Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference between 70 vs 70D MPGe? Which one should I get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a fly on the wall on these forums for a while now, and just now getting more serious about getting into a MS... My question is, what's the MPGe difference between the 70 and the 70D. The AWD function isn't really important to me since I live in LA and will hardly need to use AWD... For me, it's more about what's more efficient, and pricing (I mean $5k is still a big chunk of change).

I was only able to find the comparison with the 70D and the rest of the models. Tesla Model S - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acceleration isn't really too high on my list either (coming from a Prius :) What are other pros and cons on the 70 vs 70D? Thanks!

Live in LA area, as well (SF Valley).

Even in the dry, D handles better under acceleration. (Had a non-D P85 loaner and found it a little squirrelly getting onto the freeway.)

D is also wonderful in the snow up in local mountains or at Mammoth. Handles like a champ.

A significant portion of the extra $5K will be recovered at re-sale.

On the flip side, non-Ds have an awesomely-larger frunk!

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't worry about the MPGe difference. If you set yourself up to charge at home at DWP's best off-peak EV rate, you will spend very little on "gas." I drive quite a bit (close to 1500 miles/month) and average about $50/month on electricity.

The 70D should be just a little more efficient than the 70: officially 240 vs 230 miles of range.

I suspect that with D the motors may last longer, because each should experience less stress than a single motor would. But it will be years before we have data on that.

Agree with David J. One more DU to fail. And I hate the feel of the front wheels pulling on the steering wheel. But I'm outvoted on this forum - but make your decision based on what you like driving. I grew up driving RWD so I prefer it.

X3 on no D. Rear wheel drive cars are more fun and you don't need dual motors in LA.

Even in the dry, D handles better under acceleration. (Had a non-D P85 loaner and found it a little squirrelly getting onto the freeway.)

That's not handling; that's traction. Some people prefer the sportier dynamics of a rear wheel drive over an all wheel and one thing that's pretty commonly echoed about the dual motor cars (at least in reviews) is that they feel less sporty than the RWD cars. Even still, the Model S's traction control system keeps the car in check so that while you might get a little loose in the rear under hard acceleration, you're not in danger of losing control of the car.

Very few people NEED dual motors. But does it help on jumping into traffic on dry roads - sure. I love it. When it rains I really love it - I know you are in LA.

I wouldn't get it for efficiency. If you want efficiency, wait for the 3. The 3% or so difference is hard to feel. $20 a year at best. Hard to overcome the DU manufacturing footprint with that if you are thinking environmentally.

Traction is part of handling. Handling is not defined solely by lateral g acceleration - it is the entirety of how the car reacts when driving. Ah the forever AWD/RWD debate. Doesn't sound like that is the OP's concern anyway. I mean a Prius ....

That being said, my last car was a Civic hybrid ... and sometimes I wish I had a 85D for the acceleration. Just because you make the environmentally sensible choice, does not mean you don't like to move... and you justify it by impressing someone who might buy an EV and it goes on...

Think how many solar panels $5k would buy. Enough to power an S if your costs are low.

The D provides additional regeneration on the braking too. This will reduce your brake wear, increase your range slightly, as well as increase the resale value.

Looking at the trends (the 90 doesn't come in RWD) I suspect the RWD vehicles will be a thing of the past in the not so distant future - another reason to get the D for the additional $5k.

I lived in LA (90274) for a decade during which I had both a RWD and a 4WD Porsche. Thus I may have some slight perspective even though those are not equivalent to the Model S at all. I do have a P85D and have driven quite a lot in RWD Model S also, including both in LA. I agree that AWD is not really strictly necessary, and that there is a slight advantage in energy efficient from AWD. However, if you ever do travel to, say, Mammoth in the winter or anywhere else in the mountains the AWD will be very useful. A couple people have already mentioned resale value, which could be a factor as AWD rapidly is becoming the norm for Model S. If price is an issue I'd consider an 'inventory' D because they do have sometimes substantial discounts from new orders. At the moment it seems they have few options with more than 50 miles showing but there are constant changes. Check http://ev-cpo.com if you're curious. For that matter you might find the 70's interesting too, and they're cheaper than the 70D's of course.

When I ordered my new car I ended out buying an inventory car instead and saved quite a bit of money. It's always nice to reduce initial depreciation by a little bit. CPO is also possible but you'll not have incentives and tax advantages with CPO's.