Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What my Prius has and Tesla doesn't.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WaWa's points are definitely true, however, Prius was constructed and developed by an existing mega company with very deep pockets and and a great deal of experience and feedback from customers over a very long period. Tesla is a brand new company (relatively speaking) and has made some decisions that not all of us consumers agree with. They are however making great strides already improving this new car! All I can say is Fantastic, Bravo, I look forward to the improvements as they come out.

RNG

Lets not forget some of the other things the Prius has (I owned two).

A Start button
A gasoline habit (although not nearly as bad as some)
A dealer to haggle/put up with
A muffler
A number of more seconds in its 0-60 (and other) times.
A (comparative) lack of storage and passenger space.
A lack of OTA updates

And I agree, the MS is not perfect. It is however far closer to perfect than the Prius.
And, it is better now than it was at launch and continues to improve.

obviously you know something that I don't. Clearly the post said he's a Prius owner. He has 3 posts, and registered this year - how is he a "well-respected" forum member? Additionally, the OP said "I really am a Tesla enthusiast and a near future buyer"

You were not responding to the OP's post, you quoted dhrivnak's post. Bonnie was talking about dhrivnak, not the OP.

That's the most amount of snippiness I've seen in a thread only two pages long. ....

I like to see a low limit on the number of cup-throwers a vehicle has - this march towards making our vehicles the eating establishment of choice for many Americans is, in my not very humble opinion, boorish.

Which is kinda snippy of you.... FL climate means that children and older people really do suffer from dehydration and like many people we rarely go out without at least bottles of water in the car, does that mean we're unmannered or crude or does that man we're caring parents?

#cupholdersrock

Don't degenerate into this guys. This is the sort of thing a troll thrives on.
Love my Model S, won't go back to any gas car. But there are things about the Prius that are better. For many of us the total CO2 emissions are lower b/c our electricity comes predominantly from coal. (and don't tell me to install solar panels, I would if I had the $30k to do so, but I don't after spending $90k on a car).

The creature comforts of the Prius are better, tons of interior storage, the hidden cubby for tissues, the eye-glass holder, plenty of cup holders and in-door storage. Lessons Tesla needs to learn, esp. in the Gen III since that will target a lot more families.

The GPS IMO, is not as good other than the ability to select direction of travel or North up...but with the turn by turn (in the direction of travel) I still prefer the convenience and huge map of the Model S.

They're different cars and nobody should be insulted by someone preferring one over the other. I own and love both, but I love my Prius like a guy who owns both a '67 Mustang and a '13 Porsche--different reasons to love them both.

What my S2000 has and my Tesla doesn't:

• Better handling in corners
  • Makes you a better driver - you have to learn how to be really fast in the corners because otherwise you'll be really slow on the straights
  • Doesn't babysit you - if you lift in a corner, you'll go spinning
  • Has an extra pedal!
  • Makes a big stink when you start it
  • Makes loud noises
  • Saves on your power bill - it uses expensive and smelly gasoline instead
  • No distracting clock, never mind a touchscreen
  • Sound system doesn't distract you either (because it's so crappy I don't turn it on)

The point of this parody is that NO one car can be all things to all people. The Model S is one hell of a kick-ass car, but it can't be everything to everyone.

(Oh, and it has ONE cupholder... like my Roadster. Only it kinda blocks the stick shift.)

I for one agree with OP, if I had 100K right now I would definitely not purchase a performance MS
Why? Well as op pointed out, the lack of miniature storage space and only 2 cup holders is downright ridiculous.

Forget about the cool technology this car features and forget the innovative powertrain.
Do I want to drive a car that no longer has me worried about transmission and engine malfunctions? No longer worried about taking it to the dealership for repairs and getting ripped off everytime? Of course I do, but not if that car has few cup holders

#snippy

It has range. I love how everyone on this forum acts like an ICE car is so bad. Can buy 2 Prius and enough gas for 10 years for both or a Model S, hmmmm I wonder why some people aren't ready for an electric vehicle yet.

It has range. I love how everyone on this forum acts like an ICE car is so bad. Can buy 2 Prius and enough gas for 10 years for both or a Model S, hmmmm I wonder why some people aren't ready for an electric vehicle yet.

Yes, and by that measure a smart car makes infinitely more sense than a Prius. However, I wouldn't want to drive either of them on my mountain road commute to work.

I own a 2012 Prius and a P85. I recently had my Prius serviced where my daughter drove the Prius and I drove the Tesla (we went for lunch during servicing). I was swarmed at the dealership by sales people wanting to see the Tesla. One sales person said that this was their dream car and that they were only working at the Toyota dealer while trying to get a job at Tesla. They whispered to me that the Toyotas were 1.1 cars whale the Tesla was a 2.0 dream car! They all wanted to take test drives but didn't want to get into trouble. Very amusing!

On the drive home I drove the Prius and noticed that engine was running rough. I turned around to take it back dealership. I then noticed that when I stepped on the accelerator the engine seemed to be slipping and was not responsive. I soon realized that this is just the way the Prius always runs. How soon I forgot after being spoiled by a week with my Model S. I can never go back to an ICE!

I loved my Prius, but there really isn't any comparison.

And how hard would it be for Tesla to add better cup holders, storage.... Etc? The GPS is simply a software update. You can't fix bad engineering easily but the interior shouldn't be more than a year or two away from some small improvements at least.

The Model S is vastly superior to my Ford Focus Electric. And my FFE is superior to a Prius by a similar margin. The little things that the Model S doesn't have are annoying, I do love my Sunglass holder in my FFE, but really that is pretty trivial and easy to fix aftermarket. In the future we will see Tesla vehicles with such trivial comforts. It is just a matter of time. I would happily spend the money on a Tesla if I had the free funds.

..snip... Prius has: (1) A sunglasses place in the ceiling. (2) Sun-covers (however you call it) with mirrors and automatic lights and stronger than the this plastic ones in the Tesla. (3) Ceiling grips above all doors. (4) Adjustable head rests. (5) GPS that can set to the direction the car goes (not only North). (6) In all doors room for 'things' even drinks.
To his point, and having the Model S for 6 months, here's the things I'd like as well:
#1, #3, #6.

The sunglass thing was put to good use by my wife in her old car. Now she uses her purse, which stores between the seats in a very convenient area that I'm sure the Prius doesn't have and ... maybe the sunglass thing isn't really needed.

Grips would be nice. No argument.

Door pockets would also be nice. Don't really need them, but it would be nice overall.

The not-needed:
-- (2) improved visors (sun shade / covers). The ones in there work remarkably well and don't miss vs others. Try it, you'll see.
-- (4) adjustable head rests. The seats work well for all but the very short and very tall. I'm not either, so don't need the feature. I've read that tall people (2 meters plus) find them a bit small.
-- (5) GPS screen rotate. The mini-screen that pops up to the left of the speedometer shows the option in the direction I'm traveling, including lanes. This is so much better and I don't care about the main map screen at all. Mostly just listen to the turn-by-turn directions and keep my eyes on the road anyhow.