Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla's upcoming 'under your nose' announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually came here to read reactions to Elon's tweet: Earnings call next week, then Supercharger week after and then... the mystery announcement/demonstration :)

What is going to be demonstrated?

I seem to recall that he has previously clarified that this is something that will make current owners of Tesla cars happy, and that is "right under your nose". If it will be announced by means of a demonstration, it has to be something you can do with your current car, so either a hidden feature, a new feature that will be available after a firmware upgrade (5.0?) or some new, physical addon product you can buy.

I think the physical addon idea sounds contrived/unconvincing. And if it is a hidden feature, it still needs a firmware update to enable it, so I feel this is it.

Would "enabling wifi" warrant an announcement and a demonstration? I don't think so. ACC would be wicked. But I have a feeling this is something geniunely new (making it harder to guess at).

I'm hoping for free connectivity. Am I being too optimistic?

Here's my thinking. Pseudo-lease was announced, and their "total cost of ownership" calculations did not include service costs or connectivity costs. Then they announced service was optional. Then they made adjustments to the pseudo-lease, pretty much addressing all complaints, except that they still did not account for connectivity. Now, of course, they might just be waiting to add it to the calculator until the price is announced, but it would be somewhat disingenuous to not provide a disclaimer.

Yeah, ok, so if they charge for connectivity, it will be optional, just like the annual service visits. So maybe not.

I seem to recall that he has previously clarified that this is something that will make current owners of Tesla cars happy, and that is "right under your nose".

Here again is the exact quote from Musk near the end of a Bloomberg interview on April 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] in which he was describing an upcoming series of announcements:

“Then there’s a third announcement that I won’t quite talk about, but I think is pretty cool, except to say that if you’re driving a Model S, it’s right under your nose.”

Then on April 25[SUP]th[/SUP] he tweeted the following in preparation for the service announcement the next day, which was unrelated to the mystery announcement hinted above:

“Announcement of new @Tesla Motors strategy tomorrow. Tesla owners will like this.”

Ok, I was thinking about this announcement today and in another thread someone said that a tweet had said "demonstration"

I doubt Elon wants those stupid looking parking sensors on the nose or bumpers of any model S, so what they discovered a way to have parking assist without them. AND, what if they created a system that you don't have to try to use. IE: the nose senses if it going to hit something and stops the car. For instance, if I'm pulling up to someone in front of me in a parking lot, the car sense them and then even though I'm giving the car "acceleration" it drives forward and slows down automatically and then stops 3-6 inches away whether I continue to press the accelerator. That would make an interesting "demonstration". It's under your nose too.

Whats Musk going to Demo next week?

Any clues or ideas what we think he's going to demo next week after the SuperCharger announcement? Only clue I heard was "under our nose?

Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 1.50.36 PM.png