Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d also be curious to see a tally of people who have gotten their drive units replaced and the outcomes of that. I think we have two replacements who still have the sound (but different), two replacements that solved the problem, and me, who managed to get a second replacement and is now solved.
That's close to what I've counted, but I had one more in the tally: 6 people here have had replacements, of those, 2 said the first replacement fixed it fully, 3 still had the issue, and 1 is still unclear. Of those 3 that still had the issue, 1 had a second replacement that fixed the issue (you Benito), and the remaining 2 noticed the replacement makes noise at lower speeds (me and ziptbm).

That's close to what I've counted, but I had one more in the tally: 6 people here have had replacements, of those, 2 said the first replacement fixed it fully, 3 still had the issue, and 1 is still unclear. Of those 3 that still had the issue, 1 had a second replacement that fixed the issue (you Benito), and the remaining 2 noticed the replacement makes noise at lower speeds (me and ziptbm).
I have an appt on Sunday and hope that they will replace it or take it seriously this time.

I filled it out just now. Can you share how many people have officially joined this club? I’m honestly surprised no one has explored a class action over this - I know NOTHING about law, so not sure if this would even be a case.

I created the survey as a preemptive measure in case this situation escalated and required more data for support.

However, I no longer have the vehicle and can no longer participate, so I have closed the survey to minimize any confusion.

There were 25 responses as of today as can be seen below. Since many respondents included their email addresses and VINs, I will not be publishing the full results to respect their privacy. There really wasn't much more gathered from this more than what's been accurately recapped in the last few posts from reading this thread.

Screenshot 2023-02-28 115312.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-28 115338.jpg

Hello everyone, it has been quite sometime since my last post and response. I took my car to SC they recorded the sound and a session was booked internally to review the recording for analysis. After several days the analysis resulted in a decision to order for a front drive unit for replacement. An appointment was booked and after confirming availability of the new unit I took the car to the SC and left it there overnight. Today service is completed and the car was ready, I picked it up in the afternoon. [Performed Validation Test Drive. Replaced Front Drive Unit Gearbox. 4 wheel alignment performed Correction: Gearbox - Front Drive Unit (Remove & Replace)]. Unfortunately, the weather is bad today, windy with snow storm so I couldn't tell if the sound disappeared (I will provide an update once I test it properly, although I kind of heard similar noise at certain points🤔).
P.S. For people in Ontario, Canada, I highly recommend Kitchener Tesla SC, the lead technician is excellent with great attitude, and very professional. Hopefully no more noise and screechy sounds. Wishing everybody here will get some attention from the SC and have proper evaluation of the noise. Good luck!
I live in toronto, i will make an appointment with SC in Kitchener i will be. A long drive for me, hopefully they know what i am what i am talking about the noise issue from front drive unit. Do you have the LEAD technician name? I hope he will understand the noise better.

I think if more people keep making appts for this sound, Tesla will have to make some sort of recall bulletin..
Just came from SC a little earlier today. They originally put in my service notes that it was a normal operating noise, but I pushed back in the chat and they changed the note to what it says in the photo attached. I then pushed more in person and they said that they opened a claim with their engineering team and I should hear back from them in a few weeks about a potential replacement. I’m pretty sure they escalated it to the engineering team (If they even really did) while I was standing in the lobby because I wouldn’t let it go - respectfully of course.

On the other hand, my car spent 42 total days in service from various issues since I bought it on Oct 29. I called a lemon law attorney based out of NYC (I think), and they basically said I can get my money back based on the circumstances (they had my car for 42 days, issue still isn’t fixed). I asked how confident he was that Tesla would buy back the car and his response was something along the lines of “if I wasn’t sure, I wouldn’t be taking the case.”

Has no one else pursued this option in the year this thread has been open? I like the idea of getting them to buy it back, and the maybe getting a new one but I’m scared that the new one would have the same issue.
B492EE2B-8411-4E38-8BD3-F8C3AAC151DF.png

I think if more people keep making appts for this sound, Tesla will have to make some sort of recall bulletin..
Just came from SC a little earlier today. They originally put in my service notes that it was a normal operating noise, but I pushed back in the chat and they changed the note to what it says in the photo attached. I then pushed more in person and they said that they opened a claim with their engineering team and I should hear back from them in a few weeks about a potential replacement. I’m pretty sure they escalated it to the engineering team (If they even really did) while I was standing in the lobby because I wouldn’t let it go - respectfully of course.

On the other hand, my car spent 42 total days in service from various issues since I bought it on Oct 29. I called a lemon law attorney based out of NYC (I think), and they basically said I can get my money back based on the circumstances (they had my car for 42 days, issue still isn’t fixed). I asked how confident he was that Tesla would buy back the car and his response was something along the lines of “if I wasn’t sure, I wouldn’t be taking the case.”

Has no one else pursued this option in the year this thread has been open? I like the idea of getting them to buy it back, and the maybe getting a new one but I’m scared that the new one would have the same issue.View attachment 912410
I created the survey as a preemptive measure in case this situation escalated and required more data for support.

However, I no longer have the vehicle and can no longer participate, so I have closed the survey to minimize any confusion.

