Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the best way to cool the battery in extreme heat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the battery cooling takes priority over the cabin ac, what us the best way to cool the battery in extreme 119+ heat so that the cabin temp is bearable? Drive slower? Park it and leave ac on for awhile? Im driving from la to phoenix on monday, so i want to be prepared.

Any experience is appreciated.

This is the 4th AZ summer with our Model S...

Basically, don't worry about it much. I've found that the only time I notice much extra range loss due to heat is when the temps are over 110 and the car has been parked outside (even in shade, but the impact is slightly less than when parked in the sun). You will notice a drop in range for the first 5-10 minutes while the AC cools the cabin and the battery. Once that initial cool down is complete, the compressor

Before you leave and while your X is still plugged in, use the app to cool the car down for ~30 min before you leave. Set the temp to Lo and that will get the interior all cooled off before you go without using any of the battery. Set the temp to 71-72 when your unplug and you should be fine. When Supercharging in Quartzite or other hot locations, also use the app to turn the AC on 5 or so min before going also.

Enjoy the trip!

We just did a round trip from Tucson to San Fransisco (via LA) last week with our Model X. On our way back on Sunday, during the record setting temperatures, we had no problems in California until we arrived at the 118º temperatures as we crossed back to the AZ border. With about 60 miles of remaining range and 2 miles from the Quartzsite Supercharger, the A/C turned off. Luckily we didn't suffer much. We tried to stay in the car during supercharging, but the A/C was blowing hot air (we then went into Carl's Jr.). After the car had sufficient range, we continued on our trip, but it took a good 10 minutes before the A/C was blowing any cold air. With about 40 miles of range as we approached the Buckeye Supercharger, the A/C performance was starting to decline a bit. The car again would not give us any A/C while supercharging. After the car was charged enough to go to the Casa Grande Supercharger we headed out. The A/C was fine after this and when charging at Casa Grande.

Most of the time, we got the following message when the A/C was reduced of blowing hot air:
Vehicle Systems Being Cooled Notification.JPG

We just did a round trip from Tucson to San Fransisco (via LA) last week with our Model X. On our way back on Sunday, during the record setting temperatures, we had no problems in California until we arrived at the 118º temperatures as we crossed back to the AZ border. With about 60 miles of remaining range and 2 miles from the Quartzsite Supercharger, the A/C turned off. Luckily we didn't suffer much. We tried to stay in the car during supercharging, but the A/C was blowing hot air (we then went into Carl's Jr.). After the car had sufficient range, we continued on our trip, but it took a good 10 minutes before the A/C was blowing any cold air. With about 40 miles of range as we approached the Buckeye Supercharger, the A/C performance was starting to decline a bit. The car again would not give us any A/C while supercharging. After the car was charged enough to go to the Casa Grande Supercharger we headed out. The A/C was fine after this and when charging at Casa Grande.

Most of the time, we got the following message when the A/C was reduced of blowing hot air:
View attachment 182259
Last monday going from Phoenix to san diego, it was 125 at the el centro supercharger when we stopped there, was plugged in for about an hour while we ate. Used the app to have the ac on well before we had to leave, but the ac blew nothing but hot air for about 45 min, and had an alert for awhile that said the battery was redirecting resources to cool the battery. When we head back we will try to avoid a long time plugged in at superchargers in extreme temps and perhaps let it sit a bit after unplugging it.. Have a service appt set up for when we are back. Its a model x 90d.

Keep the car plugged in until you leave. It will keep battery conditioned then using wall power. If you leave it unplugged and it heat soaks, it will be using battery power while driving to get it into best condition. You may even see a power limitation until it does so.

• Helpful
Reactions: xkwizit
Did the trip back from la to phoenix and all was well. Didnt stay plugged in at a supercharger more than 40 min and had high temps of (only) 110. Ac worked great. Did a restart when we got home, just in case. I love driving the model x.

Did the trip back from la to phoenix and all was well. Didnt stay plugged in at a supercharger more than 40 min and had high temps of (only) 110. Ac worked great. Did a restart when we got home, just in case. I love driving the model x.

When it's very hot, after the Supercharger session is complete you could do a remote start (if you're not in the car) and wait 15 minutes before driving it. Since there would be no additional load from driving, I think the car would cool off much more quickly.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhanson865
To update on the final solution. The service center pulled the logs from when the issue happened and wanted to bring the car in because this shouldnt ever happen. they found that the A/C lines were installed incorrectly at the factory. they fixed this, and now the A/C works great. It used to work ok and i just thought that was how it was supposed to be, but now its noticeably better. The car cools much quicker than it used to, the auto temperature setting is much more effective and i'd be surprised if there were any issues in extreme heat again.

araxara - i'd recommend taking it to the service center

I'm not sure if this makes total sense. But the faster I go, the cooler the cabin is. I.E.: driving at 30mph, the cabin doesn't seem to be as cool as if I am driving at 50 or 70. I attribute that to better battery cooling though airflow.

I am not sure how, or if, the outside air is routed, when the car is moving, to the Tesla a/c condenser to help the fan move air over the condenser. But in ICE machines when you drive faster the airflow helps the fan effort. This lowers the a/c system head pressure and produces colder air.

I am not sure how, or if, the outside air is routed, when the car is moving, to the Tesla a/c condenser to help the fan move air over the condenser. But in ICE machines when you drive faster the airflow helps the fan effort. This lowers the a/c system head pressure and produces colder air.
I think that makes total sense and expect that's what they have done. That and the cooling effect on the body and glass as we move faster.