Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update on this - after a week, the noise has returned but is now louder at lower speeds. It's not as persistent as it was with the previous front drive unit, but I'm now convinced there is a larger problem here in these models. I have no desire to have it back in the shop again for this same issue, so hopefully they decide to do the right thing and buy this thing back.

Hope others have better luck than I have so far!
Thanks for the follow up, I'll be curious to hear how/if the noise changes over time with the new drive unit.

Merry Christmas from one 10 kHz cricket hiss Model Y owner to another.

Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 1.57.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 1.55.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 1.54.02 PM.png

So glad I found this community. I have been experiencing this issue on my Model 3 (I know this thread is under the Model Y community, but couldn’t find much documenting this exact issue on the model 3).

My car is a September 2022 build Model 3 Long Range which I picked up in late September. We had an unseasonably warm fall and i had a blissful 4-6 weeks without experiencing this high-pitched pulsing whining/hissing sound. Since the temperatures started dropping below freezing here in Minnesota however this has been a frequent annoyance. Didn’t consider that it could be temperature related until reviewing the experiences of others in this thread.

I took my car in for a service appointment on December 9th and the SC stated they were able to replicate the issue and that it was due to an improper penthouse seal on the battery. After having my car for a week I was excited to get back to driving and enjoying my Model 3. Picked it up on December 15th and was extremely disappointed to hear that the noise was still there.

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 8.22.50 PM.png

In the week after picking up the car I started to document what I was hearing and took this video. Curious for others to see if this matches what they are hearing. There being a whine by itself would be annoying, but the constant pulsing really drives me crazy…

On the 20th I took the car back in for service and was asked to drive with a technician. He told me he could not hear the issue and that the noises the car was making were normal. To be fair, I did feel the noise was being quieter than normal during the technician drive (murphy’s law at work…) but even in the video I showed him he just said “there are a lot of sounds there but I don’t hear anything weird”. Basically told to leave and return if it gets louder. Very frustrating as to me this sound is definitely NOT normal.

I have another appointment scheduled for the 28th at a different service center. Hoping to get someone who is willing to help; whether the answer is grounding strap tightening, front drive unit replacement, or something else. I’ll keep everyone updated on my experience.

Reactions: Ts91 and Benito1283
Quick update on this - after a week, the noise has returned but is now louder at lower speeds. It's not as persistent as it was with the previous front drive unit, but I'm now convinced there is a larger problem here in these models. I have no desire to have it back in the shop again for this same issue, so hopefully they decide to do the right thing and buy this thing back.

Hope others have better luck than I have so far!
Yeah pretty much exactly my experience with the replacement drive unit--it now makes the noise at lower speeds, 25-55 mph vs around 40+ mph previously. Also no change over time, I noticed the noise day 1 of the replacement and have put ~1200 miles on it since, no change.

Reactions: ziptbm
So glad I found this community. I have been experiencing this issue on my Model 3 (I know this thread is under the Model Y community, but couldn’t find much documenting this exact issue on the model 3).

My car is a September 2022 build Model 3 Long Range which I picked up in late September. We had an unseasonably warm fall and i had a blissful 4-6 weeks without experiencing this high-pitched pulsing whining/hissing sound. Since the temperatures started dropping below freezing here in Minnesota however this has been a frequent annoyance. Didn’t consider that it could be temperature related until reviewing the experiences of others in this thread.

I took my car in for a service appointment on December 9th and the SC stated they were able to replicate the issue and that it was due to an improper penthouse seal on the battery. After having my car for a week I was excited to get back to driving and enjoying my Model 3. Picked it up on December 15th and was extremely disappointed to hear that the noise was still there.

View attachment 889079

In the week after picking up the car I started to document what I was hearing and took this video. Curious for others to see if this matches what they are hearing. There being a whine by itself would be annoying, but the constant pulsing really drives me crazy…

On the 20th I took the car back in for service and was asked to drive with a technician. He told me he could not hear the issue and that the noises the car was making were normal. To be fair, I did feel the noise was being quieter than normal during the technician drive (murphy’s law at work…) but even in the video I showed him he just said “there are a lot of sounds there but I don’t hear anything weird”. Basically told to leave and return if it gets louder. Very frustrating as to me this sound is definitely NOT normal.

I have another appointment scheduled for the 28th at a different service center. Hoping to get someone who is willing to help; whether the answer is grounding strap tightening, front drive unit replacement, or something else. I’ll keep everyone updated on my experience.
That's definitely the same noise. And your experience with the SC seems to be an echo of most people here.

What we really need is that Tesla service article number that RafidTM3 was talking about in his post a page ago. It sounds like that article explicitly calls out this issue and has diagnosis for it. Maybe even mentioning that there is an article could get these SC to understand there's a Tesla approved process for this issue.

At the SC now. Good news is that this tech said he can hear the noise and says that while it’s a similar pitch to wind noise, the pulsing makes that seem unlikely. They’re taking the car out with 2x techs now to try to better diagnose. Fingers crossed…

After waiting an hour for the issue to be diagnosed they're saying that 3x techs all observed the problem and they've validated the issue is coming from the front of the car as expected. The words "drive unit replacement" were used as they walked me through next steps, but said they wanted to rule out a few other things first and will need the car for a few days. Hoping they follow through with the replacement and that the new unit isn't a dud 🤞

Amazing !
On my side, after my 4th visit, SC called me back to have the car one more day. I will leave the car the day before to make sure it’s cold and the noise clearly audible in the morning (6 Jan 23).
Bummer to hear that it's taking that many service visits. Good idea on leaving the car to cold soak; I think that's why it wasn't replicable for me when I went in last week.

