Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took this into the North York SC a second time. It was very loud in the first test drive. This time they kept the car for a WEEK and did multiple 20-30min drives on the highway with it. My app showed 4+ drives, I believe. This was with the car sitting out in the cold overnight in the parking lot. This is the end result: "within spec".

Attachments

• EB751E3F-1C08-4F5A-9941-D611613C0EBA.png
    EB751E3F-1C08-4F5A-9941-D611613C0EBA.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 170
ive found my people. add another one to the list (me). I thought it sounded like a dentist drill, or machine lathe cutting metal. But I can see how "cricket noise" works too!
I have my first SA this friday. Any pointers on what to make sure to tell them? I've taken video of the noises when driving, also will be showing them this thread.
Also, i actually have a video of it happening WHILE THE CAR ISN'T MOVING -- just sitting in my garage making the noise.
Would also like to see that video of it making the noise when not moving. The service center says our noise is from a bad bearing, but if you car isn't moving, either the SC is wrong or you have a different noise source.

I took this into the North York SC a second time. It was very loud in the first test drive. This time they kept the car for a WEEK and did multiple 20-30min drives on the highway with it. My app showed 4+ drives, I believe. This was with the car sitting out in the cold overnight in the parking lot. This is the end result: "within spec".
don't accept this as a answer. This is not in the manual under "Normal Operating Sounds", and you can definitely exercise your states lemon laws if you meet the mileage criteria.

to those who wanted to hear my sound when it was parked in my garage:
this is it -- i pointed the camera right where i was hearing the sound coming from:

mind you, i realize it doesn't sound the same at first but as you are listening to it, imagine what it would sound like IN the car while driving vs not. Also, if having the vehicle in motion exacerbates whatever is causing this issue, then the two sounds can seem very related.
that being said, I will be showing both sounds to my technicians tomorrow. However, the stationary sound is one I cannot replicate, while the "cricket/metal lathe" sound is one I can.

Here is the sound we all know near and dear -- i get it around 30ish, then around 50ish it really kicks in:

also what sucks is that, the noise is so high pitched that it sounds very apparent on my iphone (I believe because the small speakers on mobile phones excel at playing back treble/high frequency ranged sounds.) but on my computer with bigger speakers i can't hear it as well -- so i have to turn it up high. Anywho, its VERY apparent while driving and is annoying.

Reactions: rolling green
this is it -- i pointed the camera right where i was hearing the sound coming from:

mind you, i realize it doesn't sound the same at first but as you are listening to it, imagine what it would sound like IN the car while driving vs not. Also, if having the vehicle in motion exacerbates whatever is causing this issue, then the two sounds can seem very related.
that being said, I will be showing both sounds to my technicians tomorrow. However, the stationary sound is one I cannot replicate, while the "cricket/metal lathe" sound is one I can.

Here is the sound we all know near and dear -- i get it around 30ish, then around 50ish it really kicks in:

also what sucks is that, the noise is so high pitched that it sounds very apparent on my iphone (I believe because the small speakers on mobile phones excel at playing back treble/high frequency ranged sounds.) but on my computer with bigger speakers i can't hear it as well -- so i have to turn it up high. Anywho, its VERY apparent while driving and is annoying.
Interesting...Thanks for posting the videos. I think your parked noise may be a different source because it seems to be centered around 7 kHz and is rather broad from 5 - 8 kHz. It seems unlikely that the same noise would be filtered/changed enough to end up in the cabin at 10 kHz while driving, but I've been wrong before. There is something going on around 10 kHz in the parked video, who knows.. Here's the spectrogram showing the chirping noise while parked:
Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 3.59.01 PM.png

Whereas your in-motion video shows the familiar tight band (though faint) right around 10 kHz:
Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 3.59.39 PM.png

Guys,
I recorded again the sound yesterday on the highway (in a low speed area - 75 kmh - 46 mph / External temperature 12°C - 53°F)
The combination of speed and low temp makes it loud and clear...

I had Audacity open for another post so I stuck your recording in to make a spectrograph. Your 10 kHz band is STRONG! Your front drive unit seize up yet or still going strong?
Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 4.15.55 PM.png

Yep, same sound mine makes when parked. I don't think the two are related, I hopped in my car today when it was making this noise and I couldn't hear it with the doors and windows closed.

welp at the Atlanta SC. And my biggest fear came true. It seemed like the 2 hour drive to get here "warmed up" or "lubricated" whatever is causing this issue, and I can't recreate it for the tecnhnician. I showed him videos of it making noises, told him about this thread and everything -- but he said they need to hear it for themselves to know where its coming from.

Good thing is though, he said to go get lunch, come back in two hours. Maybe your car will cool down and you can come back later to recreate the sound, so I went to a nearby starbucks to hunker down for a few.

Reactions: vet757 and Ts91
welp at the Atlanta SC. And my biggest fear came true. It seemed like the 2 hour drive to get here "warmed up" or "lubricated" whatever is causing this issue, and I can't recreate it for the tecnhnician. I showed him videos of it making noises, told him about this thread and everything -- but he said they need to hear it for themselves to know where its coming from.