There were 25 responses as of today as can be seen below. Since many respondents included their email addresses and VINs, I will not be publishing the full results to respect their privacy. There really wasn't much more gathered from this more than what's been accurately recapped in the last few posts from reading this thread.

View attachment 912299
View attachment 912302
Oh, wow. If you don’t mind my asking, was this issue the cause for you to get rid of the car? Did they do a buy back?

Yeah I think you should just keep taking it back and insisting there's a sound you know is not right and that dozens of others have this issue. And that when some of the SC's were able to diagnose and trace it back to the front motor, the fix has been to replace it due to faulty bearing. I think all the info on this thread is good to have (including some of the invoices we've posted), along with persistence and a getting lucky with your SC.

I really wish Tesla would put some type of bulletin out about this. Who knows what that would actually take. I think the SC's waste so much time with their whole "we need to hear it / I can't hear it / I hear it but it sounds within spec" when there's apparently a much more efficient way to diagnose this. It probably won't happen until one of these motors fails in some spectacular way as to draw enough attention, which may or may not happen.
Good thing is that the first tech who came on the ride with us confirmed hearing that cricket like pitch sound so at least that’s on record. Now I gotta make them hear it again and ask them, if they actually listen, to see if the bearing is burnt in the front motor and they actually DO something about it.

I live in toronto, i will make an appointment with SC in Kitchener i will be. A long drive for me, hopefully they know what i am what i am talking about the noise issue from front drive unit. Do you have the LEAD technician name? I hope he will understand the noise better.
Let me know how it goes. I've gone twice to North York, both times they've heard it, used the special audio device to take recordings, and passed it along to their engineering team, and both times they've come back saying it's within spec and nothing is wrong. Kitchener is a 90min drive for me and I really don't want to go through the hassle if this is going to happen again. The last time North York had my car for a week over this.

Reactions: tommychanchiwa

Has no one else pursued this option in the year this thread has been open? I like the idea of getting them to buy it back, and the maybe getting a new one but I’m scared that the new one would have the same issue.View attachment 912410

Oh, wow. If you don’t mind my asking, was this issue the cause for you to get rid of the car? Did they do a buy back?
What was the issue you brought it in for that they kept it for 42 days? Which SC did you go to out east? I am also nervous too if I were to get another Tesla that it might make the same noise. The only way would be to get a demo and test drive it to see if it has any noises.

Wow, lot's of updates lately!! Obviously a lot of Americans & Canadians in here, but are there by any chance also other Dutch owners in the thread? Perhaps we could join forces and at least ensure the Dutch SC's are aware of multiple cases in The Netherlands. The problem I'm encountering is that the "expert" that's rejecting the issue does acknowledges it, but he doesn't deem it necessary to replace due to the fact that it's not very common (and he's not familiar with the issue). On the recording they've made they cannot capture the sound, so that also doesn't help (even though the sound is pretty prevalent while driving).
Anyway... Anyone close-by, please let me know!

@jurde, the noise pitch is so high that I’m convinced they have a hard time to record and listen to it. If I play my videos on my EarPods, I don’t hear anything at all ! But the speaker of my phone reproduces it quite well. Unfortunately when I got there multiple times, they used EarPods or headsets. Cutoff frequency is key… and it depends on the brand and model.

I have my 6th appointment in two weeks. They would like to record and compare my car to another one in the same conditions.
Keep you posted.

Reactions: likkuid
What was the issue you brought it in for that they kept it for 42 days? Which SC did you go to out east? I am also nervous too if I were to get another Tesla that it might make the same noise. The only way would be to get a demo and test drive it to see if it has any noises.
All sorts of stuff over 4 total visits to Smithtown and Syosset. 2 windshield replacements, steering wheel was offset from factory that they simply would not fix until I insisted with the manager, they damaged my car multiple times (dropped tool and scratched through paint during windshield repair and had to go to body shop, damaged felt trim piece under window, damaged center console door), water poured out of HVAC system from a leak, general rattles, THIS STUPID ELECTRONIC CRICKET DEMON. It’s been a fun ride. I’m shocked at the build quality of the car and Teslas inconsistent/low quality customer service - though the people themselves are actually really nice. Also surprised how they always make a mess in the car and never clean up after themselves - boot prints all over the door sills, dirt on panels, etc.

I like the car. I want a Tesla. I’m just sick of the way Tesla does business and my concerns being dismissed, and most importantly, the car not getting fixed. But I see how happy so many owners are that I can’t help but to think I’m an extreme case of just having a black cloud over my head with this car. Clearly lots of people are having great experiences with Teslas, or forums like this wouldn’t exist in the first place.

Again, shocked we don’t hear of more people who went the lawyer route…unless whatever settlements they make happen include a gag clause.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
2023 MYLR, picked up recently. I can hear the same exact noise. Scheduled a SC visit but unfortunately was unable to reproduce with tech in the car and they also couldn’t hear anything in their own tests.

I sent a video recording as well, but nada. I hope we can get a service bulletin around this.

2023 MYLR, picked up recently. I can hear the same exact noise. Scheduled a SC visit but unfortunately was unable to reproduce with tech in the car and they also couldn’t hear anything in their own tests.

I sent a video recording as well, but nada. I hope we can get a service bulletin around this.
I have noticed that it happens ALOT when the temperature is cooler around 40F or less. When it is warmer not so much..