Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the fastest model 3 charge rate other than Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We picked up our new Model 3 on Tuesday, woo-hoo! We drove straight from the store to the only Supercharger in town to familiarize ourselves with the process. Unfortunately their had been some sort of fire and the location is shut down indefinitely. Apparently it has been down for three months and there is no real info about when/if it will be restored.

We had purchased the wall charger, which is installed on a 60A breaker and set to the 48A output. The settings beyond 48A/11.5Kw do not appear to increase charge speed, if I am reading the manual that came with the wall charger correctly.

So, long question short, what is the fastest possible charge rate for a Model 3 besides the Supercharger?

TIA!

OP didn’t state which Model 3 they have. Only the LR battery supports 48 amp onboard charging. With a LR Model 3 you can charge 30 miles/hr using the included charger or 44 miles/hr using a Tesla Wall Connector and at least a 60 amp circuit. All other Model 3’s max out at 30 miles/hr for home charging regardless of which charger you are using.

Onboard Charger

OP didn’t state which Model 3 they have. Only the LR battery supports 48 amp onboard charging. With a LR Model 3 you can charge 30 miles/hr using the included charger or 44 miles/hr using a Tesla Wall Connector and at least a 60 amp circuit. All other Model 3’s max out at 30 miles/hr for home charging regardless of which charger you are using.

Onboard Charger

We have the standard range. So we are stuck at 7.7Kw. Is the wall charger benefiting us at all? Would we be getting the exact same result if we removed the wall charger and put in a 240V receptacle? If so I might as well return or sell the wall charger and try to get at least some of the money back.

Thanks

We have the standard range. So we are stuck at 7.7Kw. Is the wall charger benefiting us at all? Would we be getting the exact same result if we removed the wall charger and put in a 240V receptacle? If so I might as well return or sell the wall charger and try to get at least some of the money back.

Thanks

You will get the same 30 miles/hr on either the mobile connector or wall connector. You have to dig deep into the documentation to find out that the wall connector really only provides a speed benefit to the LR battery models.

The main benefit of the wall connector is that you can permanently mount it in your garage so that it’s always there for you and leave the mobile connector in your car so that it’s available for road trips. Other than that convenience there is no real benefit for the SR/MR models.

Many here will poopoo this point but by having a wall connector you keep your UMC as a backup, you own more than one charging solution.
You also spread the wear of plugging and unplugging across multiple plugs.
My S the UMC handle gets warm at 40amps even after cleaning (not Tesla endorsed action) but my new HCWC stays cool at 72amps. Car is higher mileage and the UMC to car plug is showing wear from years of heavy use. You aren't going to see Model 3 people post this because there aren't any out there with 5years 85k miles.

Yes a second UMC is a cheaper backup but if you bought the HCWC already just use it.

Someone here posted about hooking up at their work which has 480v 3 phase, the hooked up a HPWC to 277v and got a higher charge rate at 48 amps.

image-jpg.391614

Yep, 277 volts rocks. 13 kW is about the max it'll do before it starts backing the amps down, as shown in this picture.

Yep... 277 volts will get you 48, sometimes 49 mi/hr.

That's interesting! I installed the charger at our shop, where we have both 120/208Y and 277/480Y panels. I connected it to a 120/208 panel, two legs on a dual pole 60A breaker are delivering ~ 215VAC single phase power to the wall charger. The manual says it is to be hooked up to 208V - 250V single phase, so I did not think of connecting to to 277V.

Would you mind sending me a link to the thread where you read this? Has anyone had any bad results?

If 277V makes that much of a difference, individuals who only have single phase could install a couple of buck/boost transformers 'in front' of their wall charger and take their single phase 240VAC up to 277VAC. My only concern is damaging the charger, or worse, the batteries.

Thanks!