Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your true Model 3 budget?

What is the top of your M3 budget

Votes: 12 2.8%

Votes: 54 12.7%

Votes: 103 24.2%

Votes: 98 23.0%
  • unlimited

Votes: 15 3.5%

Votes: 47 11.0%

Votes: 56 13.1%

Votes: 41 9.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
right now my budget is 45k, but i just read that NYS added a 2k rebate -so i guess i can up it to 47k :p
Dude, you just made my day. $2K more back in my pocket for buying an EV! Woo hoo! Of course, we pay ridiculous amounts of tax in NY State, but it's always nice to get some back.

I wrote to Cuomo's office a couple of years ago asking for incentives for EVs in New York State. But I had no idea I was so persuasive. :)

For those who want to find out more, here's a link: New York State Adds Plug-In Electric Car Incentives

There's also apparently a 50% tax credit for purchase and installation of electric vehicle charging stations (up to $5K). That one expires in December, 2017, but hey, I can always get it installed a little early. :)

Alternative Fuel Vehicle Recharging Tax Credit:S.B. 2609 and A.B. 3009, passed in 2013, provide a tax credit for 50 percent of the cost, up to $5,000, for the purchase and installation of alternative fuel vehicle refueling and electric vehicle recharging property. The credit is available through Dec. 31, 2017.

But to get back on topic... I think a fully loaded Model 3 could be between $70K and "Unlimited" so I'm not sure all options are covered by the poll. I wouldn't pay $200,000 for a Model 3, but $75K wouldn't be entirely out of the question for one with everything.

looking to spend 50k ish, and it will mostly be for performance, no cowbells in the interior or exterior. I drive cars from the 80s and 90s, so even the basic interior options will feel like luxury to me :p
I think the cowbells will be standard:

upload_2016-4-6_1-55-15.png

Maybe we need a separate thread for that though? "How Much Would You Pay For More Cowbells on the Model 3?"

I think any Model 3 over $70k is crazy. People in the stores were estimating topping out at $65k but keep in mind that the best Model S and the cheapest Model S is a difference of $70k in options. So if the Model 3 starts at $35k..............

Anyone that's curious about the NYS Rebate that was just enacted as part of Bill S.6408.C, this is the relevant section:

PART AA

Section 1. Zero emissions vehicle and electric vehicle rebate program.
1. Definitions. For purposes of this act, the following terms shall
have the following meanings:
a. "Authority" shall mean the New York state energy research and
development authority.
b. "Eligible vehicle" means and includes a new motor vehicle that:
(i) has four wheels;
(ii) was manufactured for use primarily on public streets, roads and
highways;
(iii) the powertrain of which has not been modified from the original
manufacturer's specifications;
(iv) is rated at not more than eight thousand five hundred pounds
gross vehicle weight;
(v) has a maximum speed capability of at least fifty-five miles per
hour; and
(vi) is propelled at least in part by an electric motor and associated
power electronics which provide acceleration torque to the drive wheels
sometime during normal vehicle operation, and that draws electricity
from a hydrogen fuel cell or from a battery that:
(A) has a capacity of not less than four kilowatt hours; and
(B) is capable of being recharged from an external source of electric-
ity.
2. No later than one year after the effective date of this act, the
authority shall develop a program to encourage the deployment of zero
emissions vehicles and electric vehicles.
3. The program created pursuant to this act shall include rebates for
eligible purchases, provided that a rebate for an eligible purchase
shall not exceed two thousand dollars.
4. Within one year of the effective date of this act, the authority
shall implement and administer this act including rules relating to the
forms required to claim a rebate, the required documentation for estab-
lishing eligibility for a rebate, procedures and guidelines for claiming
a rebate, and the collection of economic impact data from applicants and
any other requirements the authority deems necessary.

