Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What my Prius has and Tesla doesn't.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All,

I am the one that started this discussion. Sorry. All I had in mind is that I hope by the time I order my Tesla, most of this things will be implemented. Note that these are not minor shortcomings on a near-supercar. In Europe we appreciate those things (re: Merc and Bmw) + Just google to the new S-class from Mercedes features. The biggest shortcoming is the GPS not being able to turn to the direction the car goes. Now it is up to Tesla to install enough quickchargers along the main roads in central Europe. This will be the one-and-only way to get started here. I hope for the best and look forward to have Tesla listening to these wishes. I give them a lot of credit for a car that is so recent on the market.
Regards,
Walter

Which things, if not implemented, would keep you from buying the car? And honestly, would you claim that are major shortcomings? The design aesthetic of the Prius lends itself to function over all other things. Some prefer this and others may not.
I had all of those things in my last car and do I miss them in Model S? No and I don't count the days until they arrive via SW/HW update but YMMV.
Was my last car a work of design/electronic art? No :wink:

I own a 2009 Prius. Of all the things the op listed, the hand holds are the only omission from the Tesla I care about. He failed to mention the laundry hanger, though. BIG omission. I think I have to cancel my Model S. :)

Things I like about my Prius. It is still has close to the best fuel efficiency of Hybrid ICEs. (I still get pleasure at the gas station saying "23 dollars!?!" in a loud, disgusted voice when there's an SUV next to me) The Blue Tooth integration is best in class. Price (I paid about 25K new during the nuclear winter of the auto industry plus state sales tax holiday on hybrids). I like the looks of it - in a cute kind of "face only a mother could love" sort of way. It didn't seem to hurt my dating success either, though that probably only works in Seattle. Rock solid reliable.

Things I dislike about my Prius. User interface in general. The "DVD Navigator" (AKA map/gps) is dreadful. You actually have to use the manual (big thick one, too) in order to figure out how it works. FAIL. I hate it so much I use my phone/Google maps for navigation. The phone/dialer/phone book interface is terrible. I always have to go the manual to figure out how to add a speed dial entry. FAIL. I also hate that selecting the phone icon goes to different screens depending on whether the car is moving or not. (I get the reason why, just think they should have consistency. The efficiency screens are amazingly wasteful of space. I want to know when the motor is running, when regen is working, battery SOC and MPG (instant and average) on one screen not two and in front of me, not to the side. toss everything else. we don't need cutesy animations or the number of watt hrs regened or MPG over the last 30 minutes. And, of course, the UI will never change cause Toyota doesn't get that computer software can be updated. In fact, I don't think Toyota gets computer software at all.

I'm going to keep my Prius since it's been a rock solid reliable car and it's paid for. My kid will probably drive it more than me, though.

Both the Prius and the Tesla Model S are significant in terms of alternative energy vehicles. While both are very different cars in terms of handling, style, and price points, both of them are playing very significant roles in reducing our dependence on oil, and both are very valuable in the continuing development in all these new technologies that will improve air quality (especially in areas where coal power plants are not used), reduce oil dependence, etc. In the late 1990's and early 2000's, the Prius was so far ahead of its time in technology at that time, and look where we are now, with more and more hybrids coming out, as well as other technologies that are finally improving mileage across the different manufacturers. I'm very excited for the future of Tesla Motors, and hoping to see some high range all electric cars at lower price points over the next 8-10 years.

I own a 2010 Prius. It actually have respectable power if you floor the accelerator, but the MPG would tank. Most of the time I try to drive it in an efficient manner, and power is lacking in that context. Its electric motor is anemic and I often find an almost full battery but not being able to take advantage of it before the end of a trip.

Not totally a propos to this thread but this raised the issue of the Prius battery in my mind. Any early Prius owners remember the argument about battery replacement and the many thousands ($10,000 is a number I remember) it would cost? I sold my 2006 Prius for the Model S and it was still going strong 48-51 mpg. I'm not sure how you tell that the battery is going bad except for a drop in your mileage. A friend of mine just replaced the battery in his 2005 Prius for $2500. He hadn't noticed any big changes in his mileage and I expect it was done because the dealer told him it needed it. Reminds me of the current argument against battery replacement for the Model S.

Anyway I still have a Plug In Prius which my wife drives now. Great car but it would drive me crazy when the ICE runs to work the heater or warm up the battery in winter.