Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Beginning of the end for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
our electricity is not cheap but there is a lot of tax on Petrol so. It breaks down like this.
petrol is about £6.70 per UK gallon. So if a car averages 40mpg that is 16.75p/mile

Electricity on the other hand ranges from:
50-90p per kwh for public charging
26p for standard domestic
7-9p for overnight rates
you can sell solar for 15p

so at 3miles per kwh ( including charging losses etc that is more than fair before anyone says they get 4) the price to run an EV is anywhere between 2.5p to 30p per mile. Most EV owners are nearer the 2.5p end I suspect at present so running an EV is typically much cheaper in fuel than a petrol car here
Unless you do a high mileage does anyone really care about fuel costs per mile? I’m looking for my first electric car (maybe) now that my employer is running a lease scheme, currently running a golf R. Despite the relatively high consumption of the Golf I can honestly say I’ve not once bothered to check what MPG I’m getting in 5 years of ownership. I simply don’t care enough. Petrol costs are a minor part of the TCO which includes monthly lease, car tax, insurance etc.
I think run costs per mile are even less of a consideration for electric cars where purchase price/monthly lease is higher, insurance is higher, de-creation is higher etc etc. Plus there is the cost of a home charger up front.
The average annual mileage in the UK is 6.6k. Not done the maths but I would question how many years you’d have to run an electric car before you broke even on that kind of mileage.

Reactions: Mercimek and ringi
Unless you do a high mileage does anyone really care about fuel costs per mile?
Not especially, but I do care about providers taking the piss, which is happening with the big three (and possibly Tesla as well, as their prices used to rise and fall with wholesale costs but have been static/increasing for a year).

The lay-offs are a typical Musk ploy to remove the deadwood in his organisation.

As for e-fuels - LOL
If this is true :

Are your performance management processes any better than your hiring processes or are they riddled with false measures, bias and unmeasurable behaviour type measures (which boil down to "don't disagree with me") ? One leader's deadwood is another leader's star.
It rewards behaviours like :
- I'm going to overstaff because I know a cull is coming and it will be easer to cope with the reduction
- I'm not going to bother developing people because I'll just fire those who don't look after themselves
- I'm just going to hire who is in front of me rather than figure out what I need and who would be a good fit because I'll just keep firing them until I get someone I like.
Productivity is lost as everyone is looking around wondering how to *look* good and not get caught in the next round (while gossiping about the current round).
People understand that (despite claims of great processes) who is in the 10% comes down to musical chairs and randomness and so it might be best to look elsewhere resulting in the talent moving (because they can) and less experienced staying (because they have to).

If this is not true :

Reducing your wage bill by 10% makes an instant impact on the bottom line (followed by either a longer term problem because you *needed* those people or all of the above) which can overcome any current bad news. (Like cancelled product development, reduction in sales etc etc)

Reactions: CyberGus
Unless you do a high mileage does anyone really care about fuel costs per mile? I’m looking for my first electric .

I do. I agree it's only part of the cost of owning a car but it's a constant irritation wasting money on petrol.

So I don't check costs but just know that the cost per mile is about 1/10th of a similar ICE.

Plus it's better charging up at home overnight when needed rather then having occasional petrol station stops messing up your routine.

Unless you do a high mileage does anyone really care about fuel costs per mile? I’m looking for my first electric car (maybe) now that my employer is running a lease scheme, currently running a golf R. Despite the relatively high consumption of the Golf I can honestly say I’ve not once bothered to check what MPG I’m getting in 5 years of ownership. I simply don’t care enough. Petrol costs are a minor part of the TCO which includes monthly lease, car tax, insurance etc.
I think run costs per mile are even less of a consideration for electric cars where purchase price/monthly lease is higher, insurance is higher, de-creation is higher etc etc. Plus there is the cost of a home charger up front.
The average annual mileage in the UK is 6.6k. Not done the maths but I would question how many years you’d have to run an electric car before you broke even on that kind of mileage.
I care.
I used to do 20K miles a year for 15 years and fuel made up 50% of my annual running costs and that included depreciation. So it was very important to me.
old habits die hard.

using your 6600 mile figure that means someone driving a petrol car doing 40mpg would spend £1,200 on fuel
doing the same in an EV would be £1320 public charging at 60p per kwh hour
or £165 on Octopus Go Intelligent

A 2020 Corsa-E starts at about 11k which is about £1000 more than the equivalent petrol. As things stand.
You don't think differences like that matter to someone spending in the region of £10k on a car?

