent higher operating cost for the 21" cars.

Thanks for everybody's insights. I really appreciate it!

Tough decision... Compounded with a major repair from wind driven rain damage in January to our coastal home. (Yeah I know it never rains in Southern California). Got insurance settlement fairly quickly but has taken this long to find an experienced contractor who would take our "small" job on. Holding off on the Ludicrous upgrade decision until I know how much these repairs are going to cost. Six new windows, small section to re-roof, new flashing & siding, drywall, insulation, etc. Way less fun than the Ludicrous upgrade but a necessary evil.

Stay tuned...

I plan to find out the answer soon when I sell my P85DL with ~30,000 miles. I'm ready to sell now but haven't formally listed it yet. I suspect the next few months will see quite a large number of these being sold to move to the newer, quicker. longer range, HEPA filter, AP-2 cars. Many of these owners are waiting until AP-2 begins to have real advantages. In my case I have been renting AP-2 cars when I travel, and I'm just waiting to pull the plug.

Either way, I cannot see that L itself is likely to be any material resale advantage. In reality the biggest change is the inconel temperature sensor vs the old one. That raises max power outputted probable durability, but not enough to make many used car buyers pay extra. OTOH, I do think L will make resale quicker, just as well-equipped models sell faster than do base ones. FWIW, most of the time I suspect 19" wheels will sell better than 21" ones because many buyers will think about tire life and consequent higher operating cost for the 21" cars.

Let us know how you come out.

Thanks for everybody's insights. I really appreciate it!

Tough decision... Compounded with a major repair from wind driven rain damage in January to our coastal home. (Yeah I know it never rains in Southern California). Got insurance settlement fairly quickly but has taken this long to find an experienced contractor who would take our "small" job on. Holding off on the Ludicrous upgrade decision until I know how much these repairs are going to cost. Six new windows, small section to re-roof, new flashing & siding, drywall, insulation, etc. Way less fun than the Ludicrous upgrade but a necessary evil.

Stay tuned...

First things first.

Good luck with the repairs.

Ludicrous' greatest practical benefit is in its highway passing capability. It's a night and day difference vs Insane. So if that helps you any, well then great.

But back to the resale. In a nutshell, don't spend the $5k expecting much, if any of a ROI.

If you get a few dollars of your $5k back, well then great.

However be prepared to get little to none of it back.

And that's fine too if you keep the car for long enough to get your 5k worth of value added benefit out of it.

We've had Ludicrous since April of 2016. I can assure you that we've gotten 5k worth of utility and enjoyment out of it during this time.

Still seriously considering the Ludicrous upgrade to add the Ludicrous underline now that I added a + emblem (special order from eBay sellerrmyparts4u650) to "Pegasus", our "unicorn" with the the rare P85D Plus suspension :D. I'd placed my Ludicrous order online with a %500 deposit in January. Our local Tesla Service Center finally called last month asking if I was still interested and I told them I'd gat back to them. Based on this thread, my Ludicrous upgrade window might be closing: Ludicrous Retrofit No Longer Available???

IMG_4487.jpg
IMG_4488.jpg

Reactions: P100DHG.