Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is public perception of owning a Tesla after Musk's tweet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I say this. :) I Waited on line overnight to put my name on a list for the model 3 before I knew what it would look like. People like me from Brooklyn who have invested in alternative energy stocks including tesla have made out quite well thank you. Ha.
Seriously, just joking. But no worries, I'll confine my jokes to Jersey from here out.......

I live in rural Oregon. We have two Teslas in the garage. We’re also stockholders.

I’m very concerned about the effect Mr. Musk is having on his brand. We bought our cars to avoid petroleum products (we had a Chevy Volt and an old Subaru previously). I’m feeling embarrassed to be driving one. I have actually considered selling and replacing with another EV. They have held their value, that’s for sure, so it wouldn’t be that hard.

I also think it’s not good for a stock if the CEO is pulling employees from Tesla to work at Twitter, tweeting adolescent memes, and begging Stephen King for $8. WTF? If I were on the Tesla board, I’d think seriously about if he’s right for the CEO job. I worked in tech—founders of a startup are not necessarily the best stewards of an established company. It’s a different skill set.

I think Elon's antics are extremely polarizing where I live and work (NorthShore, Chicagoland). Many of the folks I interact with socially are educated, liberal and affluent. And I know a number who did not renew their Tesla leases because of Elon. I would love to own a Tesla someday but I may not to be able to get clearance from the tower if Elon doesn't control himself.

Musk is well known for being bombastic and saying things that may offend others. I buy vehicles based on their qualities, not what the CEO tweets. If I were to be so concerned with what people at the manufacturer have said or done, I'd never have owned a Ford, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Porsche, BMW or Mercedes product.
That’s great for you! That’s just not me. I don’t buy a lot of brands because I disagree with their practices or politics. Just as you are free to disregard his actions, I am free to cringe and make other choices. I do think I have a valid criticism in that I believe his actions affect the Tesla stock price. How can investors have faith in a guy who overpays for a company by many billions of dollars? It doesn’t make him look smart. That’s a quagmire he didn’t need to step in.

I think Elon's antics are extremely polarizing where I live and work (NorthShore, Chicagoland). Many of the folks I interact with socially are educated, liberal and affluent. And I know a number who did not renew their Tesla leases because of Elon. I would love to own a Tesla someday but I may not to be able to get clearance from the tower if Elon doesn't control himself.
More Teslæ for the rest of us who don’t worry about such frivolities.

Cheers and may your future EV bring you much joy and accolades.

I live in rural Oregon. We have two Teslas in the garage. We’re also stockholders.

I’m very concerned about the effect Mr. Musk is having on his brand. We bought our cars to avoid petroleum products (we had a Chevy Volt and an old Subaru previously). I’m feeling embarrassed to be driving one. I have actually considered selling and replacing with another EV. They have held their value, that’s for sure, so it wouldn’t be that hard.

I also think it’s not good for a stock if the CEO is pulling employees from Tesla to work at Twitter, tweeting adolescent memes, and begging Stephen King for $8. WTF? If I were on the Tesla board, I’d think seriously about if he’s right for the CEO job. I worked in tech—founders of a startup are not necessarily the best stewards of an established company. It’s a different skil set.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Steve Jobs was an a-hole. People bought iPhone's anyway because it was a great product despite the leader being a jerk.

Same applies here. Elon is an a-hole. He's also a great car and space ship designer. Both can be true.
I can agree here.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that I wouldn’t invite Elon out for dinner. I would, but it wouldn’t be because I think he’s the most perfect individual — That would be boring. 😵‍💫

I also think it’s not good for a stock if the CEO is pulling employees from Tesla to work at Twitter, tweeting adolescent memes, and begging Stephen King for $8. WTF? If I were on the Tesla board, I’d think seriously about if he’s right for the CEO job. I worked in tech—founders of a startup are not necessarily the best stewards of an established company. It’s a different skill set.
Elon IS TESLA. There is ZERO doubt that he has made TESLA the MOST VALUABLE company in the world. We don’t know the terms associated with the work performed by the TESLA engineers who followed Elon over to Twitter for the week. For all we know, Elon agreed to pay a handsome consulting fee to TESLA to compensate TESLA for the time the engineers spent at Twitter. Suffice it to say that Elon trusts these engineers and their coding abilities in the midst of taking control of Twitter’s source code that he has purchased.

It sounds like you have a problem with Elon’s attempts to cultivate and curate free speech online through his Twitter purchase. If you don’t like the idea of conservatives having the same open voice that Leftists have enjoyed unfettered on Twitter since its inception, then shame on you. You sound like you are hemming and hawing about your support for Elon and the work he has done at Twitter. Either shut up, keep your TESLA’s and your $TSLA holdings and continue to enjoy your free speech on Twitter, or shut up and sell everything and let that be the end of it.

> Elon trusts these engineers and their coding abilities in the midst of taking control of Twitter’s source code that he has purchased.