Got an update that the front drive unit needs to be shipped in to the SC so they won't be able to do the repair until next week or the week after. May be a few weeks before I can confirm whether this fully fixes the issue.

North York SC. I am really frustrated tbh. Being told that if I "keep coming back" for the same issue, I will be charged a fine -- that's not great customer service. Tech implied that I might be hearing noises because I "may be driving recklessly", which makes no sense at all. It is frustrating
I went to North York as well for my August '22 Model 3 LR.

They said it's front motor drive unit and they regularly hear rear motor but not front. They put a special audio device in and recorded it to send to Tesla Engineering--but the SC said it's within spec.

Annoyingly, the first 20min drive with the tech was the first time I didn't hear the sound, because the car warmed up over the 45min drive there. I waited about an hour and it was heard the next time albeit not as intense as usual. Four hours later he drove it himself to record--but with the AC on (I could tell from my analytics app), which I said not to do.

He said they recorded it because the sound occurred not just when accelerating but when cruising etc.

Anyone in Ontario had success? For a nearly $100K CDN car this should not be happening.

The report was written by another tech (not the one who drove the car with me and could hear the noise), indicating that there no abnormal sound and there was a small gap in afront cowl that was fixed. However, once I drove the car it was the same exact sound. I booked another appointment early Dec BUT at another SC (it is a bit farther than the previous one) and the tech who went with me for the test drive listened very well and he said it is not that high but I am interested to investigate it. I shared with him the link to this thread and I made him listen to recording that I made and some of the ones that you guys have posted. He went in the service centre while I am sitting in the waiting area, after almost an hour he came back and he showed me an article that they had it internally for internal instructions. It describes exactly what we have with an example of an audio sounding exactly the same problem. The directions the techs are given, is to do recording of the sound with a specific device that they have to order from another service location. Then decipher and filter the sound quality, if it is confirmed to be originating from the front drive unit then they have to escalate. I really liked the professional attitude of the technician and his willing to help. Now I am waiting for their recording device to arrive and set an appointment late January or early February because I want the weather to be really cold (when the sound is loud and clear). I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks!
So glad to hear that you have a SC with techs willing to work with you!

Would you be able to provide any kind of reference # for the internal article you were shown so that we can point our SCs in the right direction? :)

So glad to hear that you have a SC with techs willing to work with you!

Would you be able to provide any kind of reference # for the internal article you were shown so that we can point our SCs in the right direction? :)
I will try to get some information in my next visit. Or at least something to do with the name or title of the internal article. However, I see now that some drivers in this group are going through the same process of noise recording and analysis based on the same concept or reference. What we need to do is to find a way to convince them to repair or change the faulty part.

The report was written by another tech (not the one who drove the car with me and could hear the noise), indicating that there no abnormal sound and there was a small gap in afront cowl that was fixed. However, once I drove the car it was the same exact sound. I booked another appointment early Dec BUT at another SC (it is a bit farther than the previous one) and the tech who went with me for the test drive listened very well and he said it is not that high but I am interested to investigate it. I shared with him the link to this thread and I made him listen to recording that I made and some of the ones that you guys have posted. He went in the service centre while I am sitting in the waiting area, after almost an hour he came back and he showed me an article that they had it internally for internal instructions. It describes exactly what we have with an example of an audio sounding exactly the same problem. The directions the techs are given, is to do recording of the sound with a specific device that they have to order from another service location. Then decipher and filter the sound quality, if it is confirmed to be originating from the front drive unit then they have to escalate. I really liked the professional attitude of the technician and his willing to help. Now I am waiting for their recording device to arrive and set an appointment late January or early February because I want the weather to be really cold (when the sound is loud and clear). I will keep you posted on the progress. Thanks!
Would you please ask the SC for this article number and share? This would help massively in getting this issue addressed! Thank you

Hi all,

Also joined the cricket club... M3 LR Oct-22 2021, MiC. (Is this the "oldest" one on the list now? Or also earlier production dates already?)
Issue was confirmed by Mobile Service as being a-typical, but he hadn't heard it before. Currently waiting for a Service Appointment Jan-31 to further diagnose.

Really glad to have found this thread! At least I'm not crazy :)

A thought on the issue:
Has anyone already considered that the improvement/change in symptoms that were observed after drive unit replacements actually weren't caused by the new drive unit, but rather by the replacement action itself? I can imagine a drive unit replacement involves all kind of re-calibrations and re-connections (e.g. of hydraulic lines) which could also affect the issue.
I myself always thought the issue possibly sounds a bit hydraulic, like the sound you can get when pushing a (hydraulic) power steering unit into it's end-stops. Could it be caused by a pinched hose, which is un-pinched due to reseating during a drive unit replacement?
Just thinking :) Any thoughts are welcome!

How many have gotten past the sound device? They recorded mine, said it was the front drive unit, but said it was within spec so they couldn't change anything. Their escalation involved forwarding the recording to Tesla engineering to have on hand, but they said this was not for my car specifically but in general. The escalation wasn't an actual fix to my car, just an internal protocol.

Has anyone already considered that the improvement/change in symptoms that were observed after drive unit replacements actually weren't caused by the new drive unit, but rather by the replacement action itself?
This is a really interesting theory and actually makes a lot of sense. Would potentially explain why the first replacement hasn’t solved the issue for the few of us.

Reactions: Dadaaaaaaa