S. 6408--C 40 A. 9008--C

The authority shall determine and publish on its website on an ongoing
basis the amount of available funding for rebates remaining in each
fiscal year.
5. No later than April 1, 2018 and annually thereafter, the authority
shall issue a report to the temporary president of the senate, the
speaker of the assembly, the chair of the senate committee on energy and
telecommunications and the chair of the assembly committee on energy
detailing the status of its program to encourage the deployment of zero
emissions vehicles and electric vehicles. Such report shall include:
a. the amount of funding dedicated by the authority for the program in
the preceding year;
b. the amount of eligible purchases for which a rebate was awarded;
c. the amount and geographic distribution of rebates; and
d. any other information the authority deems necessary.
S 2. This act shall take effect immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBoylan
I hold RN 108k (first in on line but no in store order for me) and I am thrilled at the prospect of buying what I saw for 35,000.

I have my reservation response email, but have to ask about your RN 108k estimated reservation number. How did you find the number. I've read and re-read my email confirmation and didn't see anything remotely suggesting how far down the list I am. OTOH, since I live in AL and do not already own a Tesla, there was no particular rush to order it. The delivery order puts me a year + after the first deliveries are made.

I can't afford a ton of options, but won't sit on the sidelines of history for this :D.

I have my reservation response email, but have to ask about your RN 108k estimated reservation number. How did you find the number. I've read and re-read my email confirmation and didn't see anything remotely suggesting how far down the list I am. OTOH, since I live in AL and do not already own a Tesla, there was no particular rush to order it. The delivery order puts me a year + after the first deliveries are made.

I can't afford a ton of options, but won't sit on the sidelines of history for this :D.
It is on the My Tesla part of the Tesla web site. Log in to that and you will see your RN

The reservation number on your MyTesla page does not currently correspond to anything we know about our place in line.

Tesla has that information on their end.

If it were to be taken literally, than I am somewhere around 108,000,000 in line, which would be some sort of record.

I'm trying to keep it under 50k pre-tax. Supercharging and all autopilot features are a definite. I'd prefer next-gen seats +/- leather and metallic paint. I'd really like both bigger battery and dual motor. Have no desire for performance packages, upgraded interior, sound, wheels, etc. I think I'll be able to get all the things I want, but it will be tight. Just depends on how much the discount upgrades compared to the model S. The time to delivery lets me set aside a fair amount of cash to be flexible, but I'd be fine dropping the dual motors to bring cost down.

Pretty much whatever a near stock 3 costs with the addition of AWD/duel motors. I'm assuming that will be a 4k upgrade, but would love to be surprised with it only being 3K. 215 mile range is fine, stock paint is fine, stock interior is fine, cheapest roof is fine, cheapest tires are fine, don't need autopilot. Winter pack has some appeal, but only to a point. Supercharging is the wildcard, but I have a hunch that it will wind up being included.

Pretty much whatever a near stock 3 costs with the addition of AWD/duel motors. I'm assuming that will be a 4k upgrade, but would love to be surprised with it only being 3K. 215 mile range is fine, stock paint is fine, stock interior is fine, cheapest roof is fine, cheapest tires are fine, don't need autopilot. Winter pack has some appeal, but only to a point. Supercharging is the wildcard, but I have a hunch that it will wind up being included.

I've changed my tune a little bit...I pretty much want the same thing as you with the exception that I would have to have supercharging..I really wouldn't mind paying 1K...at first I was thinking leather seats and no AWD but I won't be able to resist the extra power...

Ill be somewhere between 45 and 50, hopefully with taxs. My only real needs off the bat are supercharging if not included, bigger battery, and I would like AWD and figure bigger battery may make it required. Depending upon cost and the state of the fed rebate I will activate autopilot and possibly spring for the P upgrade. Also a wild card is my income in 2 years and how much I can actively reduce my debt from being young and irresponsible.

Canadian so it is hard to say and based on our dollar when it comes time to order. Right now 35,000 is 45,000 CAD. I was hoping to spend 55. Want the bigger battery and AWD for sure. So I will have to wait and see. Ontario has an EV incentive up to 14,000 off now so it also depends on if that is available when the Model 3 finally ships.