Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the re-sale value of plaids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol idk man 23k savings is insane! How bad could it be to go for a car with 2-5k miles on it. What could the old owner have done in such a short amount of time?
Lotta farts in them seats. 😅

Well, reduced warranty duration is a big one. I don't intend on owning my Plaid out of warranty. Although, maybe by then I will have gotten Tesla to fix all the issues with the car....

• Funny
Reactions: Propofoln
The $109k is the price of the car without FSD. Add in the $15K for FSD and you are looking at $124k new. So the difference is much greater than it would seem. Or subtract $15k from his Plaid trade-in estimate, and it gives you almost the value of my MS LR.

That infers one of two likely possibilities. FSD isn't worth Jack so even Tesla won't give you much on trade-in OR Tesla has screwed everybody on how much they upcharge for the Plaid over the LR and shows how similar they really are beyond the 3rd motor. Which goes back to a post I made a long time ago that I felt there should have been more to differentiate the Plaid from the LR.

Either of my two likely scenarios isn't a good look for Tesla. Either way, they are screwing the customer. It makes me even more thankful I didn't jump on the Plaid bandwagon. My wife would have killed me with depreciation numbers like these.

The $109k is the price of the car without FSD. Add in the $15K for FSD and you are looking at $124k new. So the difference is much greater than it would seem. Or subtract $15k from his Plaid trade-in estimate, and it gives you almost the value of my MS LR.

That infers one of two likely possibilities. FSD isn't worth Jack so even Tesla won't give you much on trade-in OR Tesla has screwed everybody on how much they upcharge for the Plaid over the LR and shows how similar they really are beyond the 3rd motor. Which goes back to a post I made a long time ago that I felt there should have been more to differentiate the Plaid from the LR.

Either of my two likely scenarios isn't a good look for Tesla. Either way, they are screwing the customer. It makes me even more thankful I didn't jump on the Plaid bandwagon. My wife would have killed me with depreciation numbers like these.
You're better than me I would've told my wife the plaid actually appreciated and she shouldn't worry her pretty little head

• Funny
Reactions: Korchva and TLLMRRJ
Does anyone know of any recent sales examples that were particularly low? I am appealing my property tax value on my Plaid because they valued it at $105k. I think it's valued below $86k. Yes, we have to pay an approximately 1% yearly tax on the value of our cars. But, we only pay 3% sales tax at purchase. Works out about the same.

here are some recent manheim numbers for 2022 msp... those are wholesale numbers so add about $500 for auction fees and then add about 10-15% markup for retail. headers didnt copy so 3rd column is mileage 4th column is condition (0-5)- anything over 4.0 is essentially spotless from consumer's point of view.

edit: 5th column is irrelevant - "engine type/ tranny" - in this case electric/ automatic transmission... condition 2 is pretty much beat up badly - most likely a factory demo that has seen 1970 miles in drag launches 1/4 mile at a time. prolly needed new tires and brakes hence the low condition, but relatively high price. very low mileage also plays a role for the higher price.... if the 2.1 was due to dings/ scratches/ scuffs/ interior crap it would be a 75k car. i have seen a few of those roll by- mostly coming from the car hell of the usa - the new york city- new jersey area. never ever buy a car that hails from that region.

3/23/23$87,5001,9722.1EL/AWhiteLeaseWest CoastPhoenix
3/23/23$89,2504,5655.0EL/AWhiteRegularSouthwestTexas Hobby
3/22/23$88,0008,3754.8EL/AWhiteRegularWest CoastCalifornia
3/22/23$91,5007,0004.8EL/AWhiteRegularSouthwestDallas
3/17/23$95,5002,6984.7EL/ARedRegularNortheastPennsylvania
3/15/23$93,5004,3134.5EL/AGrayRegularWest CoastCalifornia
3/11/23$92,0004,1904.7NON/ARedRegularWest CoastNevada
3/7/23$94,0003,4854.6EL/AGrayLeaseSoutheastOrlando

Last edited:
I expect all the other automakers are having the same huge depreciation or will soon. With dealers having markups above MSRP of $5-$30K depending on the car, once supply chain and production issues are fixed, prices return to below MSRP like they used to be.

The used car market has been crazy in the last year and has mostly returned to normal. I'd expect used prices to drop even more as more new cars become available. Those new car sales cause more used cars to appear, further reducing used prices for all vehicles.