Reactions: spdpsba
Definitely matters to me. Approaching retirement and will lose my company car allowance soon but am fortunate to now own my car outright now. Living off pensions/investments alone is going to be tough, so knowing I have very low fuel costs will let me enjoy retirement without worrying about the cost of fuel for a day out. If you haven't tried doing a retirement budget this is likely to go over your head though as you only have a finite pot that needs to be managed to last until you die.

Love our M3. Couple of questions from a sometimes TMC viewer. IF..if Elon had pushed to get the so called "$25K" EV produced and out..And not produced the CT, would things have been different as far as layoffs? Uninformed and wondering.

IF..if Elon had pushed to get the so called "$25K" EV produced and out..And not produced the CT, would things have been different as far as layoffs?
We never know.

But CT was on the cards for a long time. And Tesla being an American car company wouldn’t want to lose out on the huge truck market. Imagine Tesla losing out to Ford or GMs BEV trucks with all of them having NACS standard chargers. That will destroy Tesla in US.

Model 2 was always an afterthought, mainly after the success of Model 3&Y in Europe.

We never know.

But CT was on the cards for a long time. And Tesla being an American car company wouldn’t want to lose out on the huge truck market. Imagine Tesla losing out to Ford or GMs BEV trucks with all of them having NACS standard chargers. That will destroy Tesla in US.

Model 2 was always an afterthought, mainly after the success of Model 3&Y in Europe.
Looking into how many CT's have been sold..

We never know.

The goal is to produce 250,000 Cybertrucks a year, or about 62,500 a quarter. Musk says that the rate can be reached at some point in 2025. In the first quarter, Tesla probably made and delivered in the range of 3,500 Cybertrucks. Analysts use vehicle identification number registrations and other things to estimate production rates and volumes.
Ford sold 20,365 F-150 Lightning trucks so far in 2023, up from 13,258 in 2022 for a 53 percent increase. EVs accounted for a little under 8 percent of all US vehicle sales in the third quarter of 2023, according to Cox Automotive.Dec 11, 2023

Looks like Ford in the front by a wide margin.
MODELQ1 24 / Q1 23Q1 24Q1 23Q1 24 SHAREQ1 23 SHARE
TOTAL+72.70%13,3727,743
FORD F-150 LIGHTNING+80.45%7,7434,29158%55%
RIVIAN R1T-30.43%2,4003,45018%45%
GMC HUMMER EV PICKUP+82,885.07%1,668212%0%
CHEVROLET SILVERADO EV*1,061*8%0%
TESLA CYBERTRUCK*500*4%0%

Reactions: ringi
The goal is to produce 250,000 Cybertrucks a year, or about 62,500 a quarter. Musk says that the rate can be reached at some point in 2025. In the first quarter, Tesla probably made and delivered in the range of 3,500 Cybertrucks. Analysts use vehicle identification number registrations and other things to estimate production rates and volumes.
Ford sold 20,365 F-150 Lightning trucks so far in 2023, up from 13,258 in 2022 for a 53 percent increase. EVs accounted for a little under 8 percent of all US vehicle sales in the third quarter of 2023, according to Cox Automotive.Dec 11, 2023

TOTAL+72.70%13,3727,743
They'll never sell 250k Cybertrucks a year.

Not many countries are hugely info trucks so it hasn't got much market outside of the US. It's too big to get around our roads in Europe, Australia might like it but they'll have to make a RHD one to sell there.

US of course is a massive market but the case for an EV truck isn't all that strong. Range is poor, more so with a good load and horrible when towing. ICE is just the way to go still here and most Americans know it.

Reactions: RSpanner
I care.
I used to do 20K miles a year for 15 years and fuel made up 50% of my annual running costs and that included depreciation. So it was very important to me.
old habits die hard.

using your 6600 mile figure that means someone driving a petrol car doing 40mpg would spend £1,200 on fuel
doing the same in an EV would be £1320 public charging at 60p per kwh hour
or £165 on Octopus Go Intelligent

A 2020 Corsa-E starts at about 11k which is about £1000 more than the equivalent petrol. As things stand.
You don't think differences like that matter to someone spending in the region of £10k on a car?

Assuming a mix of where the car is charged and £1k to get a home charger installed, it will take nearly 3 years before money is saved. Thats assuming no interest costs on the addational £1k cost of car and £1k charger install.

But quality of life increase from EV when it can mostly be charged at home due to auto defrost etc.

TOTAL+72.70%13,3727,743

We should expect Ford to be ahead of CT sales for much of this year. We can't judge CT sales until next year as Tesla does not expect to have production line as full capacity until then and today's sales are going to people who would buy a CT regardless of how good it is.