Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this antenna/sensor doing on this Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's probably a magnetic mount with the wire passing into the car via a left hand window.

That is what puzzles me the most. I drove behind the car for a good 30 minutes and I even moved closer to the divider a couple of times to see the setup a bit better. I was 100% expecting to see cables going through the rear window. Nope. Whatever it is, it was cleanly attached to the roof, no cables around.

Why can a hole not be drilled in the Model X/S/3 roof to enable wiring?
Hams go to great length to enable the best reception / transmission ... I used to drill into my cars back when I was active.
You 100% sure this item was glass or roof mounted?

Here’s an example of a ham antenna from back when. Installing A Glass Mount Ham Antenna

No idea if that’s what we have here but seems like a similar idea from what we can see from the pics. RF through the glass is quite doable as long as you have a way to adjust the transmitter VSWR (from a ham back in the day, haven’t used it in decades lol). Commercial non-ham transmitter equipment may not like it since you can’t adjust things. Receivers should be fine as it’s just a weaker antenna.

• Informative
Reactions: alexGS and Vinc
I was thinking of that... but who would know or care today? :D
giphy.gif

Here’s an example of a ham antenna from back when. Installing A Glass Mount Ham Antenna

No idea if that’s what we have here but seems like a similar idea from what we can see from the pics. RF through the glass is quite doable as long as you have a way to adjust the transmitter VSWR (from a ham back in the day, haven’t used it in decades lol). Commercial non-ham transmitter equipment may not like it since you can’t adjust things. Receivers should be fine as it’s just a weaker antenna.

This might be the most possible scenario!

Reactions: boaterva