Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this sensor for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks. New model S owner here 2015.
Just picked it up as a CPO.
Does anyone know what this sensor is for?
I assume it's a sensor....it's not a button that can be pushed.
Thanks.
Attach51781_20181026_111228.png

In 2015, they were still using the old cruise control stalk. This stalk eventually changed in 2016 to be Autopilot specific. Back then it was still a layover form the cruise control. That was a light that was lit when you had the cruise set.

You also have a button at the end of that stalk that, when pressed, disengages Autopilot. Originally, it was used to set cruise control. The new stalks don't have that button anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and drklain
It's a light that, on the Mercedes it's from, indicates the speed limiter function is on. Rather than normal cruise control. The button on the end in a MB toggles between Cruise or Limiter, the light indicates which is set.
It's on the 2018 C-series I've got while my MS is being fixed. (someone rear-ended me on the M1).

In 2015, they were still using the old cruise control stalk. This stalk eventually changed in 2016 to be Autopilot specific. Back then it was still a layover form the cruise control. That was a light that was lit when you had the cruise set.

You also have a button at the end of that stalk that, when pressed, disengages Autopilot. Originally, it was used to set cruise control. The new stalks don't have that button anymore.

FWIW (small detail) -- The button on the end of the cruise control/AP stalk is very handy in my experience. I find it easy to use it to discontinue cruise or AP without touching the brake, and without moving my hand very far where it is resting on the steering wheel. I would miss it if I had a car without it. (I know, you can also push the lever forward to disconnect.)

Reactions: JohnnyG
FWIW (small detail) -- The button on the end of the cruise control/AP stalk is very handy in my experience. I find it easy to use it to discontinue cruise or AP without touching the brake, and without moving my hand very far where it is resting on the steering wheel. I would miss it if I had a car without it. (I know, you can also push the lever forward to disconnect.)
A very convenient feature for sure!