Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the height of the charging port on a Model S? Installing my Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently ordered my first Tesla (confirmed 5/13) and am getting our home ready charging. I'd like to mount the Wall Connector so the charger dock on it matches the height of the charging port of my future Model S. Ergonomics wise it would be nice to have both of these height to match. Yes, I'm trying to find ways to pass the time while waiting for my car to go into production :).

Estimating from photos online the center of a charging port on a Model S is roughly 33". Is that accurate?

I have a steep driveway so SAS will be set to Very High. Very High adds 1.3" so a charge dock height of 34.3"?

When I knew my S would be arriving in the next few weeks I went to the local Tesla store and measured an S in the showroom. Then based on those measurements I had the electrician put the outlet in my garage.

So imagine my surprise when the car arrived and, while the position of the outlet was ok, it could have been better.

Maybe the better idea would be wait until the car arrives to determine where you want the changing equipment mounted.

I would think ergonomically best would be whatever height you felt comfortable reaching for the cord, which for me would be higher than the charge port level. (And I'm only 5'3".)

We have a NEMA 14-50 installed in a weatherproof box outside on our shed. Because snow gets shoveled into a mountain there in the winter, we mounted it high so it would clear the snow after a nor'easter. It's been totally fine. You might be over thinking it. ;)

Reactions: DoubleE
Maybe the better idea would be wait until the car arrives to determine where you want the changing equipment mounted.
Yeah, it is probably prudent to wait. Our driveway is narrow (10'4") so there might be something else we discover.

Or, come to terms that a few inches won't matter in the long term, when all you're using the outlet for is to charge the car every night.
I was planning on plugging in the MS every night to extend battery life. Is that not necessary? Will charge at work (free).

I would think ergonomically best would be whatever height you felt comfortable reaching for the cord, which for me would be higher than the charge port level. (And I'm only 5'3".)

We have a NEMA 14-50 installed in a weatherproof box outside on our shed. Because snow gets shoveled into a mountain there in the winter, we mounted it high so it would clear the snow after a nor'easter. It's been totally fine. You might be over thinking it. ;)
Good to know. Hehe, yeah definitely overthinking it. This wait is excruciating!

We mounted our WC at ~48". It's very comfortable to dock and undock the handle. In our case we have the long 24ft cord, so are walking a ways before plugging into the car. With the longer cable it definitely benefits to have a higher mounting position so there is ample space to hang the cord.

Installed the Wall Charger over the weekend after take delivery of my MS. It was super helpful having the car in the driveway since I was able to find a better spot for the charger. Glad I waited on the installation! Thank you for the advice!

Reactions: Bimbels