Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the state of play in Oz with V2G?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Tesla brains trust,

I’ve read about 2025 as a year where more EVs will be using V2G than just the Leaf etc.

I can’t see anywhere whether or not this is legally mandated, expected or just a pipe dream.

Can anyone help lay out exactly what the state of play is for this facility in a regulatory framework in Australia, and whether there are overseas jurisdictions that will mandate V2G that will force vehicles to have this capability?

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Hairyman
For CCS cars (pretty much everything in Australia) your looking at ISO 15118-20 which has just been approved, which defines the communications for V2G.

But then there is still some local regulatory stuff, including islanding protection and metering (eg. You don't want your car feeding back into the grid when the local power is out and someone is working on the wires).
Afaik the CHAdeMO V2G units still haven't been approved locally.

• Informative
For CCS cars (pretty much everything in Australia) your looking at ISO 15118-20 which has just been approved, which defines the communications for V2G.

But then there is still some local regulatory stuff, including islanding protection and metering (eg. You don't want your car feeding back into the grid when the local power is out and someone is working on the wires).
Afaik the CHAdeMO V2G units still haven't been approved locally.
Thanks. Interesting regarding the standard approval. Good info.

That's my understanding for the CHAdeMO unit.
I believe partially because it pulls DC from the car and thus has an inverter onboard to convert to AC

(Of course it still seems expensive compared to solar inverters).

Makes sense

And i guess like solar it will reduce in price in time as it becomes more widespread

At $10k it isnt a real cost effective equation

Agreed. It's about the same price as an (admittedly smaller) battery, but at least it won't drive away.

I don't know enough about the CCS standard to know whether its also DC only.
Or whether there might be away to use AC (like the V2L features of some vehicles) to pull AC directly - which would seemingly be a cheaper solution.

I don't know enough about the CCS standard to know whether its also DC only.
Or whether there might be away to use AC (like the V2L features of some vehicles) to pull AC directly - which would seemingly be a cheaper solution.

My understanding ISO15118-20 with Bidirectional Power Transfer (BPT) supports both DC & AC (Subject to Vehicle Hardware of course). For AC_BPT there are GeneratorMode configuration parameters such as Single Phase/Three Phase, Grid Following (V2G)/Grid Forming (V2L, V2H) etc.

A mate made me aware of this today and I'd be keen to hear what the brains trust thinks about it. Does it appear sound or marketing announcement missing substance?
I'd ignore the V2G parts entirely - Tesla's don't do V2G at the moment, and there's no indication that this will change in the short or medium term; and V2G currently requires an external inverter which are expensive, not available in this country yet and count towards your total DC inverter limit imposed by your DNSP.

The other part sounds like they take wholesale rates and try to automatically charge your car when rates are low but still have the car available when you need it. It's pretty light on for important details - like who bears the risk here? Are they quoting you a (hopefully cheaper-than-off-peak!) flat rate, then taking the risk themselves?

Latest Arena newsletter also contains some relevant reports from various trials

• Informative