Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what is the proper procedure for suggesting a supercharger location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
i know about tesla's form, but that seems more slanted towards actual business owners in that they want a point of contact for the actual location...is there a way for us as owners to suggest a spot where there's a gap in the network and would be a good place to install one?

my wife and i grew up in the middle of nowhere in eastern PA, and now live in southern california...we've thought about driving our model 3 home for a few weeks either over the summer or for christmas, but there's literally no charging options within 100 or so miles in any direction from where we'd be staying (aside from just charging at night). there are a few spots in the area with plenty of retail/food/lodging that i think would be great locations for superchargers and close to major routes, but i have no clue how to suggest them if i need to include a point of contact...

i know about tesla's form, but that seems more slanted towards actual business owners in that they want a point of contact for the actual location...is there a way for us as owners to suggest a spot where there's a gap in the network and would be a good place to install one?

my wife and i grew up in the middle of nowhere in eastern PA, and now live in southern california...we've thought about driving our model 3 home for a few weeks either over the summer or for christmas, but there's literally no charging options within 100 or so miles in any direction from where we'd be staying (aside from just charging at night). there are a few spots in the area with plenty of retail/food/lodging that i think would be great locations for superchargers and close to major routes, but i have no clue how to suggest them if i need to include a point of contact...
You can suggest it on Tesla’s website.
Charging Partners | Tesla

If you select this (photo) then the contact info is your name. Your basically just helping create a lead sheet for the supercharger project manager in the region.

Attachments

• 29EA3B03-BDB5-473E-A15D-BE5AF7D731D4.jpeg
    29EA3B03-BDB5-473E-A15D-BE5AF7D731D4.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 375
If you're not alerting them to a willing site host, then I don't think there's much value. Anyone can say there should be a charger at a certain mall property, and they've probably thought that themselves a bunch of times. But if your brother in law is the property manager and they are interested in getting Tesla chargers, now that's a different story...

Reactions: mociaf9 and Chuq
If you're not alerting them to a willing site host, then I don't think there's much value. Anyone can say there should be a charger at a certain mall property, and they've probably thought that themselves a bunch of times. But if your brother in law is the property manager and they are interested in getting Tesla chargers, now that's a different story...

i'm talking about superchargers, not destination chargers.

Reactions: goldengate
Superchargers even now in most areas are to allow A-B travel. To justify locating them at an "attraction" or destination there needs to be VOLUME, of travelers.

Is there a touristy area with a hotel that might be interested in destination chargers?

I would love to take my S deep into Michigan's Upper Peninsula, there are few public options far apart. Would be very challenging and it is a route to nowhere. I in no way would suggest Tesla put in a supercharger it just doesn't make sense, sure it would benefit me but let's be reasonable Tesla needs a supercharger installation to benefit thousands and open up routes, or support thousands of tourists at a location.

Superchargers even now in most areas are to allow A-B travel. To justify locating them at an "attraction" or destination there needs to be VOLUME, of travelers.

Is there a touristy area with a hotel that might be interested in destination chargers?

I would love to take my S deep into Michigan's Upper Peninsula, there are few public options far apart. Would be very challenging and it is a route to nowhere. I in no way would suggest Tesla put in a supercharger it just doesn't make sense, sure it would benefit me but let's be reasonable Tesla needs a supercharger installation to benefit thousands and open up routes, or support thousands of tourists at a location.

one of the spots I would be suggesting is the largest Cabela's in the US and roughly halfway between the Harrisburg and allentown superchargers on I-78, which is a major link into New York City. there's PLENTY of traffic through there all the time.

They have had Kayenta, AZ on the map for 3 years but have yet to put a supercharger there. There are no destination chargers in site except for Tuba City. That doesn't really help all the traffic from Phoenix to Telluride, CO making it necessary to spend the night there when an ICE car can make the trip via Kayenta in 8 hours. Now, having to go through Gallup, NM, it adds 1.5 hours to the already long trip. I've heard many others complain about this same lack of SuperCharging on the Navajo reservation. If they keep putting it on their map as being completed at the end of the year, why has it been on there for the past 3 years now and no construction permit?

Reactions: SnowFlyer
We drive our 2015 Model S85D to Grand Junction and then to Denver several times per year and not having a Kayenta Supercharger means I need to do 60 mph for 260 miles to make it to Blanding Utah, that is after waiting at the Flagstaff Supercharger for over an hour to get to 100% and keeping the A/C off. I have been waiting for three years for Kayenta. This is the most direct way to get from Phoenix to Western Colorado and would seem to be a logical place for Tesla to do an installation. I have looked but not found any way to contact Tesla to reiterate this request-does anyone have an email or link?

Reactions: SnowFlyer
We drive our 2015 Model S85D to Grand Junction and then to Denver several times per year and not having a Kayenta Supercharger means I need to do 60 mph for 260 miles to make it to Blanding Utah, that is after waiting at the Flagstaff Supercharger for over an hour to get to 100% and keeping the A/C off. I have been waiting for three years for Kayenta. This is the most direct way to get from Phoenix to Western Colorado and would seem to be a logical place for Tesla to do an installation. I have looked but not found any way to contact Tesla to reiterate this request-does anyone have an email or link?
See the second post in this thread. It has the link to Tesla's form for suggesting supercharger locations.

I have the same question regarding "suggestions of superchargers" anyone has a source for suggesting Supercharger locations? please let us know. I travel between Riverside to Monterey CA to visit family, I take the 5fwy north to the 46 east to Paso Robles then north on the 101fwy. We need a Supercharger location in the middle of 46hwy so I don't arrive in Monterey with 5% battery.

You can suggest it on Tesla’s website.
Charging Partners | Tesla
As of today the form still asks if you are interested in hosting a Supercharger or Wall connector, you have to pick one in order to submit a suggestion. I picked SC but noted in the short comments I was not interested in hosting. I also designated myself as a Tesla owner in one of the blanks. You are limited to 200 characters but it doesn’t tell you that till you try to Submit. I was just trying to let Tesla know of an ideal area/street in my city with hotels, restaurants and two interstate freeways very close by. Hope they look into it, this area’s SC stations (4) are saturated.

It can also be helpful if, in addition to asking Tesla, you do a little greasing the skids where you want the Supercharger. Most rural counties and cities have economic development officer who try to help their regions. One can often find their contact info online. An email or phone call telling them how getting a Supercharger in their area could help them never hurts. I've had a couple follow up with emails when they actually did get Tesla to install a Supercharger. You can tell them how to contact Tesla. A little pull from the local government hints at an easier sell job for Tesla. Knowing the area as you might, maybe you know of an all-night location with good restrooms and traveler facilities that could benefit. Contacting their owner or general manager can also bias your luck, especially if you can sweet talk them into sending Tesla a request too.
Granted, I did this early in the Supercharger rollout so I had the luxury of picking some very low hanging fruit but some have helped many of us since.

Reactions: Prairie and mociaf9