TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is the biggest tire I can put on a 10.5x22

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by landover, Jul 7, 2015.

1. landover

landover Member

I had 3 rims crack on me already and have had about enough! I'm running 25 Series right now. This is only on the rear that the rims keep cracking on. The fronts are 9" X 22"

2. Popsmuf

Popsmuf Member

I'm running 22 x9s all around with 255/30/22

Someone here was running 255/35/22 on fronts. I'd like to try that size too, but my car is lowered so not sure about rubbing on the fronts. The rears, should be able to take 255/35/22 no problem. The only tire that comes in that size is Nitto Invos

I'm curious, what is the load rating on your 25 series tire?

3. I sorry to say we've never "done the math" to find the correct size that would be the right diameter and load capacity when using (any) 22" wheel. Can I interest you in a nice set of 19" or 20" ??:biggrin:

The vendor that sold you the 22" set should be able to recommend the appropriate size, but I would imagine that they could not guarantee any other size that would be noticeably taller than what you have. Anything that would be more than 5% taller than stock would cause issues with ABS / Traction Control / Stability Control), so the main way to reduce the likelihood of wheel damage is to switch to a smaller diameter wheels.

4. landover

landover Member

5. Zybane

Zybane Member

Your wheels are cracking more-so due to them being rather cheap and cast. Forged would be much stronger, but you do pay 3x the price.