Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this high pitched cricket like noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that seems to be the mystery. One theory was that a larger portion of the drive units have this sound than we realize, and/or the units they use as replacements are more likely to have it for whatever reason.

Another theory was that it’s the actual act of replacing the DU that solves it. Like the replacing of coolant, seals, etc. does the trick, which would explain why it sometimes takes two attempts.

The first DU replacement I got made the sound but it was in a distinctly different speed range as the original. After the second replacement (just over a year ago) I haven’t heard the noise once.
That kind of the worst part of the whole thing. I don't mind going back to the SC multiple times to get them to hear and resolve the problem. But it sounds like Tesla doesn't have a firm grip on what the problem is or how to definitively fix it.

So we're left with having them make educated guesses and possibly replace things with parts that have the same issue(s) as the original ones that they replaced. It's just kind of a crap shoot really.

As a somewhat unrelated note, looking at my Teslamate data those two test drives that were taken from the SC hit a higher "max Power" rating than any other drive that I've taken since I owned my vehicle. Overall, they weren't driving recklessly based on the data, but they were certainly being rather heavy footed with my car at times during their test drive when they didn't need to be. That further makes me less comfortable leaving my car with them for an extended period of time, especially when they don't have a definitive fix for the issue.

Yeah, that seems to be the mystery. One theory was that a larger portion of the drive units have this sound than we realize, and/or the units they use as replacements are more likely to have it for whatever reason.

Another theory was that it’s the actual act of replacing the DU that solves it. Like the replacing of coolant, seals, etc. does the trick, which would explain why it sometimes takes two attempts.

The first DU replacement I got made the sound but it was in a distinctly different speed range as the original - a few others have noted this too. After the second replacement (just over a year ago) I haven’t heard the noise once.
You are lucky your SC replaced your unit period. My SC does not want to replace it b/c if there is a noise, that might not fix the issue and now they say that there is no noise they can hear.

W
That kind of the worst part of the whole thing. I don't mind going back to the SC multiple times to get them to hear and resolve the problem. But it sounds like Tesla doesn't have a firm grip on what the problem is or how to definitively fix it.

So we're left with having them make educated guesses and possibly replace things with parts that have the same issue(s) as the original ones that they replaced. It's just kind of a crap shoot really.

As a somewhat unrelated note, looking at my Teslamate data those two test drives that were taken from the SC hit a higher "max Power" rating than any other drive that I've taken since I owned my vehicle. Overall, they weren't driving recklessly based on the data, but they were certainly being rather heavy footed with my car at times during their test drive when they didn't need to be. That further makes me less comfortable leaving my car with them for an extended period of time, especially when they don't have a definitive fix for the issue.
What is Teslamate? I will have to look that up.

Just came from SC a little earlier today. They originally put in my service notes that it was a normal operating noise, but I pushed back in the chat and they changed the note to what it says in the photo attached. I then pushed more in person and they said that they opened a claim with their engineering team and I should hear back from them in a few weeks about a potential replacement. I’m pretty sure they escalated it to the engineering team (If they even really did) while I was standing in the lobby because I wouldn’t let it go - respectfully of course.

On the other hand, my car spent 42 total days in service from various issues since I bought it on Oct 29. I called a lemon law attorney based out of NYC (I think), and they basically said I can get my money back based on the circumstances (they had my car for 42 days, issue still isn’t fixed). I asked how confident he was that Tesla would buy back the car and his response was something along the lines of “if I wasn’t sure, I wouldn’t be taking the case.”

Has no one else pursued this option in the year this thread has been open? I like the idea of getting them to buy it back, and the maybe getting a new one but I’m scared that the new one would have the same issue.View attachment 912410
Which SC did you visit the one is Syosset?

The first DU replacement I got made the sound but it was in a distinctly different speed range as the original - a few others have noted this too. After the second replacement (just over a year ago) I haven’t heard the noise once.
I'm definitely wondering if there's something in the replacement process that fixes this. Maybe the ground strap?
That or they're just producing a lot of the drive units because it's more and more of a prevalent issue it seems.. originally we thought it might have been a "batch" of units that did it, but doesn't seem so anymore.

I was booking for my 4th visit and found that the service request flow was slightly changed? Additional questions are asked specifically about the driver unit. Is Tesla being aware of the issue now?

I doubt the SC will say again that they cant hear the noise but trying to bring some materials shared in this thread to let them know Im not the one having the issue and hope they can at least look into my drive unit although they can't hear inside the car...
2582590E-A807-4AFF-BB1F-EFB4A98D62BE.jpeg
4525822D-4705-48B6-AFC7-DAB02BB42DE2.jpeg

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Interesting. I went through and scheduled an appointment in my app for service and never was brought to a page like the one that you posted.

I cancelled my appointment for the time being. I'm not ready to go through the whole song and dance again just yet. As they continue to get more reports of this problem, I'm hoping that Tesla will start to have more guidance as to how to actually properly identify and fix the problem before I go back again.

I guess I’m joining the family here. 2023 MYLR. Been dealing this bs noise for the past couples months or so. It all happen after removing the rear tire due to a nail removal. Seems like most of y’all been hearing the noise from the front of the car or the front driver unit, mine is at the rear. And it’s pretty intermittent, from 20-65 mph.

Reactions: Ts91
New Tesla owner so not sure if this is a common noise that we just have to get used to or if it is not normal. It started off very intermittent like on the first drive of the day we would hear it. Now it seems to be getting less intermittent and doesn't depend on whether the car is cold. It is almost so high pitched it's hard to hear through my cell phone video but it seems to be coming from forward of the driver position. I almost describe it like the sound of crickets coming from under the hood.

I hear it with HVAC on or off so I have sort of ruled that out and it's not the whine sound heard during hard accel or regen. I like that noise. I wouldn't describe it as a whine at all more like a bearing noise possibly in the front motor.

Take your new Tesla in to the Service Center and play them your recorded sound. They should be able to address it.

Hopefully soon I'll find out about the real root cause for this noise, and how to fix it, thanks to this thread. Fortunately I still have 3 years of guarantee for my Model Y, so as soon as Tesla seems to be aware of it and how to fix it, I'll take it to the SC again

I guess I’m joining the family here. 2023 MYLR. Been dealing this bs noise for the past couples months or so. It all happen after removing the rear tire due to a nail removal. Seems like most of y’all been hearing the noise from the front of the car or the front driver unit, mine is at the rear. And it’s pretty intermittent, from 20-65 mph.
If it's coming from the rear, that's likely a different problem. Do you have a recording of it?