Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Is Your Line Of Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure where is the best place to ask this. But im dying to know.

For those of you buying the Model X', or already owning one:

1) what is your line of work?
2) do you put any money down / pay cash?

I've been working 90 hours a week for the last several years. I have a "9-5 career" where I am salaried (senior software engineer) and have a business on the side that I've been growing where we do websites and mobile apps (a few part timers, a fulltimer and myself).

I'm wondering what line of work you're all in and how long you've been in it to be able to afford the Model X. And if you have any suggestions or tips to off. I'm absolutely a huge fan of Tesla, its mission, and Elon Musk.

I am a process automation engineer. Early in my career I wanted to go into robotics but the economy wasn’t good in the 80s, and so the next best thing was automating chemical plants. Most of the people that do what I do are chemical engineers these days. 10 to 15% of us are electrical or electrical computer engineers. I come from the ECC.
I have noticed most of the ECC’s Are obsessed about Tesla, My obsession started at ABB Customer automation world conference. Where I got a glimpse of Audi e-tron, Charging on and ABB Station. Try to get my wife to buy a model three but as a career counselor She was way too Frugal and afraid of technology to consider it. But she understood my obsession. And thought I should get rid of my eco-diesel truck, So I’m sitting here today waiting for delivery of my new model X long range, Very excited

I am a process automation engineer. Early in my career I wanted to go into robotics but the economy wasn’t good in the 80s, and so the next best thing was automating chemical plants. Most of the people that do what I do are chemical engineers these days. 10 to 15% of us are electrical or electrical computer engineers. I come from the ECC.
I have noticed most of the ECC’s Are obsessed about Tesla, My obsession started at ABB Customer automation world conference. Where I got a glimpse of Audi e-tron, Charging on and ABB Station. Try to get my wife to buy a model three but as a career counselor She was way too Frugal and afraid of technology to consider it. But she understood my obsession. And thought I should get rid of my eco-diesel truck, So I’m sitting here today waiting for delivery of my new model X long range, Very excited

Haha. This is great. Separate bank accounts in addition to a shared one?

So now you drive a real life hotwheels. That's legit. I love it. Backend is super fun but the devs never get the credit they deserve. Was it all rest based APIs?

gRPC, though Google cloud has a frontend that'll proxy a REST API, which is what our client devs wanted, but this backend is what will be used across many more Mattel games,.applications, and devices. Barbie and Fisher Price are already working on integrations.

I'm a Radiologist. Work full time in NHS and part time at home reporting outsourced scans. Having a Ltd company for my private work made buying a new EV make a lot of sense. Got a PCP putting max deposit down. Can also pay for repairs and insurance through the company. I told my wife my account said it would be madness not to buy a P100DL X. I may have bent the truth...

• Funny
Reactions: BBone
Not quite retired software dev/entrepreneur. I’m always looking for new and exciting opportunities. Recently, I realized that Tesla is still a startup, albeit a $40B public one. I tell my wife that getting the MX is just due diligence, a story that I’m sticking with.

• Funny
Reactions: GraemeS
Haha. Does the Tesla Semi seem like a viable option to you? The debut presentation certainly made it look like a no-brainer to an outsider, but I think we're all seinking the Tesla Koolaid pretty hard. Well... At least I am. Haha. (I feel like for good reason though)

Oilfield trucks so in my personal opinion I don’t think the new Tesla semi could take the abuse of back roads. Even the heavy duty Kenworth takes quite a beating everyday!

The cost of MX is not nearly as bad if it can be used/claimed as business asset/use. So it can be depreciated over time. It's the same as spending pre-tax vs post-tax money. So if your tax bracket is 25% (Fed + state), your personal MX's cost is suddenly 33% (roughly) more expensive (comparing to business use).

Both my wife and I are in hi-tech for the past 20 years, live mortgage free, own a portfolio of rental properties. We only bought the MX recently (for the rental business), because there's no property worth investing right now.

Mostly retired 20 years ago, I was a tech founder/exec in Silicon Valley and San Francisco, I had a career in tech that began when I was in high school. I'm now an investor with a portfolio of commercial and residential real estate assembled over the past couple of decades, mostly really in the past decade. So far we've been buying to rehab or develop then hold to lease. One cool property we are in the development planning on right now is an old San Francisco firehouse that's likely to become a mixed use development when it's completed with residential over commercial. This is our first one of those.

(and continuing below, which easily could be TL;DR. I won't be offended if you skip it!)

I bought our first Tesla, a Model S P85+ in Feb 2014, taking delivery in March. At the time I ordered the S I also put down a $40k deposit for a Signature Edition Model X. While we waited for the Model X to go into production, which finally happened in 2016, somewhere along the way I decided I'd rather the company make a few tens of thousands of them, then a hundred thousand of them before I had them make that one for me, so I put off ordering mine a while. I didn't really want to be a beta tester by having them build for me one of the first few hundred X vehicles. I finally pulled the trigger to have them build that Signature edition X (P90DL) in late 2018 (only now that means its a fully spec'ed X P100DL) Nothing like being fashionably late to a product launch.

I bought our Model X to be our company car. Using the IRS Section 179 rule which I heard about either here or on the Tesla forum made the car 100% deductible in the first year it was placed in service. For us that was the last few weeks of 2018, we took delivery around Thanksgiving. The only vehicle Tesla currently sells that's easily (and obviously) qualified under Section 179 for the fully accelerated first year 100% depreciation is the X, due to its large-enough size > 6000 lb GVWR.

For those with a small business, Section179 makes buying a qualified business vehicle a great proposition. The deduction continues to be valid in tax year 2019, with the fully accelerated deduction of the entire vehicle in the first year of service. "Talk to your CPA / tax preparer to see if IRS Section 179 is right for you!" See also: Section 179 Tax Deduction for 2019 | Section179.Org

We still own that original Model S and it will continue to be our personal-use vehicle, (now a/k/a "the wife's car.") I'm planning on buying a 2020 Roadster for myself, seems like 2020 will be a good time for a mid-life crisis sports car purchase. I'm now in my early 50s. I won't wait four years this time before I have them build that Roadster for me.

Reactions: K3Man