Tesla may be a few months ahead of others, as they were the first to drop prices as parts and materials they bought return back to normal prices and they pass those savings back to the consumer.

Also to note, FSD is a cash cow for Tesla and a horrible investment for owners since only a fraction of the cost is recouped when selling. Two primary issues are at play: 1)Not all private party buyers value FSD and 2)Tesla removes FSD when it reacquires the vehicle and charges the new owner for it.

Tesla really needs to re-price (continue pricing) the Model S/X, there's just way to much of a gap between them and the 3/Y series. Elon did state that the MS was paying for the production of the M3 in the earlier years however this period has well passed and the M3 is certainly self-sustaining. There's still significant margin for the MS to be profitable and resale really can sway/influence how people decide on the car at purchase .

Also to note, FSD is a cash cow for Tesla and a horrible investment for owners since only a fraction of the cost is recouped when selling. Two primary issues are at play: 1)Not all private party buyers value FSD and 2)Tesla removes FSD when it reacquires the vehicle and charges the new owner for it.
Seems like Tesla may actually add FSD to a number of their used cars, or they at least don't remove it. When shopping for an Model S on ev-cpo.com, it shows 53 of the 71 cars Tesla has for sale have FSD.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Seems like Tesla may actually add FSD to a number of their used cars, or they at least don't remove it. When shopping for an Model S on ev-cpo.com, it shows 53 of the 71 cars Tesla has for sale have FSD.
That was my observation too. I looked at evcpo and found an average $8000 price difference between FSD and AP on the Model S. So, I used that to justify buying it at $10k. I figured I wouldn't lose that much and I would get to use it for a few years.

I agree it is almost worthless on the 3/Y. The resale difference on those cars is only a few thousand.

Turns out the high monthly cost to lease wasn’t really that high!
Leasing the Plaid may have been the way to go.
Yeah, exactly. I did the buy vs lease calculation and it looks like I got it wrong too. I should have leased. I had an incredible lease deal on my P90D at $700 / month for two years. That worked out amazing. The car was only worth 50% of the MSRP when my lease ended. I also got it right when buying my Model 3 performance, selling it for $3k less than I paid after 3 years.

Oh well, win some, lose some.

I guess that one of the issues is you would be trading in a newer car for a brand new one. The Dealer/manufacture has to price it to where it would not be competing with brand new cars. They don't want to be stuck with a used car that is only a couple of thousand less than a new one. Car values are coming down. Dealers paid too much at auction and paid too much for trades for used vehicles just to have inventory during the past few years.

People will pay a pile of money for that extra 0-60 / 0-100 speed. People that pay a pile of money for that have enough in their pocket that they buy new.

As for what could someone do in 3-5K miles? Treat it like a rental.
Sure the thing is this car and sports cars are to be driven as such. I wouldn't look too deep into a 2nd hand used vehicle especially a Tesla with that little bit of mileage... For the bargain it doesn't make sense to buy brand new. Again what could they do in the 3-5k miles that you're not about to already do for the next 50k miles lol. On top of that it has a warranty for the next 50k miles and the battery 8 years. I wouldn't worry

Sure the thing is this car and sports cars are to be driven as such. I wouldn't look too deep into a 2nd hand used vehicle especially a Tesla with that little bit of mileage... For the bargain it doesn't make sense to buy brand new. Again what could they do in the 3-5k miles that you're not about to already do for the next 50k miles lol. On top of that it has a warranty for the next 50k miles and the battery 8 years. I wouldn't worry
True. I leased a demo P90D with 5k miles on it. No issues at all. You can imagine they launched that car approximately once per every few miles. 😅

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
I think the Model S is priced more like an Iphone than a car. Let's take a look at current prices and compare apples to apples. What we get as the public is not what dealers will charge, so let's compare what we can buy these for:
New Model S Plaid, base at $110k.
a 2022 with low miles sells at $95 - $102k
a 2021 with average miles sells for right around $90k
a 2020 seems to be in the $60k range regardless of trim.

At a glance, this looks like a car that holds its value like a rock!! However... there are two factors that really dictate this price... just like an Iphone.
#1 What the manufacturer charges changes. Since Tesla dropped the price for a new one, the used prices fell.
#2 When new tech comes out, prices will TANK.

Food for thought, for a high-end car... I hesitate to call it a luxury car... more like a high-tech high-performance car I would say the value holds fairly well... until the new model comes out.