You don't seem to get it. The TSLA engineers do NOT belong to Elon - they belong to Tesla - a public company for which Elon has feduciary duty. He doesn't get to pull resources off Tesla to his completely private side project simply because he trusts them - in fact this likely means he's pulling the very best elite talent off to work on his personal side gig.

Elon is a great car and space ship designer. He is also a total jerk at times, and often does things that are unethical. This is one of them.

> Elon trusts these engineers and their coding abilities in the midst of taking control of Twitter’s source code that he has purchased.

You don't seem to get it. The TSLA engineers do NOT belong to Elon - they belong to Tesla - a public company for which Elon has feduciary duty. He doesn't get to pull resources off Tesla to his completely private side project simply because he trusts them - in fact this likely means he's pulling the very best elite talent off to work on his personal side gig.

Elon is a great car and space ship designer. He is also a total jerk at times, and often does things that are unethical. This is one of them.
You are citing ethics concerns over a situation, the details of which you (and I) are unfamiliar with. Again, for all we know, Elon and the TESLA Board agreed that Elon/Twitter would pay a handsome consulting fee to TESLA for the week’s worth of work performed by this group of TESLA engineers. Either way, clearly, Elon and the TESLA Board have trust, for that is just one of the many reasons (I’m sure) that the TESLA Board continues to compensate Elon as CEO with increasing numbers of $TSLA shares worth many billions of dollars. Aside, do you honestly believe that Elon “pulling away” a dozen or so of TESLA’s “best and brightest” engineers is really slowing down the work being done at TESLA—or are you just mad now that conservatives are able to enjoy the same free speech you’ve enjoyed unfettered on Twitter since its inception???

Again, it sounds like you are having a crisis of conscience. Time to SH!T or get off the pot, mate! Either keep all your Elon toys and $TSLA stock holdings and buck up, or sell it all and CANCEL your Twitter account. Personally, I’d advocate for the former, especially keeping your Twitter account. You just might learn a new idea amidst that nouveau free speech on Twitter!

You are citing ethics concerns over a situation, the details of which you (and I) are unfamiliar with. Again, for all we know, Elon and the TESLA Board agreed that Elon/Twitter would pay a handsome consulting fee to TESLA for the week’s worth of work performed by this group of TESLA engineers. Either way, clearly, Elon and the TESLA Board have trust, for that is just one of the many reasons (I’m sure) that the TESLA Board continues to compensate Elon as CEO with increasing numbers of $TSLA shares worth many billions of dollars. Aside, do you honestly believe that Elon “pulling away” a dozen or so of TESLA’s “best and brightest” engineers is really slowing down the work being done at TESLA—or are you just mad now that conservatives are able to enjoy the same free speech you’ve enjoyed unfettered on Twitter since its inception???

Again, it sounds like you are having a crisis of conscience. Time to SH!T or get off the pot, mate! Either keep all your Elon toys and $TSLA stock holdings and buck up, or sell it all and CANCEL your Twitter account. Personally, I’d advocate for the former, especially keeping your Twitter account. You just might learn a new idea amidst that nouveau free speech on Twitter!

You made the assumption that Elon has taken his best, most trusted engineers to twitter. I simply went with what you said, and indicated that it is very likely a breach of his feduciary duty to the public company Tesla.

You seem to need there to be absolute fealty to the perfect greatness of Elon, with the only other option being someone who can find nothing good about him in any way and just loves to hate.

Alas, some of us are perfectly capable of being fans of Elon's work in engineering, while also accepting that he's a very flawed human being who does things wrong at times. This is one of them. Sorry if that makes your position of Elon-can-do-no-wrong uncomfortable.

You made the assumption that Elon has taken his best, most trusted engineers to twitter. I simply went with what you said, and indicated that it is very likely a breach of his feduciary duty to the public company Tesla.

You seem to need there to be absolute fealty to the perfect greatness of Elon, with the only other option being someone who can find nothing good about him in any way and just loves to hate.

Alas, some of us are perfectly capable of being fans of Elon's work in engineering, while also accepting that he's a very flawed human being who does things wrong at times. This is one of them. Sorry if that makes your position of Elon-can-do-no-wrong uncomfortable.
Hey, mate. I am well aware that Elon is far from perfect. That said, we could certainly do worse in our choice of billionaires. (cf. Bezos, that guy who owns DishTV, et al.)

I just think it’s ironic that Elon (like Trump) was beloved by many on the Left until he crossed a line. (Elon advocating for free speech for all; Trump ran for POTUS.) Now, Elon seems to be getting a LOT of undue and unnecessary hate.

Aside, how do you figure there is “very likely a breech of fiduciary duty” as CEO of TESLA? Do you even know what that term means? You’re making a LOT of assumptions about the situation which neither of us is closely familiar. For all we know, he authorized all of the engineers to use a week of their accrued vacation from TESLA and offered to pay them each $5k for their week’s worth of work. WE DON’T KNOW—so STOP assuming the worst! You’re making yourself look really stupid, mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.