Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the re-sale value of plaids?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the Model S is priced more like an Iphone than a car. Let's take a look at current prices and compare apples to apples. What we get as the public is not what dealers will charge, so let's compare what we can buy these for:
EVs at this point definitely have a development curve at the point the more closely matches electronics. Both the software & the drivetrain.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
I mean, Tesla has stated the focus has been mostly on cutting costs. If you look at the macro market, this seems to be their strategy to combat competition. Not innovation, not design... price cuts. Still with massive margin on each vehicle sold, there's plenty of prices to cut when competition comes close.

I would imagine once BMW and MB scale their flagship EVs, prices will come down even more. It'll be a race to the bottom, unfortunately.

Lower trade-ins from Telsa must mean more price cuts on S/X coming up? I'm bet they dropped trade ins a month before the last price cuts.

Probably right. I just have to treat my new $100K car like it only has a resale value of $1000 as of right now so I don't get that same punch to the gut feeling I get every time it drops suddenly by another $10K.

With the exception of the steering wheel buttons, it sure feels like a whole lot of improvements in the refresh model s over my 2017 version. Car was in service today (fobs don’t like water apparently) and checked out all the new models for the first time in years.

I didn’t expect that with all the talk here about cost reduction focus.

With the exception of the steering wheel buttons, it sure feels like a whole lot of improvements in the refresh model s over my 2017 version. Car was in service today (fobs don’t like water apparently) and checked out all the new models for the first time in years.

Yes, lots of improvements, but there was a rocky start with lots of bugs to be worked out initially. It's getting better, though.

I also have a MS 2017 and had it in for service yesterday to get the CCS upgrade. I checked out the new Model X plaid in the showroom and wow, that was nice. I like the new materials and especially the cooled white seats. Blowing cool air is much better than my sucking air into seats like what I have with my ventilated seats.

I don’t care that my MS 2017 90D that I paid 105k for back in 2016 is worth a lot less. Because now I can get a much nicer car in PLAID for about the same that I paid. (But I plan on keeping mine for a long time yet.)

I even think the blinkers are fine. Better than the last time I tried them. They did have the X on display with the steering wheel, not yoke.

Yes, lots of improvements, but there was a rocky start with lots of bugs to be worked out initially. It's getting better, though.
Sounds typical, unfortunately. I was in software integration for a long time, so I feel for them.
I also have a MS 2017 and had it in for service yesterday to get the CCS upgrade. I checked out the new Model X plaid in the showroom and wow, that was nice. I like the new materials and especially the cooled white seats. Blowing cool air is much better than my sucking air into seats like what I have with my ventilated seats.

I don’t care that my MS 2017 90D that I paid 105k for back in 2016 is worth a lot less. Because now I can get a much nicer car in PLAID for about the same that I paid. (But I plan on keeping mine for a long time yet.)

I even think the blinkers are fine. Better than the last time I tried them. They did have the X on display with the steering wheel, not yoke.
Our showroom had an X with yoke and S with wheel. Definitely prefer the wheel.

I'm planning on keeping the 2017 S until battery warranty and then deciding, but if I go do a test drive it may happen faster.

Plaid had too much insurance premium for me, but sure tempting.

Biggest surprise... no rear seat heater controls on the back display? Or did I miss it.

Last edited:
Last time I check buying a car was ne
Sounds typical, unfortunately. I was in software integration for a long time, so I feel for them.

I'm planning on keeping the 2017 S until battery warranty and then deciding, but if I go do a test drive it may happen faster.

Biggest surprise... no rear seat heater controls on the back display? Or did I miss it.
You missed it!

Reactions: brkaus and SO16

I still enjoy my pano roof, free supercharging and silver. I have the CT reserved and plan on keeping my S along with it.

It seems like the batteries from this generation are holding up okay. A little early to judge though.

I recently did an appraisal on my Model S plaid that I bought last year for $170,000 total after taxes and fees (FSD too), and it came back to $88,000...

WHAT!

I did trade-in estimate with Tesla and it only gets worse, at a $76,000 value, what is going on?
it s all about supply and demand - tesla is no longer the only player in the ev market, plus elon went on a war path to destroy o ev players by lowering prices ( and to capture ev tax rebates),

on top of that you bought the most exotic model of tesla - an equivalent of a corvette convertible,

plus most ppl incl dealers don t know how to properly price tesla options, software hardware etc.

the only thing left to do is enjoy :)

Reactions: Propofoln
I got sick of waiting for my Roadster and just bought a 7 month old refresh Plaid fully loaded, Xpel Steath wrap since new, FSD, 21" wheels etc, 9K miles for $89K. With Tesla holding at least 225 Plaids in inventory I bet we get another price drop soon.

That's an incredible amount of car for the money!

Any issues, like the front drive unit vibrations? Always odd when someone would take such an incredible bath on resale in such a short time, especially when the seller made additional expensive investments in the car, like full PPF, that are a sign of intending to own the car for a long time.

I recently did an appraisal on my Model S plaid that I bought last year for $170,000 total after taxes and fees (FSD too), and it came back to $88,000...

WHAT!

I did trade-in estimate with Tesla and it only gets worse, at a $76,000 value, what is going on?
“The Charlatan” has your (and my) money. Feeling fleeced. Similar appraisal values and massive depreciation.