Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Kind of Car Did The Model 3 Replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2011 infinity g37x. First new car I ever owned and was very reliable. But I love the way an EV drives and plugging in at home is awesome so I’m never going back. I agree with the people on here that say Tesla needs to step up their game on features (which is kind of weird to say) but I believe most of them can be fixed OTA. Android auto/Apple car play will never happen IMO.

I will be replacing my 2007 Odyssey. No more carseats and one kid has his own car now so I can downsize and get something fun! I've been waiting (and saving) to get a Tesla for a long time now. I pick it up today and I can't wait!! Kid number 2 is super excited that he gets his learner's permit next year. He thinks he's going to be driving my Tesla. NOT A CHANCE! I'll take him driving in his brother's car. LMAO!!!

I will be replacing my 2007 Odyssey. No more carseats and one kid has his own car now so I can downsize and get something fun! I've been waiting (and saving) to get a Tesla for a long time now. I pick it up today and I can't wait!! Kid number 2 is super excited that he gets his learner's permit next year. He thinks he's going to be driving my Tesla. NOT A CHANCE! I'll take him driving in his brother's car. LMAO!!!
I let my kids drive my Tesla while they were learning to drive. It would have been too much of a sacrifice to take the old gas guzzlers instead. I think with the regen braking they’re less likely to get into an accident anyway.

Last few cars: ‘15 M3, ‘16 Caddy ATS-V and ‘16 GT-R

Currently ‘16 model S 75 and keeping it

Picking up a P3D hopefully within this next week.

None of my previous cars made me feel the way the P3D did from a stop. Really like the size of the 3.

Traded wife's 2017 Audi RS3 for M3 Performance. I swore I would not buy an EV until there was one that matched or exceeded the RS3's considerable performance at about the same price point. Initial M3P performance was equal or almost equal. With Elon's 5% free power increase, the M3P definitely stepped ahead.

RS3 1/4 mile time ~ 11.9 to 12.1 seconds
M3P (after update) ~ 11.7 seconds consistently across every test i have seen

Braking, cornering and race track performance are all either equal or favor the M3P.

When Tesla lowered the price to the low $60K range, the M3P hit the requisite price point.

We recently moved and now expect to drive about 20K miles annually. The savings from driving the M3P will be huge. The RS3 is a very fun car, but it sucks premium fuel like a freshman at a frat party sucks beer. I was averaging about 18 MPG at $3.50 to $3.75 per gallon. By contrast, electricity here (SW Washington State) costs about $0.085 per kWh. Thus, M3P saves several thousand dollars a year while delivering equal or better performance and a much quieter ride than the RS3. For me, this was a watershed moment when EVs crossed over from green convenience and/or novelty items to serious automotive contenders.

2011 infinity g37x. First new car I ever owned and was very reliable. But I love the way an EV drives and plugging in at home is awesome so I’m never going back. I agree with the people on here that say Tesla needs to step up their game on features (which is kind of weird to say) but I believe most of them can be fixed OTA. Android auto/Apple car play will never happen IMO.

I don’t even see the point of CarPlay and Android Auto on the Model 3, and take that from someone who has likely used CarPlay longer than most people (late 2015 in my VW Golf). I used CarPlay every day in my last car for 3.5 years. Don’t miss it at all in the Model 3. Bluetooth Apple Music works perfectly, and navigation is right there on the screen!

2003 VW Golf TDI - still runs fine but I like the EV concept and for me the SR+ beats all the alternatives in terms of range, design and technology, even if it is a bit more expensive (though not by much). I will be using on-steet charging but can easily do 1 charge per week with my normal commute and there are 4 points within a 5 minute walk, so I believe it will be practical.

My M3 replaces two ICE Vehicles:

I thought my 2004 BMW Z4 was the bee’s knees, but I don’t miss driving it at all.

My 1999 VW Eurovan camper was state of the art 20 years ago. But it’s long in the tooth, and parts are starting to get scarce. Now we go camping in the M3, towing a T@G teardrop trailer.

Reactions: ReddykwRun