Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this? & Why is it up here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a hinge for a hatchback?

hatch.jpg

I think that is the support over the B-pillar where your right arrow is pointing. The S, for example, has the same support over the B-pillar.

When you look at the top of the Model 3, you see the glass is in sections. One of those sections is right where that support is located.

I think that's either the side-curtain air bag inflator or a motor for the front sunroof…

Agree that it looks like a gas strut that could be used to lift the glass -- but I think the rear class will be fixed… I'd love to have a hatch like in my S though...

I'm going to guess that the long, curved white column just below that cylinder is the side curtain airbag, and the cylinder itself is the inflation cartridge for it. What the arrow on the right points to is anybody's guess, but I don't think there's nearly enough detail here to tell.

What the arrow on the right points to is anybody's guess, but I don't think there's nearly enough detail here to tell.

There's a rod from the cylinder to the center of the roof. You can see it better in the unveil video. Also, if you look at a photo from above you can see a partition in the glass near the b pillar.

Just hoping...but I think the evidence suggests we're being punked with the small trunk.

Just hoping...but I think the evidence suggests we're being punked with the small trunk.

Yup. Look at the frame structure below the window. That is solid, no evidence that it is two pieces. And I seriously doubt they are going to be making structural changes to the frame this late in the design process.

I think the hatch will come with the Y. Differentiates the two models more.