Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the funny thing about the M3 is this, even if it is actually slower than ICE cars, it "feels" faster due to low end torque and how instant it is....for instance my BMW M4 does 0-60 in 3.9 sec compared to my M3's 4.3 s but the model 3 just feels faster...the steering feel is tighter and more accurate too...ICE can't outdo EV's even when they are objectively better due to subjective feelings.

The true handling of the car I still give it to the M4 but not by much and that cause the M3 has more understeer, body roll and bounciness when really pushed.

ICE will be like vinyl records soon...its amazing the engine tech is basically the same as it has been for last 100 years if you think about it, so are the rocket engines that fly to space, same basic design from 60 years ago...odd....I was going to say, maybe Tesla should branch into airplane engines too but the more I think about that one as I was flying over the atlantic ocean yesterday, maybe not I'll take a pass lol...:).

i am curious cause many prob feel its Prius and Volt/Leaf owners but I have a feeling many sportscar owners switched to the M3.

Please list what car you used to drive or sold to get the model 3 and which model 3 you bought !

I sold my BMW M4 and I’m glad I did... I have awd m3 long range but with many mods already .
Bmw 128i m-sport with manual transmission. I miss the car but I don’t miss paying $50 for a full tank. The tesla corners better. BMW is a bit more full to drive but the tesla I want to drive more because lower fuel cost.

the funny thing about the M3 is this, even if it is actually slower than ICE cars, it "feels" faster due to low end torque and how instant it is....for instance my BMW M4 does 0-60 in 3.9 sec compared to my M3's 4.3 s but the model 3 just feels faster...the steering feel is tighter and more accurate too...ICE can't outdo EV's even when they are objectively better due to subjective feelings.

While it is "slower," in order to achieve 3.9 sec on the BMW, you need to use launch control, something most people will not use at a stop light. For the 3, you just need to press the pedal on the right to achieve 4.3. Plus, hard acceleration on the 3 doesn't attract the same attention from law enforcement than trying on the M4.

While it is "slower," in order to achieve 3.9 sec on the BMW, you need to use launch control, something most people will not use at a stop light. For the 3, you just need to press the pedal on the right to achieve 4.3. Plus, hard acceleration on the 3 doesn't attract the same attention from law enforcement than trying on the M4.
Model 3 AWD does 0-60 in 4.0 per MT testing. BMW M4 does 3.9 using launch control.
The Tesla is faster under almost all normal driving situations.

2014 Silverado - Honestly a little surprised nobody else (so far) has mentioned switching from a truck. I paid a decent car payments worth in gas each month.
I am considering purchasing a model 3 coming out of my Ford F250 6.7. How do you like it? The main reason and really only reason is I constantly am on the highway back and forth from customers, and now the tax law has changed and I can't write off my mileage.

VW GTI, don't remember the year. We were holding out for the 35k version, but the VW fell apart so we decided to just get the M3 rather than fix it. Still have a Suburban that mostly sits in the driveway and collects pine cones, and a motorcycle.

Had a 99 C43 AMG that I had hoped would last until my Model 3 AWD came in. With 231K miles on it, it didn't and I didn't want to use my Jaguar F-Type as a daily driver, so I bought a 2015 Volt to tide me over. I loved it! Had a hard time deciding which to keep as a back up after I got the M3. Just got rid of the Volt (wasn't so much fun any more, for obvious reasons.) Think I am going to let the F-Type go soon too. The Model 3 is faster, has more room, safer and (duh) no gas used! But man the F-Type is a beautiful car. And the sound! AWD does 0-60 in 4 sec now?? I was thinking 4.2-4.3. Wow...

You need to find a 120V plug for 3-4 day trips. Ideally, they'd put in a L2 for you though and trickle charge your car to 70%

I told the chief pilot that if the airport authority didn't install some EV chargers in the employee lot soon, I was gonna run an extension cord out of his office window... ;)

Some of the light posts in the lot have electrical outlets in the base of them, but my requests to use them went unanswered.

Regardless, the inconvenience of having to stop at a SC for a few minutes before driving home isn't enough to curb my enthusiasm.