Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla's upcoming 'under your nose' announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem's the hardware, Larry. Folks who've had their cars taken apart and turned into the Huns and such haven't found any.

Since Elon likes the multimedia capability of the car so much - the "any song any time" bit was mentioned in the Q1 letter to shareholders - I think video's coming to the big screen!

Problem's the hardware, Larry. Folks who've had their cars taken apart and turned into the Huns and such haven't found any.

Since Elon likes the multimedia capability of the car so much - the "any song any time" bit was mentioned in the Q1 letter to shareholders - I think video's coming to the big screen!

To be clear, it is not my contention that all the software hooks in the firmware will support all the new features, such as adaptive cruise control, or collision avoidance, etc., without additional hardware. My suggestion is that some software-based functionality, that does not require additional hardware, may be implemented to current owners for free, and other functions, particularly those that require addtional hardware, may be offered to current owner for a fee.

Larry

So its your opinion that none of the hidden features built into the Model S firmware will ever be available to current owners, either for free or at an additional fee?

Larry

My opinion is that Tesla built a common diagnosis system that could be used across all of their existing and future cars. I believe they will use the same system in the Model X, the Model S V2 the Gen 3 .... If I was building a Schema for this diagnosis tool, I'd bung everything I could think of in there even though there may not be any plans to include these things ever!. I just really wished they'd added a field for "Ejector seat - Enabled/Disabled" Now that would get people talking :)

At 11:24 am EDT today Elon tweeted: "There is a way for the Tesla Model S to be recharged throughout the country faster than you could fill a gas tank."

Two minutes later in response to a questioner in that tweet set Elon added: "Don't forget the mystery announcement. Part 5 of the trilogy."

in the above, battery swapping does make sense -- otherwise, why wouldn't it be coupled with the SC announcement? We know the ability was baked into the car, so that would constitute right under your nose. How practical is it though?

Battery swapping is not a cool demo. Lightning charging is! :smile: It's hypercharging; to be announced in combination with the hyperloop of course.

Elon does use the word recharged. Does battery swapping count as recharging? Hmmm.

85kWh in 5 minutes (20C) is possible for some Li+ cells. Plugging in a 1MW charge cable, that might be a nice demo!