Good thing is though, he said to go get lunch, come back in two hours. Maybe your car will cool down and you can come back later to recreate the sound, so I went to a nearby starbucks to hunker down for a few.

Phew. 2.5 hours later, I was able to get the sound reproduced on deceleration. For some reason accelerating wouldn’t produce the sound as it typically does.

I have joined the club. Picked up my ‘23 Model Y Austin build about two weeks ago and immediately heard the sound on the way home. Made an appointment, rode with the tech, and he ended up telling me it’s a normal sound (something to do with the coils or something like that. Seemed like a bs answer). Reading through the posts, it seems like no one has really had any luck getting it fixed, so not sure where to go from here. I try to drown it out with music, but I can always tell it’s there.

I have joined the club. Picked up my ‘23 Model Y Austin build about two weeks ago and immediately heard the sound on the way home. Made an appointment, rode with the tech, and he ended up telling me it’s a normal sound (something to do with the coils or something like that. Seemed like a bs answer). Reading through the posts, it seems like no one has really had any luck getting it fixed, so not sure where to go from here. I try to drown it out with music, but I can always tell it’s there.

Welcome to the 10 kHz club. Here is a spectrograph of your video showing your noise right at 10 kHz:
Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 7.41.00 AM.png

Reactions: perplex1

exercise your states lemon laws. this is not a sound listed in the manual, so this is no "within spec" or "normal sound" we are experiencing.

Reactions: Ts91
Fremont July 2022 build MYLR joining the club.

Video
modely cricket club

I had weird sound issue since last November and visited SC twice but rejected because they were not to reproduce the sound. Like everyone else, it need a specific condition to make this sound.

1. Car needs to be started at relatively cold temp (~50F or below for few hours or overnight). Im in bay area and it got little colder after late Nov. and started to notice the sound.
2. from 0- 35 mph no sounds are detected, but once it reaches to 40-60 mph, noise can be heard either when gas pedal is pressed or cruised or regen brake is on.
3. The noise seems to disappears after 10~20 min.

When I spoke to tech person at SC, he mentioned it could be heat pump because noise is affected by temp. I tried to drive next day by fully warming up the car by activating HVAC, but still was able to make the sound. Interestingly, there was a time when I did not hear noise whenever car was drove right after the charging (charging was at least 4-5hr long at cold wheather).

I finally found this thread, and glad that Im not alone. Im trying to bring up about the front drive unit this time so that they can specifically locate the noise. Would this be a good place to start?

As the weather gets warmer over the time, I found the noise sound is getting weaker as well. Hopefully, I can resolve this issue before winter is over or else might have to wait for another year 😬

I had Audacity open for another post so I stuck your recording in to make a spectrograph. Your 10 kHz band is STRONG! Your front drive unit seize up yet or still going strong?
View attachment 902680
It was the strongest I’ve ever heard. With freezing temperatures, surprisingly, it can get weaker. To me, worst conditions are : cold car around 5-8°C (46°F) and immediately on the highway cruising at 90 km/h (55 mph). It seems it changed a bit over time (since this recording).
But of course it’s within the specs…

@perplex1 speaker bandwidth is important. 10 kHz is quite high. I can hear it very well on my iPhone but almost inaudible on my AirPods.

Sometimes, even if I don’t have to, I stop 5-10 min at a supercharger. It warms up the car and it gets totally silent for the rest of my trip… sad…

It was the strongest I’ve ever heard. With freezing temperatures, surprisingly, it can get weaker. To me, worst conditions are : cold car around 5-8°C (46°F) and immediately on the highway cruising at 90 km/h (55 mph). It seems it changed a bit over time (since this recording).
But of course it’s within the specs…

@perplex1 speaker bandwidth is important. 10 kHz is quite high. I can hear it very well on my iPhone but almost inaudible on my AirPods.

Sometimes, even if I don’t have to, I stop 5-10 min at a supercharger. It warms up the car and it gets totally silent for the rest of my trip… sad…
What's very interesting is that's the exact conditions (over 55mph and under 50F or so) that my first front drive unit was worst under. The replacement drive unit they gave me is now only makes the noise between 30-55mph and not much over 55mph, although similar temps. Wonder if the way they replace the unit actually effects the noise--the factory puts it in one way that's consistent, and the noise is consistent, the SC puts it in differently and the noise manifests differently. Just a theory.

anyone try track mode and adjusting the power/handling bias more towards the rear and seeing if this makes any difference? Might give it a try when I have chance to play with track mode.
The front motor is only used during hard accelerations so when you're hearing the noise, the motor is just free spinning. They use the permanent magnet motor in the back as much as possible since it's more efficient, and then only use the induction motor in the front for hard accelerations.

The noise might go away when the front unit is powered, but it's also hard to tell since that's very hard acceleration, you only have a few seconds before you're going too fast. What would be interesting is if someone with track mode set the bias 100% to front, wonder what you'd hear then...

Reactions: rolling green
I hear the high pitch sound/cricket sound often. Sometimes the car is quiet as a mouse and other times even at 5mph, I can hear that noise. I hear it often when I am going 50-70mph. Sometimes I do not hear but have been turning up the volume to drown it out. It is annoying that I know it is there. Not a pleasant experience for a néw car.